No announcement yet.

Laminate vs pressed tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jimmy White , last known , was using Titan tips .

Aren't these the ones that are like granite ?
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post

Yep! I believe Ding also uses them

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post

not exactly !! I've played a few shots with Titan !! they are not as hard as a granite !! but much harder than Elk Or B diamond !!! the tip I was impressed with was Blue knight tips ,, ( also played few shots with ) made by TWTN. Great playability !! just as good as any good Elk !!! Even better, imo .

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
            Evening.

It does not take ages to bed in a pressed tip; a Buffalo Diamond Plus is bedded in after one session, the same as a lammy.

It doesn't matter how many pool players use lammy tips, snooker pros don't and the pros over here have tried lammys, Ronnie, Higgins, etc, etc.

I have found after using lammys for three years that going back to a BDP has led to increased spin.

Lammys do not chalk as well, that's why Kamui developed special and expensive lammy chalk costing twenty quid a block.

A Kamui is going to cost you at least a tenner; that's 3 years worth of BDPs!

If you have an elk and it isn't hard enough, press it and it won't need bedding in either. Ask Fred Kite.

Ronnie used a LM tip and then he went back to Elks. That's the acid test for me, the greatest ever, using an Elk.

Here's Jimmy using a I think, a Blue Diamond on Super Crystallate balls (heavy and slow) on a slowish table back in the day, FF to 45:45, did he need a lammy? -

Yes, ask me. I'm undoubtedly the world expert on pressed Elkmaster tips
            #jeSuisByrom

Comment

John Higgins, graeme dott both use kamui, as does mark Williams I believe

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                not exactly !! I've played a few shots with Titan !! they are not as hard as a granite !! but much harder than Elk Or B diamond !!! the tip I was impressed with was Blue knight tips ,, ( also played few shots with ) made by TWTN. Great playability !! just as good as any good Elk !!! Even better, imo .
                Tricky to get hold of. And regarded as Tweeten's economical tip compared to elks etc. Back in the 80s, I think Jimmy used a BD no?
                Last edited by Master Blaster; 28 May 2015, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Tricky to get hold of. And regarded as Tweeten's economical tip compared to elks etc. Back in the 80s, I think Jimmy used a BD no?
                  Yes he did use bd then but not anymore

Comment

yes,, he did !!they re indeed regarded as Tweeten's economical tip . And that, surprises me!! CUS, imo they are more consistent compare to elks!! (talking about MH one, not soft one). You can compare them with Elks from old time. good choice for someone who preferre to play with press tips !

Comment

yes,, he did !!they re indeed regarded as Tweeten's economical tip . And that, surprises me!! CUS, imo they are more consistent compare to elks!! (talking about MH one, not soft one). You can compare them with Elks from old time. good choice for someone who preferre to play with press tips !
                      I think the point I was trying to make was that when JW was really good, he was really good on slow tables with tighter pockets and a BD pressed tip on his cue. So the BD, Elks and BDPs are really capable of great things not just on fast 6811 comp cloths but on slower cloths as well, i.e. club type cloths.

Comment

I think the point I was trying to make was that when JW was really good, he was really good on slow tables with tighter pockets and a BD pressed tip on his cue. So the BD, Elks and BDPs are really capable of great things not just on fast 6811 comp cloths but on slower cloths as well, i.e. club type cloths.
                        is a good point !! btw, No one said that JW or any other pro can'nt play the game with BD or elk tips !!
                        If you can play the game and you prfr to play with press tips, then those tips re good enough !!

Comment

i had been using elks for over 15 years but found the firmer ones were getting harder to find and the boxes much more random. Sometimes can get half a box that are firm/consistent other times only a few.
                          Switched to Pro granite a year ago and as long as I fit them trim them and leave them quite high i find they play really nice and firm without being too hard and also take chalk better than an elk. After about half hour or so i find they bed in nicely and remain very consistent.
                          Can't see me switching tips any time soon but its all personal preference.

Comment

Working...
                          X