Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tip changes its shape after a few days

hi everyone.

After i played wiyh my new tip for a few days it changed its shape. I always use the same side to pot that could be the reason. should I change a new tip or shape the old one? what kind of tool I can use? after I tried more than 5 tip tools I think a piece of sandpaper is the best but I don't know what kind of shape I should make.

best regards

ps im using a mike tip.

Don't sand the tip straight away after you put it on. When I put on a new tip a shape it to the general shape I like then play with it for about 2 weeks and let the tip bed in before I reshape it and it always stays how I like it if you are constantly mauling with it I find they go all shapes.

Comment

I take it when you say your using Mike's tips you mean his supertips......??

From my experience using them they don't any bedding it and they hold there shape very well after shaping for the first time, but if they do need re-shaping sandpaper is definitely one of the best options.....

How are you getting the tip to wear on one side so much.... Are you playing a lot of one particular shot??

There's plenty of good threads on this subject, showing all the different types of shapes of tips that people find what works for them...

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...id-tips)/page2
      Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
      Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

My biggest tip of all for this and it has cost me a lot of money through the years (I wish someone had told me this) is...

Always finish the tip with very fine sandpaper (###+ grit)

This reason being is that your eyes are seeing the tip in a particular shape however as the fibres are roughed up so much with a medium or coarse grit, it actually isn't a true representation of the shape of the tip which you only get after compression (i.e hitting a cue ball) The tip fibres are not compressed and open to movement. If you finish sanding with very fine paper, the tip will hold its shape much better and the life of your tips will extend greatly.
        Last edited by poona; 10 February 2013, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Wouldn't know about that I've always used 400! Tempted to try it and see though
          800 is alright for roughening the tip but takes ages to shape it if it's all you have XD
          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Dont reshape the tip with sandpaper as the loose fibres will make it softer , turn the cue upside down and play some firm screw shots or hit the tip with a ball or hammer to level it .

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
              Wouldn't know about that I've always used 400! Tempted to try it and see though
              800 is alright for roughening the tip but takes ages to shape it if it's all you have XD
              Yeah my numbers are prob off as I just buy paper thats labelled 'very fine'

Comment

Only ever shape mine once (pro granite) you can always just tap the tip with a spare cue ball to compress it (only ever did this with elks as I didn't really play enough to ever bed it in properly at the time lol). Don't use the club ball though bit unfair to wear their equipment out to shape your tip. I had a spare cheap ball lying around at the time. I use sandpaper to roughen it up very occasionally but only 800 and not to shape it further.
                sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

I use the little red domers, get it spot on every time, use a new one to get the general shape, then an old worn down one to smooth it, just make sure you only turn it one way or tears your tip up a bit.
                  No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
                    I use the little red domers, get it spot on every time, use a new one to get the general shape, then an old worn down one to smooth it, just make sure you only turn it one way or tears your tip up a bit.
                    What are "little red domers"? Not familiar with that terminology.
                    Thanks
                    The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

I think he could be talking about these Wayne......

Screen shot 2013-02-10 at 14.53.59.png
                      Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                      Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
                        Don't sand the tip straight away after you put it on. When I put on a new tip a shape it to the general shape I like then play with it for about 2 weeks and let the tip bed in before I reshape it and it always stays how I like it if you are constantly mauling with it I find they go all shapes.
                        Thats what im thinking about. Maybe its better play for a few days before shape the tip.

Comment

Originally Posted by coomsey76 View Post
                          I take it when you say your using Mike's tips you mean his supertips......??

From my experience using them they don't any bedding it and they hold there shape very well after shaping for the first time, but if they do need re-shaping sandpaper is definitely one of the best options.....

How are you getting the tip to wear on one side so much.... Are you playing a lot of one particular shot??

There's plenty of good threads on this subject, showing all the different types of shapes of tips that people find what works for them...

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...id-tips)/page2
                          Yes they are supertips. I played follow for about 6 hours or so in three days. The fourth day I found the tip changed. I only use the same side to pot. Badge up.

Comment

Originally Posted by poona View Post
                            My biggest tip of all for this and it has cost me a lot of money through the years (I wish someone had told me this) is...

Always finish the tip with very fine sandpaper (###+ grit)

This reason being is that your eyes are seeing the tip in a particular shape however as the fibres are roughed up so much with a medium or coarse grit, it actually isn't a true representation of the shape of the tip which you only get after compression (i.e hitting a cue ball) The tip fibres are not compressed and open to movement. If you finish sanding with very fine paper, the tip will hold its shape much better and the life of your tips will extend greatly.
                            Will have a try. Many thanks.

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                              Dont reshape the tip with sandpaper as the loose fibres will make it softer , turn the cue upside down and play some firm screw shots or hit the tip with a ball or hammer to level it .
                              Maybe a American pool ball.

Comment

Working...
                              X