• To ME it feels like V for VICTORY!

Talisman M = good

switched to...

Mike Wooldridge Supertip = great

Different strokes for different folks!

=o)

Noel

Comment

• My preference is talisman soft by a country mile.Mike woolridge super tips would be my next choice.
      My deep screw shot
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

• i have been using talisman soft for a while now and i dont know if this is just me but the top layer keeps ripping of... and it has nothin to do wiv the retipping because the person in question is a very good retipper.. anyone else had this problem ?? they are not fakes because we ordered from peradon ...
        Home internationals England u16 B

Comment

• I've seen this happen with these tips, I've even had it happen to tips I've supplied to mates of mine over here in Germany.
          I think it has to do with the retipping of the cue. Even though you say you have a good retipper.
          If he is used to cutting through the tips in one go, like you can with BD's and Elk's then he'll have done it to the Talisman as well.

This of course puts to much strain on the bonding of the layered tip. If you tell him to "saw" through the tip and take off only very small amounts each time, then I'm pretty sure it won't happen again.

Give it a try and let me know what you think,

All the best,

Brian
          Quote : It took me eight hours a day for 16 years to become an overnight sensation! Cliff Thorburn

Comment

• Originally Posted by snooker_loopy View Post
            i have been using talisman soft for a while now and i dont know if this is just me but the top layer keeps ripping of... and it has nothin to do wiv the retipping because the person in question is a very good retipper.. anyone else had this problem ?? they are not fakes because we ordered from peradon ...
            did you order 11mm - i have seen this happen a few times with the smaller sizes.
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• If your tip man is using a lathe, two things might be happening. First your cutter must be very sharp and I find that using a slower speed helps prevent the tip from heating up. On a lathe the heat generated by a dull cutter and too high a speed tends to affect the glue.

If he is doing the job by hand, ignore these comments.

Mike

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
                If your tip man is using a lathe, two things might be happening. First your cutter must be very sharp and I find that using a slower speed helps prevent the tip from heating up. On a lathe the heat generated by a dull cutter and too high a speed tends to affect the glue.

If he is doing the job by hand, ignore these comments.

Mike
                I've never tried these...always used BD. Are there any restrictions on shaping the tip? Can any grade of sandpaper be used?

I just took a quick look at Talisman's site and he recommends twisting or spinning a fresh tip in a shaping dome. This sounds scary. Doing that with a solid leather tip would rip it to shreds!

Comment

• Talisman cue tips

HI Snooker fans by the way how much do they cost per tip i heard they are expensive.

Comment

• I wouldn’t use sand paper rougher than 120 grit. I have found that anything rougher seems to shred the leather, as compared to shaping it. Also the rougher grits seem to pull sideways on the tips. The shaping domes I have seen have two kinds of coarseness to them. I would again choose the less course and not apply any downward pressure to the shaft. The tips seem to delaminate when more of a sideways(if this is the right term) pressure is applied to them. Always use a sharp blade or tool.
                    I recently ordered 3 tips from their site, but forget what the cost was. They are excellent to deal with and my order arrived with a 4th tip (I believe for braking-pool) and a Talisman towel. I have always found them to be an excellent tip. Like another poster mentioned, periodically rough up the top of the tip because they seem to glaze over.

Mike

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
                      I wouldn’t use sand paper rougher than 120 grit. I have found that anything rougher seems to shred the leather, as compared to shaping it. Also the rougher grits seem to pull sideways on the tips. The shaping domes I have seen have two kinds of coarseness to them. I would again choose the less course and not apply any downward pressure to the shaft. The tips seem to delaminate when more of a sideways(if this is the right term) pressure is applied to them. Always use a sharp blade or tool.
                      I recently ordered 3 tips from their site, but forget what the cost was. They are excellent to deal with and my order arrived with a 4th tip (I believe for braking-pool) and a Talisman towel. I have always found them to be an excellent tip. Like another poster mentioned, periodically rough up the top of the tip because they seem to glaze over.

Mike
                      I stuck a Talisman 10mm cue tip on my cue in September and it played and felt great but now it not as good and looks shiny I little like wood perhaps I need to rough up the top of the tip a bit! I will give it a go with some fine sandpaper :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by snooker_loopy View Post
                        i have been using talisman soft for a while now and i dont know if this is just me but the top layer keeps ripping of... and it has nothin to do wiv the retipping because the person in question is a very good retipper.. anyone else had this problem ?? they are not fakes because we ordered from peradon ...

yes the last couple of tips i have had have been crap !!!!!! not using talisman again ,,,, using elkmaster at the mo,but going to try a wooldridge shortly,,how do they compare ???? are mikes softer,harder, ?????

Comment

• Put a Talisman H on last night, for the first time. Elkmaster previously. Never had an issue with the Elks, but I only get about 4 or 5 hours a week in. Just wanted to try something harder just to see. The Talisman is noticeably harder, no doubt. The sound alone tells it, going from a thunk to a clink.
                          I usually over hit the cue ball, using too much power for a shot. Strangely enough, with the added feel of the harder tip, I seem to be able to judge the softer shots better, just automatically using less force knowing the contact will be much crisper. This "adaptation" happened quite naturally after only 10 shots or so.
                          Another difference I've noticed is with my typical unintentional side. With the old routine of playing the cue ball the length of the table, trying to have it come staright back to the cue tip. As much time as I spend on this routine, I have just a small amount of left hand side on the cue ball. I'll keep experimenting, but it seems with the harder tip, there is less side to no side. I'm thinking that it may be because with the harder tip, the contact time between the tip and cue ball is shorter, therefore less time for unintentional side to be imparted (assuming I'm hitting center cue ball, and the side is due to small lateral movement of the tip, i.e. impefect cueing).
                          Anyway, going back to the opening thread, these are some things I've noticed so far, and look forward to tomorrow a.m. to do some more "testing".

Comment

• Originally Posted by RCMIGil View Post
                            Put a Talisman H on last night, for the first time. Elkmaster previously. Never had an issue with the Elks, but I only get about 4 or 5 hours a week in. Just wanted to try something harder just to see. The Talisman is noticeably harder, no doubt. The sound alone tells it, going from a thunk to a clink.
                            I usually over hit the cue ball, using too much power for a shot. Strangely enough, with the added feel of the harder tip, I seem to be able to judge the softer shots better, just automatically using less force knowing the contact will be much crisper. This "adaptation" happened quite naturally after only 10 shots or so.
                            Another difference I've noticed is with my typical unintentional side. With the old routine of playing the cue ball the length of the table, trying to have it come staright back to the cue tip. As much time as I spend on this routine, I have just a small amount of left hand side on the cue ball. I'll keep experimenting, but it seems with the harder tip, there is less side to no side. I'm thinking that it may be because with the harder tip, the contact time between the tip and cue ball is shorter, therefore less time for unintentional side to be imparted (assuming I'm hitting center cue ball, and the side is due to small lateral movement of the tip, i.e. impefect cueing).
                            Anyway, going back to the opening thread, these are some things I've noticed so far, and look forward to tomorrow a.m. to do some more "testing".

To place any variation in imparted side on the cueball, simply due to the tip alone would be misleading yourself I'd have thought. There is FAR FAR more chance of the main change being in YOUR cueing than in the differences with two fairly settled in tips, even if one of them is a fairly soft Elkmaster and the other a firm Talisman.

Yes, there is a major difference in tip effect when it's very soft to very hard, but, to be able to assess whether the tip alone is doing this, you would need to have the most incredibly accurate and consistent cueing, time after time.

Not that easy in reality.

The bottom line is, Talismans are tips, no more and no less. Some like them, some hate them, like other tips. If you like them, use them.....but......

They alone will not transform anyone's game.

Comment

• Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
                              T
                              They alone will not transform anyone's game.
                              Absolutely.

Just reporting my initial observations. Its entirely possible that the first time out with this tip, I didn't cue with my usual 3 or 4 " of left side by the time the cue ball is back at the cue after running the length of the table.

Comment

• Hello,

Although this thread is discussing about talisman brand, I hope someone can tell me what is wrong with the elkmaster tip just for once only?

The story goes like this: My friend bought 2 elkmaster tips 2 weeks ago but he still not using them yet. In time, one of them is now "growing" up from 9.25mm to 9.50mm. The other one still remain the same size.

Questions are:-
                                1) Since this is the first case that happened to his virgin elkmaster tip, is this "growing" tip just a NORMAL thing to happen?; or
                                2) This "growing itself" tip is now become useless (which mean ready to be dumped)?

Need some tip experts advise here.

p/s-my friend is now planning to buy Talisman Soft Pro tips now. How good are they? Give some comments here folks.

Thanks.
                                My cueing sucks

Comment

Working...
                                X