ADR147 Laminated Tips Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADR147 Laminated Tips Review

I got my tip through today from adr, and was happy with the speed of the delivery

So im going to start my review, i havent had chance to play with it yet as i have just finished fitting it so i will break the review into 3 parts; fitting, initial play and after 10 hours of play.

Firstly it is a very nice looking tip, i know it means nothing playing-wise but i think adr has done a great job in the design, it is very cleanly cut and looks very professional.

So,

Fitting:

The tips come in one size (which i forgot to check!) So im not sure of the size but im sure adr can help with that if anybody wants to know, i would take a guess at 11mm.

My cue is 9.25mm so it was fine cutting it down to size.

Which was extremely easy! My blade probably wasnt the best as i only had my stanley knife from my tool bag which i used over the weekend, but it still cut very easily which makes the job much easier.

I used a file (a similar one to 'ronnies massive tool') for shaping, to those who remember it.

I have not fitted a laminated tip before and was trying to be careful not to be too hard on it incase of it delaminating, but i had no problems at all.

When it was roughly shaped i switched to 150 wet and dry to get it closer to the final shape, then i switched to a nail file i use to get it finished, then used 400 wet and dry over it quickly just incase i had any loose fibres.

And that was it, done and ready for play, i am looking forward to putting it to use and when i do i will update with the next part of the review.

Here are some pics of the tip throughout the fitting process.

So far so good, thank you adr and well done on what so far seems to be a great product!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rightoncue89; 9 January 2014, 06:01 PM.

ty. looks like a decent job fitting it.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I think you can try 10mm next time.

Comment

Originally Posted by Kevin Lee View Post
        I think you can try 10mm next time.
        i think i will stick with 11mm cut down - experience!

Comment

Looks like you have done a good job of fitting it rightoncue89 ,What tip did you use before ?

Comment

OKay.You have control .

Comment

I am absolute rubbish at shaping tips ........you seem to have that down to a fine art !

Did you just use and ordinary file ?
              Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

What is the height of the tip?
                The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

i used elks before that i compressed in a vice.

i went to my local pub tonight as i was too impatient to wait to get to the snooker hall tomorrow lol

i was only playing pool but i can feel the difference from my elks! this tip feels much firmer but i can get more spin with it, playing reverse side etc is a doddle, i know that is on a pool table but it still feels effortless, really looking forward to putting it to use on the snooker table!

i also feel i have more control, at first i was over screwing etc but after a few frames i got to grips with it and loved it.

10/10 so far

yes i just used a normal file to start with then different grades of wet and dry before using a fine nail file i stole from my girlfriend a while back lol

Comment

Originally Posted by Wayne G View Post
                    I dont know the height of the tip when new but mine is currently 5mm high, 2mm at the edge then the domed part is 3mm.

Comment

INITIAL PLAY REVIEW

I used the tip on the snooker table for the first time tonight.
                      And i am very impressed!

I feels much like i said in a previous post after playing pool, it feels firm but it doesnt sound firm, it has more of a thud than a dink sound. Which i like!

It holds chalk well and again it produced more spin than my elks ever did, without as much force, i feel i can float balls in and still get the action on the cue ball, which makes it feel effortless and because im not hitting the cue ball as hard i think i am making more pots whilst playing screw or side etc.

And made life easier in and around the balls, playing little stuns, screws and run throughs.

I didnt have any miscues either so i also feel confident with it even when playing deep screw etc.

I will update after more use and after 10 hours of play.

It held its shape perfectly aswell unlike my elks that needed reshaping 9 times out of 10 after a deep screw!

All in all i am very impressed so far and i would recommend to anybody, obviously it might not be right for everyone but for me it feels spot on and is definately worth a try.

Comment

not yet re-shaped the tip i put on my own cue!

Comment

Originally Posted by Wayne G View Post
                          Still curious about the height of a new tip.
                          The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

i think they are made up of 6 layers and i am fairly sure i have all 6 left, although that top layer is only on the 'sweet spot' of the tip, i will post a pic

Comment

This is the picture of my tip from above, you can just make out the layers, the dark brown in the centre is the top layer, so i would say at full height they are around 6-6.5 mm

Although again im sure adr can correct me if im wrong
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X