Rest Head Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rest Head Problems

As the title says, I am having problem with my rest heads.

When I play a shot, tram lines are being left on the cue. They are dark marks. I will upload pics later if needed to explain better.

I have blitzed each head with wire wool in an attempt to remove any dirt/grime from the heads which may be causing this, but the problem persists.

Am I to simply refinish the heads with brasso or something similar?

Any thoughts?

Very odd, never seen it before. Try to neat vinegar to remove residue.

Comment

Rest Head Problems

If its a maple cue then you will get black marks from brass rest heads. It's why you see polymer heads used for American Pool rest heads as 99.9% of people use maple shafts and they mark easily.

Comment

That'll be the problem, I do play with a maple cue.

Is there anything that can be done to combat this? Plastics and polymers for rest heads are not my cup of tea.

Comment

I dislike using plastic rest heads too as they tend to be rather flimsy. It's quite rare but I did come across some which are quite well-made with good weight and stability.

Sometimes I wonder if those bruised and battered brass rest heads in the clubs are not damaging my cue finish in the long run. I am considering to get a personal rest. That could be your solution.

I recall seeing Darren Appleton using his personal retractable rest when playing American pool. Quite a nifty gadget; the extended length is the normal rest length, i.e. approx 57". Had my eyes on it but no idea where to get one. He probably had it custom made.
          Last edited by damienlch; 21 September 2012, 03:54 PM.
          When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Maybe try a chromed rest head, might not mark like a brass one and they look nice. Onbviously plastic shouldnt leave marks but they look crap and are very light.
            Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

On Nick Barrow's Snooker Gym CDs in the portion of training with the rest he illustrates the black marks on the shaft after a lot of use with the rest and he just buffs them out with a cloth. I cannot remember if he expalins where/how they come from. Maybe over the weekedn I will find the piece and pay closer attention
              From your OP it seems that you are getting the marks as soon as you use the rest? I have not come across this.
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I would guess that the first instance was down to the cue still having some surface oil and that in turn was picking up tarnish from the brass. After having cleaned the rest, I'm sure the problem will now be the rest is still holding some tarnish from being polished and that is what is being transferred to the cue.
                I would try using some meths to remove any remaining tarnish on the rest and dry the rest with paper towels. Try it after that and if its still doing it repeat the process. This should work m8.
                Hope you getting on well with cue.
                "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Working...
                X