Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the standardl tip size to play Snooker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the standardl tip size to play Snooker.

I used to play with 8 or 8.5mm tip sizes earlier, since I've migrated to a different place, I found all the cues here has 9mm or higher tip size, and also all the websites on the internet selling cues have 9mm or higher. I was looking to buy a new cue on the web for long, and finally I have made my mind for a MW cue,(which by default has 9.5mm) (:joyous:thnx 2 the TSF members for suggesting me the MW cue) but I want the tip size exactly what the most pro uses on their tournaments like we see on the TV, so can anyone plz tell me what is the standard size of the tip? It will help me order my new cue with such tip size.
    Thnx.

Most tips sold as 9.5mm or 10.00m. Once they're fitted people trim them to suit and they can end up all different sizes. I've always fitted a 10.00mm myself and I guess after a bit of playing-in and trimming it's probably 9.75ish.

Comment

tsering:

To answer your question on pro tip sizes. First of all this is a matter of personal preference. Tip sizes amongst the pros range from around 8.5mm for Shaun Murphy to just a tad over 10mm for John Higgins with the bulk of the pros in the 9.5mm area but usually slightly smaller, maybe 9.4mm or 9.3mm.

So 'you pays yer money and takes yer chances' as the saying goes

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

As said, tip sizes are personal preference.

I think you have answered your own question in the fact you preferred using 8mm-8.5 and now finding it difficult using larger tips.

A proffessional player could technically play well with any cue/tip size.

Comment

Thanks for the valuable suggestions here, but I want to know the real facts and carry on with it.
          For long screw shots, which is a better option? A larger tip size or a smaller one, because I have read somewhere, (I don't remember where), that a larger tip will cover larger part of the cue ball, so, there is less chance for miss cueing.

Comment

Correct but smaller tip size gives more reaction on the white meaning you could screwback further.

That said technique is more important. I could try and screwback with 8mm tip, yet ronnie would be able to do it much more efficently and effectively than me with 11mm tip.

There are a few threads on here regarding tip size, what pros use for cue tips and sizes. Happy reading.

Comment

A deep screw to come quite far or say a long screw shots. How should we strike the cue ball at bottom, Like a punch from Mike Tyson or much like a snake bite?

Comment

Working...
              X