Consider the Kamui...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consider the Kamui...

So, i've had a Kamui(M) tip fitted to my Parris Classic for a few weeks. I've just started playing a bit better, so may decide to keep the Parris instead of selling it.

I've heard of this Kamui chalk, which seems to allow "Up to 44 shots without chalking".

At £20 odd per block, i'd be wanting it to last a session

But anyway... I use normal Green Triangle chalk, and chalk the tip before EVERY shot. I use this more as part of my pre-shot drill, and I find it helps slow things down a little.

Is there much point in using this chalk? Does anyone REALLY go 5 shots, let alone 44 shots if they're playing regularly?

Like most things, it is subjective. From a personal point of view I do think it's worth it. When I first started using kamui tips I tried a whole host of different chalks the best being the triangle spruce imo, but it's very difficult to get in this country. So I turned to the kamui chalk. I have had the same piece for 9-10 months now and I play 2-3 times a week. I've used about half of it, in that time.

Some say it transfers too much to the cue ball however I have only experienced that at the start of using a new tip. Let me explain, I find the best way to use the tip and chalk is to buy the kamui gator grip tool and use it to work the chalk in maybe after each frame or so at the start of its life. First week or so. After that I find very little chalk transfer onto the cue ball, as long as it's not over chalked. I chalk about every five shots, and tbh there is still more than enough to play another 10+ shots so I just dab. I have the chalk up pre-shot routine also however I've got into the habit of pretending to now lol.

Yes its fairly pricey but I don't think its expensive.

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
      Like most things, it is subjective. From a personal point of view I do think it's worth it. When I first started using kamui tips I tried a whole host of different chalks the best being the triangle spruce imo, but it's very difficult to get in this country. So I turned to the kamui chalk. I have had the same piece for 9-10 months now and I play 2-3 times a week. I've used about half of it, in that time.

Some say it transfers too much to the cue ball however I have only experienced that at the start of using a new tip. Let me explain, I find the best way to use the tip and chalk is to buy the kamui gator grip tool and use it to work the chalk in maybe after each frame or so at the start of its life. First week or so. After that I find very little chalk transfer onto the cue ball, as long as it's not over chalked. I chalk about every five shots, and tbh there is still more than enough to play another 10+ shots so I just dab. I have the chalk up pre-shot routine also however I've got into the habit of pretending to now lol.

Yes its fairly pricey but I don't think its expensive.
      OK, thanks - So you just dab, rather than stroke the tip with chalk.. interesting...

Some people seem to 'drill' the chalk, resulting in a nice little hole in the chalk - I can't imagine this gives a good coverage, but that's a different story.

Comment

I think you can't beat triangle spruce overall, price and product. For example have had two pieces of triangle spruce in my case coming up to 7 months both still around half used, play at least 6hrs per week, i ordered from Joerackem usa ebay in bulk as it's hard to get here, but still quite cheap when you order a box or more...

I'm sure the kamui lasts a long time, but like said above i enjoy chalking as it makes me take my time and plan ahead, from memory i believe it was around £15 for 24 spruce delivered from the states, I'm pretty sure that'll last far longer than a £20 single clay chalk...
        Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Originally Posted by humperdingle View Post
          OK, thanks - So you just dab, rather than stroke the tip with chalk.. interesting...

Some people seem to 'drill' the chalk, resulting in a nice little hole in the chalk - I can't imagine this gives a good coverage, but that's a different story.
          Yh, I don't understand why people do that. Because of the way I chalk the top is pretty flat so it extends the life of it.

Comment

Working...
          X