Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just tried the chalk less tip.

Hi,
    I have just tried a few shots with the grip tip, a chalk less tip of ebay. I paid £10 for three of the 11mm tips with free delivery. It’s a silicone compound I believe and is very soft and pliable, the tip glued on very well, and the overhang was trimmed easily to be flush, I then took out my file and encountered my first problem, as I filed the Tip the top edge sort of curled up over, I continued all the way around and then had to peel off this excess as the tip resembled a Yorkshire pudding, after eating...sorry peeling away the sides the tip had a reasonable enough shape so of I went off to play all excited.
    When I got my first chance to hit a ball I tried a straight pot dead centre of the cue ball and yeah it potted and felt good, so I replaced the balls and tried again , and again the same result, it’s looking good I thought.....then a simple screw back , I played the shot with no extremes of side our power but it still went completely wrong, sending the cue ball in a whole new line which David Beckam would have been proud of, I had to try the screw back again and again it went wrong , I had the same problem with using side, and to add insult to injury the orange glow from my orange grip tip was starting to get under my skin , so I decided to do the only thing left ...I ripped it off and binned it.
    Still got two left...any offers ...lol.

ill give u nothing if you throw them away or make a "will it blend" video n post it on youtube

Comment

I got a free sample of these off the guy who has the distribution rights for europe, same results when cut down, but as long as there kept at 11mm still make a pretty decent pub pool tip, which is the only market i can see for them!
      Did you get the cue goo with it, any good?
      No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Sorry to hear that bud. Ocht well, at least you gave it a shot, so good on you for being open minded. I guess we can now safely say that this bird ain't gonna fly. Or at least not fly in a straight line.
        Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
          I got a free sample of these off the guy who has the distribution rights for europe, same results when cut down, but as long as there kept at 11mm still make a pretty decent pub pool tip, which is the only market i can see for them!
          Did you get the cue goo with it, any good?
          just the tips mate , used super glue.

Comment

Originally Posted by buddfridgeman View Post
            Hi,
            I have just tried a few shots with the grip tip, a chalk less tip of ebay. I paid £10 for three of the 11mm tips with free delivery. It’s a silicone compound I believe and is very soft and pliable, the tip glued on very well, and the overhang was trimmed easily to be flush, I then took out my file and encountered my first problem, as I filed the Tip the top edge sort of curled up over, I continued all the way around and then had to peel off this excess as the tip resembled a Yorkshire pudding, after eating...sorry peeling away the sides the tip had a reasonable enough shape so of I went off to play all excited.
            When I got my first chance to hit a ball I tried a straight pot dead centre of the cue ball and yeah it potted and felt good, so I replaced the balls and tried again , and again the same result, it’s looking good I thought.....then a simple screw back , I played the shot with no extremes of side our power but it still went completely wrong, sending the cue ball in a whole new line which David Beckam would have been proud of, I had to try the screw back again and again it went wrong , I had the same problem with using side, and to add insult to injury the orange glow from my orange grip tip was starting to get under my skin , so I decided to do the only thing left ...I ripped it off and binned it.
            I lol'd at the yorkshire pudding, said it before on here, i just don't think i could play with a chalkless, as i enjoy a good auld chalk
            Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Hi,
              Were the tips quite soft? I ask because I believe certain silicones can be overly soft. I still think there is something in a synthetic tip to be had, but the rubber would have to be as hard as a laminate I'm guessing?

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
                Were the tips quite soft? I ask because I believe certain silicones can be overly soft. I still think there is something in a synthetic tip to be had, but the rubber would have to be as hard as a laminate I'm guessing?
                Yes mate the tips were indeed soft, a little like a rubber for pencils , that sort of feel.

Comment

Yes mate the tips were indeed soft, a little like a rubber for pencils , that sort of feel.
                  I'm going to speak to a materials scientist about this, when I get the chance. There must be a rubber that can be formulated with the right molecular structure, to be reasonably reactive (not overly so) but also consistent and dependable, hard wearing, and behaves as good if not better than the best tip and chalk we can think of. This whole piece of leather and sand (chalk) is far too outdated, leads to mess on the table, mess on hands and clothes, and leads to mis-cues. Basically, it's fit for the 19th century, not the 21st.

Comment

Surely any rubber structure would create a partial bounce effect of the cue ball when it leaves the tip... I think one would be surprised at the poundage of pressure a cue ball takes on a power shot. The balls jump now as it is...
                    JP Majestic
                    3/4
                    57"
                    17oz
                    9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                      Surely any rubber structure would create a partial bounce effect of the cue ball when it leaves the tip... I think one would be surprised at the poundage of pressure a cue ball takes on a power shot. The balls jump now as it is...
                      Most materials have recoil at the extremes, even leather. The ideal would be to create a rubber structure with as little recoil as leather, as you rightly point out. I'm thinking a lot of carbon/graphite content. Even more than car tyre rubber. Probably even more than the tyres on a Veyron. Silicone just won't cut it, and I should have thought about that and warned the OP. Nevermind.

Comment

Working...
                      X