Reducing the thickness of a tip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing the thickness of a tip.

I know many players prefer to play with a thin wafer on the end of their cue as they believe it gives them a more direct contact with the cue ball.

If you were reducing a thick tip down to a wafer, would you take some of the back before gluing onto the cue or would you slice some off the top and reshape after it was glued on.

What are your thoughts? A thick tip or a thin wafer?
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

I prefer to keep the tip as high as possible myself, but of all the tips I do, most want them shaving a touch.

Doesn't matter so much with the laminates.

Comment

sounds like a recipe for damaging your cue to me!
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

You seem to post a lot of strange threads, everyone has different preferences regarding tips so you'll not gain much knowing how forum members shape theirs... What I will say is your always better taking the height of the bottom especially with laminates...
        Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
          You seem to post a lot of strange threads, everyone has different preferences regarding tips so you'll not gain much knowing how forum members shape theirs... What I will say is your always better taking the height of the bottom especially with laminates...
          And yet there you are reading it and bothering to reply. Whats strange to one person isnt to another but I get your drift. I read many threads on here which are totally pointless. I'm quite sure none of yours are amongst them tho
          "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Yes I'd be quite surprised if some were I apologise that was maybe a tad rude, have a search for how do you shape your cue tip? You should find a thread with pictures and comments that may be of interest...
            Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Laminated or hard pressed tips should be left high imo . Elks etc are better thin as their too soft when left high .

Comment

I have a broken cue that I glue tips on to ( just to hold them in place ) then I slice them to the desired thickness and attach to my playing cue , Elks .

Comment

stay as they was made

Comment

Each to their own lol

Comment

i grind mine down a little. Straight out of the box, the thickness feels clumsy

Comment

I know what you mean , The smaller the ferrule the more clumsy they look and feel !!! There is no right or wrong way of tipping a cue as long as it does the job you expect it to do

Comment

It's all about personal preference regarding the size. Always sand from the bottom. Glue also plays a big part. If you use something like evostick then it will feel very soft and rubber like. A good super glue gell works well and quick. I have used blue diamonds for years but they are so inconsistent it's untrue. I now use a pheonix black laminated hard. Incredible tips. I used to go through tips like you wouldn't believe but these new tips are Fantastic. You can take your tip down low as long as the side wall has a mil or so in depth. They just don't go out of shape at all.

Trial and error.

Good luck.

Chris

Comment

Pheonix tip are the mutts nuts, i use the medium not tryed the hard yet but as tips go they are spot on

Comment

Hi , how long does it usually take before the phoenix tips start to do their stuff ?? I have used a talisman a number of years back but it felt like I had glued half a glass marble to the end of my cue , plus it would not take chalk at all !!! I am so reluctant to try the laminated tips

Comment

Working...
                              X