No announcement yet.

Grand Cue tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i've bought a box to try them out, i re-tip a lot of cues for the local pool league and the elks just aren't consistent enough, one will be like sponge and the next will be rock hard etc. hopefully these will all be of consistent quality.

I use MW pressed on my snooker cue and Buffalo diamond on my pool cue, i'll give these a whirl too myself when my cues need tipping again.
    http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

Is there a case of a bit of tip snobbery that's why it takes a while for newer cheaper tips to gain a market share. Grand make cheap cues so maybe folk avoided their tips. I know elks and BDs aren't expensive compared to the crazy money for some tips but they have been around for years so are established, I bought a box of TS Long Ba tips and they are as good as anything else out there ( pressed tip) but they are less than a fiver delivered for fifty and I bet many think they must be rubbish at that price, for me they played better than any elk I have tried, pressed or natural.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I found those TS long ba tips a little hard TBH , best tips I've had are the BDP ones which I still have on my cue, I just can't remember if it was a blue diamond or a buffalo diamond.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
          Is there a case of a bit of tip snobbery that's why it takes a while for newer cheaper tips to gain a market share. Grand make cheap cues so maybe folk avoided their tips. I know elks and BDs aren't expensive compared to the crazy money for some tips but they have been around for years so are established, I bought a box of TS Long Ba tips and they are as good as anything else out there ( pressed tip) but they are less than a fiver delivered for fifty and I bet many think they must be rubbish at that price, for me they played better than any elk I have tried, pressed or natural.
          I tried a box, silly money, good tips but too hard for me personally.
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
            I found those TS long ba tips a little hard TBH , best tips I've had are the BDP ones which I still have on my cue, I just can't remember if it was a blue diamond or a buffalo diamond.
            "Buffalo Diamond Plus"

"Brunswick Blue Diamond"
            Last edited by DeanH; 27 January 2017, 06:14 PM.
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks Dean, but I'm sure the P was for pro

Comment

http://www.greenbaize.com/tips/
                scroll down and you will see the two tips called "Diamond"
                defo Buffalo Diamond Plus
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Yep to be fair lads I like a harder tip, the long Ba tips won't be for the players who like the softer type, I'm not sure but they may do different hardness of tips.
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

The box I bought were supposed to be soft/medium, that's what the ad said anyway, nothing on the box. If that's the soft ones I'd imagine the hard tips would go through solid steel.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

I think the problem with tips is, that the quality is dramatically changed.
                      Back in 80 's, I bought a box of 50 BD, and that was enough. Lots of snooker players did use the same. Never came up in our mind to go and start a journey to find another tip.
                      At the moment i play with Maple shaft. tried few diff tips, until i found the tiger. which plays exactly like Elk pro , not cheap . (on this cue of crs). Cuz I've tried them on diff cues and my brother and my 2 cousins tried it as well, and i can sure you they do'nt heve the same playability on diff cues.
                      Back in 80 's and 90 's, we did'nt have this kind of trouble.
                      Nowadays ,the same companies requires more money in order to provide a good quality tips ( e.g. Elk pros ).

Comment

Does anyone think that its not the fact so much the tips have changed, isn't it just we can compare things more freely now with the Internet. I had bad blue diamonds in the 80's but you just accepted that you needed to bed tips in for a couple of days.

Now I think people think the quality has dropped but that's because we can compare and have so many other alternatives. Everyone wants a great tip straight away, nobody wants to spend 3 hours bedding a tip in anymore. I personally think people are more demanding and that also needs to be taken into account.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                          Does anyone think that its not the fact so much the tips have changed, isn't it just we can compare things more freely now with the Internet. I had bad blue diamonds in the 80's but you just accepted that you needed to bed tips in for a couple of days.

Now I think people think the quality has dropped but that's because we can compare and have so many other alternatives. Everyone wants a great tip straight away, nobody wants to spend 3 hours bedding a tip in anymore. I personally think people are more demanding and that also needs to be taken into account.
                          Good point, good post.

Not indicating that all the BD from 80 's were good of crs. that would be harsh. tbh.

But I do believe it's about money.
                          Compare BMW made between 1970 and 1980 with current BMW. Sum of the oldtimers still running much better with no problems. Nowadays, you buy a car and within 2 years you gonna end up in garage cuz of sum electronics or other kind of problems.
                          my grandma had a sony TV which was 30 years old. and you know what? that TV still works fine.
                          Nowadays you gonna buy a TV with lots of options, and within 4 years is busted out.
                          Why is that? Cuz the companies noticed by making good quality stuff, customers are not interested in buying new products. As a result: the companies would run out of business or making less money.
                          I realy think it's the same with the tips. If those were the same quality as BD from 80 's, players would'nt be interested to try new stuff. Or try internet and pay 10 mark for a tip.

Of crs, It's just my opinion.
                          Last edited by Ramon; 27 January 2017, 11:03 PM.

Comment

I bought a soft grand tip and fitted it a few weeks ago. The material of the tip is a lot harder than an elk. If you dig your fingernails in the side, there is no 'give' at all. Filing the tip down to size took longer too in comparison to an Elk or a BD. This is going from a 10mm tip to a 9.5mm fitting. Initial impressions of playing with the tip is that it beds in very quickly. Played for about 2 hours and never felt nor did I miscue. However I don't think these tips hold chalk as well as an Elk or BD. Chalking a grand and I know I have only used one feels like chalking a pebble at times. If you have used a kamui black the chalk retention is very similar. Saying that the tip does grip well and better in my opinion than a Kamui. I will need to play this grand tip in a bit more to fully review it, at this moment in time I still think a good Elk is a better tip. As another member mentioned if this is the soft version then I cannot conceive how the mediums or the hard tips will play? For the price, these are very good and I can see how they are consistent.

Comment

Originally Posted by ebonynivory View Post
                              I bought a soft grand tip and fitted it a few weeks ago. The material of the tip is a lot harder than an elk. If you dig your fingernails in the side, there is no 'give' at all. Filing the tip down to size took longer too in comparison to an Elk or a BD. This is going from a 10mm tip to a 9.5mm fitting. Initial impressions of playing with the tip is that it beds in very quickly. Played for about 2 hours and never felt nor did I miscue. However I don't think these tips hold chalk as well as an Elk or BD. Chalking a grand and I know I have only used one feels like chalking a pebble at times. If you have used a kamui black the chalk retention is very similar. Saying that the tip does grip well and better in my opinion than a Kamui. I will need to play this grand tip in a bit more to fully review it, at this moment in time I still think a good Elk is a better tip. As another member mentioned if this is the soft version then I cannot conceive how the mediums or the hard tips will play? For the price, these are very good and I can see how they are consistent.
                              I play with a GRAND MEDIUM tip that is great for me as I stated in a former post the GRAND HARD TIPS are very (hard) this said I find the medium superior to ELKS in the fact that they are consisent I have over the past fitted and used approx 12 tips and have never had a bad one, Elks I would say about 3 out of ten pass rate for a real good tip OK ! Elks are cheap but dont you hate that put it on take it off lark ! Put it on leave it on and get on with your playing OK ELKS get a lot of mention by the Pro players I sometimes cant understand why ? they now market what they call a Pro Tip and the splurge says its more consistant (big deal) so we have been buying Elk Tips that are (NOT CONSISTANT) the mind boggles.

Comment

Can anyone tell why some grand tip is light blue color(from green baize) but some is grey + green color(from ADR147)? What is the different?

Comment

Working...
                                X