Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing cue tip, super glue(liquid or gel), corrode wood (glue eats into wood)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing cue tip, super glue(liquid or gel), corrode wood (glue eats into wood)

Hi guys,

I'm not sure why, but I sometimes have the above problem when changing of my cue tip...
    I do slowly slice off the old tip and remove the bits... but sometimes after removing the old tip, the wood seems to have
    corroded in. As if the glue had eat into the wood.

Then I would have to sand down the ferrule to make it level.
    My local buddies don't seems to always have this problem.

I have tried different types of glue. (Loctite Gel, Selleys liquid, cheapskate liquid glue, 3M).

Attached a picture of the problem. This was used with Loctite Gel.

Anyone face similar problem? Please do advise.

I doubt it would be the wood problem as it a very good cue from Trevor White.

IMG_0667.jpgIMG_0668.jpg

gallardo:

The only thing I can surmize here is you might be letting your tip wear down to the last little thin bit and all tips will get VERY hard when you do this and that hardness will effect the wood under the tip. You have to file down the top of the ferrule when replacing a tip anyway, however the indent in your tenon (wood inside the ferrule) does seem to be excessive.

Maybe that part of the wood is a little soft, but I suspect it's really your tip getting too thin before you replace it

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Another dodgy TW cue............................................... .only joking!

To me this looks like the glue has highlighted (or rather darkened) internal grain at the end of the shaft. It shouldn't affect the cue at all, in terms of playing.
      Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

I suspect you've accidentally scraped away the wood when getting the last bits of tip/glue off to then put a new one on.

Only 100% way of sorting is to take it/send it to a cue maker and have it levelled off in a lathe. Doing it by hand could very easily balls it up.
        Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Originally Posted by Deepscrew View Post
          I suspect you've accidentally scraped away the wood when getting the last bits of tip/glue off to then put a new one on.

Only 100% way of sorting is to take it/send it to a cue maker and have it levelled off in a lathe. Doing it by hand could very easily balls it up.
          It can be done at home, but it requires patience and skill. You can re-level the ferrule with a needle file by holding the file onto the middle of the ferrule and slowly rotating the cue for an hour or so. You have to hold it perfectly flat, or you will bevel the finish. Hmmm, maybe sending it back to Trev is the best idea; he'd probably only charge you a pint for the ten minutes it would take him.
          Last edited by Particle Physics; 31 August 2012, 01:10 PM.

Comment

I've used araldite rapide for a while now. Still carry a tube of superglue gel around with me just in case tho.

Comment

Hi guys...

Thanks for the advise. i have changed the tip and played today without problems.

@Terry, i dont really wear it down very thin. I normally uses a elk master.

I have file the top down with the ferrule before. Last time this problem occurs and has such problem.
              Then have change like 3 to 4 tips inbetween before my current post.
              The line there seemsto align with the grain of the cue though.

Hope the current tip dont fly off.

Comment

The wood looks just fine i cant see nothing wrong with it at all . Get a stanley knife and put the blade flush on the wood and see if it sits flush , thats how to tell if the ferrule and wood is level .

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                  The wood looks just fine i cant see nothing wrong with it at all . Get a stanley knife and put the blade flush on the wood and see if it sits flush , thats how to tell if the ferrule and wood is level .
                  Do you think those small brown areas look like scorch marks? I've seen such things using my dremel on various jobs, when going too quickly.

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
                    Do you think those small brown areas look like scorch marks? I've seen such things using my dremel on various jobs, when going too quickly.
                    Its prob either glue or and some of the old tip he,s taken off , that should come off easy with a stanley knife ( care taken ) .

Comment

Hi hotpot

actually there's a little part where the wood has sort of come off with the old tip as i believe that the glue had corroded with the wood.
                      If i use a blade to check for level, the wood would be below the ferrule level which is a concave surface.

I'm curious if anyone had such problem before because this is not the first time for this cue and my previous cue I've met similar problems also. It does not occur every time. I've changed a lot of tip throughout the years I played snooker, the way I change is also similar to those guides posted here before.

I still do not know what I've done wrong accept what Terry had said, but I don't think I've used the tip till so thin that the hardness cause the wood to give way.

Comment

I doubt if the wood as come off on its own , you may have accidentally taken it off with a knife when removing the old tip/s , it can happen so easy without realising it . Are you sure the wood is below the ferrule or is there glue etc causing a high spot . Either way you need the ferrule and wood completely level or you are going to have problems .

Comment

the chipped there is not likely to be scraped off with a knife. it's like being corroded or just give way and came off with the glue and left over tip. That is why I am quite puzzled with this problem. I'm wondering whoever has similar situation before could share their experience.

Comment

nothing wrong with that shaft - superglue gel - stick tip on and play.
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                            X