No announcement yet.

Cue tip height (mike wooldridge video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue tip height (mike wooldridge video)

Watched Mikes video on re-tipping and noticed he leaves a meaty tip height between ferrule and top of tip I guess this is personal choice but wondered just how much tip height has on the cue ball and cue, I have seen some of the pros have wafer thin tips, whats a good height to aim for when re-tipping.

I always leave em high now (or should i say Stu does ) i think tips play better that way

Comment

I also like high/thick tips as I feel this gives better cue ball control and feel; i.e. I don't rub the bottom of the tip excessively before fitting, after fitting and shaping I do not deliberately take off the thickness.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I also leave them high as I believe taking off the excess from either bottom or top stresses the leather in the tip and with some tips if you try and reduce the height from the top they will just shred on you.

What I do (Pro Granite tips come to mind) when I have a high tip or indeed any tip I install is I tap it down using a hammer which will reduce the height and also make the tip more compact and a little harder. I find doing this my tips last a lot longer and only wear down after quite a while. The Talisman S I have on my cue now has been on there for over 4 months of daily use now and it still has a bit of meat left.

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

tips do tend to compress ( obviously the not the laminated variety)

elks and diamonds need playing in, but after a week or so they take there final shape. so bit of shaping is needed and its done.
          you will notice the tip being a lot flatter too

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            I also like high/thick tips as I feel this gives better cue ball control and feel; i.e. I don't rub the bottom of the tip excessively before fitting, after fitting and shaping I do not deliberately take off the thickness.

I'm the other way i like the thinner tip, i got a talisman s and took a bit off the bottom with a scalpel then put it on, consistent as always.

Comment

Working...
            X