Good Tip vs Bad Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Tip vs Bad Tip

Read many times of players like Ronnie playing a few shots with a tip then having it took off and another put on and maybe getting thru 6 or 7 tips before he finds a good one.

Now obviously if its a tip thats delaminating or a tip that wont hold its shape even after bedding in then its obvious its not a good tip.

How do you define a good one from a bad one? Do you get more screw, side etc. or are you miscueing no matter how often you chalk it?

If ther's nothing physically wrong to look at what makes it a bad tip?
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Its all about the hit and the feeling it gives you , it must be able to hodl the chalk and give you 100 % confidence in it that your not going to miscue on the cush or when having to deep screw etc . I like a nice firm crisp hitting responsive tip , like to be able to feel the white , even on soft shots .

Comment

I've been playing for some time now and developed certain preferences in terms of how I want the tip to feel.

If I like the tip, then it's a good tip for me, regardless the type or brand. It's difficult to describe but it should give the "correct" reaction and feedback I'd come to expect from the way I hit the ball... Quite subjective this... :snooker:
      When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
        Its all about the hit and the feeling it gives you , it must be able to hodl the chalk and give you 100 % confidence in it that your not going to miscue on the cush or when having to deep screw etc . I like a nice firm crisp hitting responsive tip , like to be able to feel the white , even on soft shots .
        Or what he said... Lol, I'm a slow typist.
        When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

I think for any pressed tip player they like a certain density, which can be hard to pick out in a box which is why i imagine players like Ronnie could bite off a few tips till he gets his medium hard elk master(if that's what he likes).

Obviously there's scratch tests etc, but you never know how it's going to react once it's on, laminated tips are a different story!
          Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
            I think for any pressed tip player they like a certain density, which can be hard to pick out in a box which is why i imagine players like Ronnie could bite off a few tips till he gets his medium hard elk master(if that's what he likes).

Obviously there's scratch tests etc, but you never know how it's going to react once it's on, laminated tips are a different story!
            Been using lam'ys for ages now , cant remember what an elk feels like .

Comment

Been using lam'ys for ages now , cant remember what an elk feels like .
              Just can't get used to laminates though i did like the phoenix medium, but not enough to keep it on...
              Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Working...
              X