Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does hard tip help on a whippy cue?

hi guys

I found my cue is too whippy and i often lose control..
    i play much better with a club cue as they are stiff..

my friend suggests me to put a hard tip on it.. is it true???

It would have to be a very whippy cue to cause problems like that. I wouldn't think a hard tip will make it any better although I've never tried that experiment as I can't seem to get a cue here that is less than medium-stiff so I've never had a whippy cue

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Do you want a whippy cue terry ?

Comment

the simple answer is no it won't help, but it might make you cue a bit smoother and therefore get better results.
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by crispian jones View Post
          Do you want a whippy cue terry ?
          He wants a whippy pear, he just never received it. :-(
          Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

crispian:

Sorry, I missed your original comment. The answer is yes...I'm looking for a cue that could be considered 'whippy' as an experiment and I would like to try out some different things with it.

If you have one you want to get rid of please let me know

Terry
            Terry Davidson

Comment

What specs are you looking for ?

Comment

crispian:

I'm looking for somewhere around 18oz - 18.5oz, 57.5" to 58", 9.2mm to 9.5mm ferrule, butt diameter 28mm to 28.5mm with a balance anywhere around 17" or so. Doesn't matter if it's 1pc or 3.4-butt and shaft should be ash and I don't care about the butt design. A butt socket would be nice although not necessary.

This is just an experiment so I'm not looking to pay a lot, especially for a whippy cue which would be hard to sell on I think and if it's cheap enough I will be doing some experiments on it (like changing the ferrule to black fibre, trying different tips, maybe adding some weight).

Terry
                Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                  crispian:

I'm looking for somewhere around 18oz - 18.5oz, 57.5" to 58", 9.2mm to 9.5mm ferrule, butt diameter 28mm to 28.5mm with a balance anywhere around 17" or so. Doesn't matter if it's 1pc or 3.4-butt and shaft should be ash and I don't care about the butt design. A butt socket would be nice although not necessary.

This is just an experiment so I'm not looking to pay a lot, especially for a whippy cue which would be hard to sell on I think and if it's cheap enough I will be doing some experiments on it (like changing the ferrule to black fibre, trying different tips, maybe adding some weight).

Terry
                  You're beginning to sound like the Hurricane. You sure you ain't got 200 Burroughes and Watts in states of different repair under you stair cupboard? ;-)
                  Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Var.. the first thing you should do replace your cue ferrule with thin wall ferrule or if you know where to get fiber resin ferrule use that.. then installed a hard rock cue tips.. as my self im using mike wooldridge black fiber ferrule and installed it with samsara jump break tip.. first time it feel odds.. because the feel of your cue and the sound it created.. but im telling ya that actually the righ feel you want if you are playing with whippy cue.. iv done it and many experiment regarding whippy cue and a hard tip.. to be honest that combinations is what make you unique from others.. whippy+thin walled ferrule+hard rock cue tip.. result super low deflections and you could controlled hard positioning cue ball without a sweat.. try it.. its not a bolox

Comment

Another thing im forgot to explain.. most coach they teaching player to cueing straight with certain technique eg.. shoulder bridge arm.. hand grip etc.. you should learn this first before ran into this type of cue spec.. as my self i did this quite long time.. then in a competitions when using a medium tip im start having feel my cue not responsive due tournament pressure.. even with proper technique it doesnt even help me at all..so that day im decide what are the most consistent feel i should have on my cue.. that why im on this cue spec.. heavy vibrations is the key to eliminate my inconsistenct feeling on my cue.. since that day im learn to control my cue with heavy vibrations and ofcourse doing few experiment with it aswell.. now what im need to do is adapt with the cue behavior like when im hitting ball then im notice my shaft start vibrating hard.. i would need only to shorten my back swing which is play slowly.. if then the table are slow mode.. im just need to cueing trough and letting cue power to do its job.. my point here no matter what cue you using.. you should know it behavior and learn to get used to it..

Here are My cue spec

18.5 oz 1pcs maple cue
                      Balance 18 inches from butt end
                      8.7mm tip size
                      Black fiber ferrule from mike wooldridge
                      Samsara break tip installed flushed to ferrule with super dome shape and with height of this tip is 7mm
                      Cue butt size are 28.5mm
                      super slim taper which im modified my self..
                      achivement im get with this cue on tournament score 73 break after 2 week on this spec.. since then that the cue spec im prefer in all match due its eliminate inconsistent feeling with cue when playing with variety type of table either slow or fast..
                      already use this cue spec for 2.5years

Comment

Working...
                      X