No announcement yet.

how does tip hardness effect the shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how does tip hardness effect the shot?

i play mainly english 8ball pool to a pretty high standard but i have never really experimented with tips ect only used elks and blue diamonds.

what effect does the hardness of a tip have on the whole shot in general and what tips and more likely to suit certain styles?

im looking for a new tip was thinking maybe a kamui but not sure how they would play on a 8ball table or what hardness i need.

please help all comments appreciated

This link here has some answers to your questions. Very academic n scientific.
    Require quite a bit of reading though .

http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/cue_tip.html

Comment

I use a Kamui black Medium and really like them. I've had no delamination issues as others have.

I always used to think soft tips were the best, but since using harder tips I find I have way less miscues and much more cue ball control. I have tried most of the tips out there and I have Moori V & Magic black ready to try, but they will have to be pretty special to get me to permanently change from Kamui.

Comment

Where dis u get the moori v ive wanted to buy one but cant find them in the uk?
        Rocket Ronnie Rules!!!

Comment

As I have found over many years...too many than I really care to remember!....a tip, no matter what make,either feels good or not. I used to swear by either Elk or Blue Diamond, but having recently tried a Kamui then I am now of a different belief. As we all know, a good tip can make even an average quality cue feel good. The 'tip' here lads...please forgive the pun...is try. .try and try again, until you find one that is compatible with you, your cue, and your game. Please do not be so influenced by others....know your own game and go with it.

GT

Comment

Originally Posted by craigslater View Post
            Where dis u get the moori v ive wanted to buy one but cant find them in the uk?
            Joerackem (Nielsens Billiards) on fleabay.

Comment

Hi all
              I am a beginner snooker leisure player.
              I recently bought a new cue (old stock unfortunately) from a shop (run by ex-pro).
              It came with a "blue diamond" tip. Now, I am not sure, but it seems very hard.
              Almost like too hard.
              I suspect this cue is very old stock from this shop and I am a little unhappy after paying almost the original retail price for it.
              It is too late to say anything to the seller, coz I am quite sure he will not give a hoot (because we bargained about the price).

Can you advise what is "good condition" and what is "time to change" the tip?
              The tip is also quite rounded. It is on the Ronnie O'sullivan Signature Cue from BCE (3-pc version and not the current 4-pc combo).

Any help will be much appreciated.
              TBH, I have not even played with this cue yet, after bringing it home yesterday.

Comment

Originally Posted by happy View Post
                Hi all
                I recently bought a new cue (old stock unfortunately) from a shop (run by ex-pro).
                Almost like too hard.
                I suspect this cue is very old stock from this shop and I am a little unhappy after paying almost the original retail price for it.
                It is too late to say anything to the seller, coz I am quite sure he will not give a hoot (because we bargained about the price).

The tip is also quite rounded. It is on the Ronnie O'sullivan Signature Cue from BCE (3-pc version and not the current 4-pc combo).

TBH, I have not even played with this cue yet, after bringing it home yesterday.
                BCE are mass produced in china, the original tips are usually cheap rubbish and hard as a rock, best get it changed if you like soft tips stick on a elkmaster or a real blue diamond...
                Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Hi all
                  Almost like too hard.

I had the same cue but didn't find the tip too hard, I suspect you may be right about it being a little older and maybe in need of a change.

The tip hardness might have some effect on the amount of screw/side you can apply safely, but I'm not 100% certain it makes enough difference to both us beginners. Instead it probably has more effect on the "feel" of the shot, so if it "feels" too hard for you then I'd change it - if it feels right you'll feel better playing with it.

Try a Talisman or Elk Master, or even a Mike Woolridge Super Tip. ADR147 (on this forum) sells tips and would be the best person to ask for relative hardness/softness of the various tips. Personally, I wouldn't shell out too much for a tip, as long as you're comfortable changing a tip you can buy a bunch of cheap ones and change until you find a good one - some of the cheaper brands are a bit variable in quality.
                  "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                  - Linus Pauling

Comment

Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
                    BCE are mass produced in china, the original tips are usually cheap rubbish and hard as a rock, best get it changed if you like soft tips stick on a elkmaster or a real blue diamond...
                    Thanks for the tip (pun not intended).
                    Are you certain my cue has a fake Blue Diamond? It is clearly stated on the cue with a sticker.
                    Is it allowed to sell cues with fake Blue Diamonds when it is from a company like BCE?

Comment

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
                      I had the same cue but didn't find the tip too hard, I suspect you may be right about it being a little older and maybe in need of a change.

The tip hardness might have some effect on the amount of screw/side you can apply safely, but I'm not 100% certain it makes enough difference to both us beginners. Instead it probably has more effect on the "feel" of the shot, so if it "feels" too hard for you then I'd change it - if it feels right you'll feel better playing with it.

Try a Talisman or Elk Master, or even a Mike Woolridge Super Tip. ADR147 (on this forum) sells tips and would be the best person to ask for relative hardness/softness of the various tips. Personally, I wouldn't shell out too much for a tip, as long as you're comfortable changing a tip you can buy a bunch of cheap ones and change until you find a good one - some of the cheaper brands are a bit variable in quality.
                      Thanks for the reply.
                      I will first play with it a couple of times and see how it goes.
                      As I said, I have not played it yet. Perhaps it is "ok".

Comment

Thanks for the tip (pun not intended).
                        Are you certain my cue has a fake Blue Diamond? It is clearly stated on the cue with a sticker.
                        Is it allowed to sell cues with fake Blue Diamonds when it is from a company like BCE?
                        ... Well if it saves them money I wouldn't be surprised, I assumed you had played with it so it may well be genuine and soft, as it's hard to tell without actually striking the cue ball...
                        Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

An elk master or similar tip only costs around 30p so I wouldn't be concerned if you need to replace it.

Comment

If you're a beginner I would advise to stick with Elkies or BDs. There are the safest to start with as there forgive the mistake. A hard laminated tip will make you pay the price immmediately for any bad cueing.

Non-laminated tips are generally softer, offer more grip on spin. Hard tips offer a better feeling on the stroke (firmer) but as said, you will miscue more easily. Not easy to master for beginners...
                            Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Working...
                            X