Talisman tip fitting advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talisman tip fitting advice?

Ok so the elk has been removed and the talisman pro soft sanded flat. I will be tipping tonight and thought id ask if theres any new advice on 'what to do and what not to do? Had 2 tips split in the past so gave up on them but I want to try again now. My plan is to use a pencil sharpener and burnish with a note. Dome with a metal file? What you think?

Don't use a file! It can tear the leather and delaminate the tip. Use a 180 grit sandpaper. I use wet and dry paper as it is far superior to sandpaper.

Comment

ok thanks for that. I haven't got any wet / dry paper so will a fine sandpaper be ok? its just that someone was saying not to use any sandpaper on laminated tips so thought maybe thats where I was going wrong?

Comment

personally 180 grit is too rough takes too much off too quickly
        Last edited by DeanH; 8 October 2013, 08:41 PM.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I dont really know what grit I have but it seems quite fine? I bought a mixed pack from homebase rough med fine is all it says.. I just dont want the tip to mess up this time, if it does im seriously considering giving up snooker full stop.

Comment

for the sake of a tip don't give up
            maybe ask down the club if anyone knows of a person who retips, there is usually one
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Retipping aint a problem to do myself as ive done it for a few years now but its those talismans that always seem to deteriorate soo quick, and apparently its down to how you fit them? im not sure though as ive tipped omin red's before and even with a stanley blade they have never split or delaminated..

Comment

Need a really sharp blade, i use a scalpel, and need to be burnished well try asking ADR if he has any of the teflon tools he had a while back, does an excellent job.
                No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

i don't worry if the layers of my tip seem to seperate a little with upwards pressure from my thumb, doesn't affect my play. Never had one completely come apart yet though.

Comment

Like everything being sold now there are far to many fake Talismans going for sale so my advice would be to try another make of tip and stop wasting good money on rubbish tips.
                    Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

Originally Posted by matt926_uk View Post
                      i don't worry if the layers of my tip seem to seperate a little with upwards pressure from my thumb, doesn't affect my play. Never had one completely come apart yet though.

I have, just yesterday, drove down to play took two or 3 shots and the whole side wall blew

Comment

Originally Posted by luke-h View Post
                        I have, just yesterday, drove down to play took two or 3 shots and the whole side wall blew
                        My experience with the Talismans has been 100% positive over the last 3 yrs, but !!!!
                        I have never used any blade to shape them, only the pencil sharpener devices. I fitted a Soft to a mates cue just over 1.5 yrs ago, he plays probably 5-7 hrs per week and his tip has at least 30% life left and when I insisted on checking it all it needed was some minor shaping.
                        " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Comment

Fitted it last night with a pencil sharpener and fine sandpaper to dome it. Actually turned out not too bad and seems ok this time. Only thing now is I didnt enjoy playing with it very much. maybe because it was a 10mm soft and not a 11? felt naaaasty...

Comment

I always thought the 10mm ones were made poorly compared to the 11s but in saying that I think the quality of the talisman tips have gone down in last few years and have stopped using them along with pretty much everyone I know, the best way for doing them is to use a new stanley blade held at a 45 degree angle against the edge of the tip like / that which cuts to a mushroom shape then once the bottom of the tip is level into the ferrule if you want turn the cue upside down and cut down on it taking little bits at a time. I never had one split or layers seperate doing this and I've done hundreds or them. I wouldnt recommend the pencil sharpeners as it only takes for the blade to be slightly out and you'll take a chunk out of your cue and they cut inwards so makes the tip thinner at the top than at the base.

Comment

yes your right about the pencil sharpener. I try to hold it at a slight angle to straighten things up and not push the cue too far up the sharpener.. I wonder how you put pictures up on here? could show the end result?.?

Comment

Working...
                              X