X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time retipping

0bqc.jpg
    1swk.jpg

This is my first time doing retipping. I used a elk master tip and I put it under the leg of my bed to compress it for 3 days.

How is it? What shoud i take note of and what improvements should i do the next time?

I notice a black thin line below the tip which is the super glue. Will the tip drop?
    Last edited by tofushop193; 12 April 2014, 03:11 PM.

Looks good to me mate, great effort for a first try.

Comment

Not a bad effort for a first go, when you next try get an emery board to shape up the sides keeping it flat up the sides to try avoid getting smaller at the top of the tip and try use masking tape as it will allow you to get nearer the ferrule, other than that the shape is what suits your game some like it flatter some like it more rounded

Comment

looks like a good job to me bud

Comment

Looks fine to me mate.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys.the ferrule, how do you keep it shinny always? Every time I sand it with sandpaper or steel wool, it becomes shiny but after a few weeks it comes dull and gets worst

Comment

Originally Posted by luke-h View Post
              Not a bad effort for a first go, when you next try get an emery board to shape up the sides keeping it flat up the sides to try avoid getting smaller at the top of the tip and try use masking tape as it will allow you to get nearer the ferrule, other than that the shape is what suits your game some like it flatter some like it more rounded
              Alright will get an emery board next time. The nail files do they work?

I think while chopping the side of the tip, I might have forced the knofe in too much. Now the left side is tapered in towards the middle. Worry that it might affect my play. Will it return to normal after I play awhile?

Comment

Originally Posted by tofushop193 View Post
                the ferrule, how do you keep it shinny always? Every time I sand it with sandpaper or steel wool, it becomes shiny but after a few weeks it comes dull and gets worst
                this is the natural oxidation of the brass, not come across a simple answer to this.
                but please don't become like Matthew Stephens who sits between frames with a little bit of emery cloth and polishes his ferrule, so much so that he has had the ferrule replaced on his cue many times and that the cue has been altered so many time it may not handle any more re-ferrules
                When I retip, I tend to put the masking tape over the ferrule as well as the shaft to protect that as well
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Alright will get an emery board next time. The nail files do they work?

I think while chopping the side of the tip, I might have forced the knofe in too much. Now the left side is tapered in towards the middle. Worry that it might affect my play. Will it return to normal after I play awhile?

it should bed in a bit and you may be able to file it straight, it won't hinder the tip if it don't though, as for emery boards they are the things girls use and they are perfect for the job. As for oxidisation of the brass I wouldn't use wire wool i'd get yourself a strip of 1200 grade micro-mesh. it works a treat and make sure you masking tape the brass to avoid scratching it

Comment

alright, learn quite a bit this time round. will do a near perfect job with the next retipping!!!.
                    thanks guys for the tips.

Comment

alright, learn quite a bit this time round. will do a near perfect job with the next retipping!!!.
                      thanks guys for the tips.
                      No worries, your doing the right thing learning to do it yourself as no one else will take as much care as you will yourself

Comment

A very good tip. I'd be quite happy with that.

I've certainly done a lot worse

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16143[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]16144[/ATTACH]

This is my first time doing retipping. I used a elk master tip and I put it under the leg of my bed to compress it for 3 days.

How is it? What shoud i take note of and what improvements should i do the next time?

I notice a black thin line below the tip which is the super glue. Will the tip drop?
                          not bad mate for your first attempt I would use some masking tape and take it it further down the cue for protection when sanding and shaping

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16143[/ATTACH]
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]16144[/ATTACH]

You can burnish the sides of tip with a £20 pound note or invest in a Adr 147 BURNISHING TOOL (Write up is on Snooker Forum) sort of gives that pro finish

Comment

Originally Posted by tiger tiger View Post
                              not bad mate for your first attempt I would use some masking tape and take it it further down the cue for protection when sanding and shaping
                              i covered it up with the black tape. i didn't cover up the ferrule because i thought i will need to sand it to shine. but then i thought again. i could do it after the tip is shape so i wouldnt sand off too much

Comment

Working...
                              X