Cue oil, Tips and Glue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue oil, Tips and Glue.

Hi, I'm new here and I have a few questions.

What kind of cue oil do you use? Or you prefer cue wax?
    How often should I use the cue oil? Heard about if supplied too much cue oil the ash will turn firmer and lose it's elasticity.

I bought a few coutts new tips and mike's super tips. Heard a lot of people are using phoenix tips. Want to have a try but I don't know I should use soft or medium. I'm using a Elk tip.

Super glue or araldite glue? Heard about using super glue will also turn the ash firmer. What kind of glue is everyone using?

I have these questions because last time I let the snooker club change my tip and looks like my cue's ferrule was chewed by a monster. Don't want that happen again.

Many thanks!

I am using Parris's oil as he suggested on his website once every 2 or 3 months.

If you are not hurry, araldite glue may be a better choice personally.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Comment

Originally Posted by Euphony View Post
      I am using Parris's oil as he suggested on his website once every 2 or 3 months.

If you are not hurry, araldite glue may be a better choice personally.

Hope it helps.

Cheers
      Cheers mate! I'm going to get one for my parris cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by Samling View Post
        Hi, I'm new here and I have a few questions.

What kind of cue oil do you use? Or you prefer cue wax? raw linseed, generally i use wax only on older cues.
        How often should I use the cue oil? Heard about if supplied too much cue oil the ash will turn firmer and lose it's elasticity it.depends how often use it, the elasticity thing is drivel.

I bought a few coutts new tips and mike's super tips. Heard a lot of people are using phoenix tips. Want to have a try but I don't know I should use soft or medium. I'm using a Elk tip.

Super glue or araldite glue? Heard about using super glue will also turn the ash firmer. What kind of glue is everyone using? loctite gel is as good as any.

I have these questions because last time I let the snooker club change my tip and looks like my cue's ferrule was chewed by a monster. Don't want that happen again.always better to do it yourself and spend time getting it right unless you live near a cue maker etc!

Many thanks!
        reply is above.
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Welcome mate
          If You do a search in the top right the are hundreds of threads with detailed replies but adr is a good person to listen to. Good old raw linseed oil is cheap and as good as anything. You don't need to oil every month I oiled my cue a year ago and it doesn't feel like it needs any attention. Good quality finish should last a fair time.
          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

I've always done my own tips and found superglue to be ok as long as you use the gel type . Normal stuff is to thin and runny and can easily get it everywhere ! From the very edge of the ferrell to about 3 inch's down, i wrap masking tape fairly thickly to protect the cue before commencing. I also use linseed oil on my cue but make sure that it is RAW and not boiled !

Comment

Thanks mate. Helps a lot.

Comment

Thanks mate
                I tried but I can't open it.

Comment

Thanks. Really helpful.

Comment

Originally Posted by rovnos View Post
                    I've always done my own tips and found superglue to be ok as long as you use the gel type . Normal stuff is to thin and runny and can easily get it everywhere ! From the very edge of the ferrell to about 3 inch's down, i wrap masking tape fairly thickly to protect the cue before commencing. I also use linseed oil on my cue but make sure that it is RAW and not boiled !
                    Hi Rovnos - another new forumite to who the waxing/oiling of a cue is a new and mysterious art! Do you mask the top 3" because that part doesn't NEED oiling or to prevent any possible oiling on to the tip? Also - do you oil the shaft AND butt, or shaft only?
                    Apologies if these are stupid questions!

Comment

the taping is when retipping to ensure you dont accidently scratch/mark the ferrule and shaft.
                      do not tape during oiling just be careful not to get the oil on/near the tip
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks Dean - I did think it a bit drastic just to prevent accidentally oiling the tip - but didn't want to appear an idiot by saying so!

Comment

Hi Queuetip,
                          the masking tape is just for re-tipping, so you don't run the risk of getting any glue on the ferrel or shaft.It also protects the shaft when shaping the tip .As for putting linseed oil on your cue, it really depends on the cue, but generally speaking, most butt sections have some kind of finish on them already so would not take the oil. Usually its just the tip section (shaft) that needs doing but again, some less expensive cues might already have some kind of finish on them that would prevent them taking the oil. Your best bet if not sure is to ask some on at your local club. Most club owners deal with members cues on a very regular basis.

Comment

QueueTip,
                            follow this link when doing your tip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIrpdPZPFEI

Comment

Working...
                            X