No announcement yet.

Mike's VelvetSpin tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As promised, here's my take on the new VS tips.

Fitting
    I know the vast majority of people prefer to put the tip on, turn the cue upside down and cut around the tip. I don't, I much prefer the Trevor White method, there's a video on Youtube but sadly, I can't find it. Using this method I find laminated tips pretty tough to do, Elks are much easier. With Mike's new tips the blade cut the leather very, very easily. Within two minutes I had glued it, cut it and sanded it, onto the green baize......

How does it play?
    I must make a confession here - i'm playing the worst snooker of my life at the moment, confidence is rock bottom Did this this tip instantly make me play like I was doing a few months ago? Of course it didn't. What it did do though is make me confident in playing the cue ball from tight under the cushion and deep screw shots without worrying i'd miss-cue. In fact in six frames I didn't miss-cue once, and that's pretty impressive for somebody who shakes and has the dreaded yips. Playing with side I noticed very little throw, i'd put the VS tip on a par with ADr147's excellent laminated tips in this respect.

It's soft, so it must mushroom
    After six frames the tip had mushroomed ever so slightly, most people would't even notice it but i'm a fusspot with things like this. After the initial frame I had to sand the tip a bit to get the dome back to how it was at the start of the frame but after that it's held its shape perfectly.

Enough waffle Steve, how soft are they?
    I'm sure everybody on here has used one of those bloody awful sponge like Elks? You will be pleased to know it's nothing like those In my opinion this tip plays like a very soft Talisman but without the harsh sound of those tips.

How does it hold chalk?
    Very, very well. I use the Master green chalk and it's a perfect match.

How much?
    See Mike's website - www.handmadecues.com

I'm bored, please get to the summing up
    Ok, I will. Snooker, pool and billiards players have never had it so good. 20 years ago we had two choices - Elks and BD's, now there's loads of the bloody things. If you like softish tips then you really need to try these, it offers great feel, excellent chalk retention, very little maintenance after bedding in and also looks pretty cool.

I hereby award the Mike Wooldridge VelvetSpin tip the Fred Kite Gold Award.

IMAG0312-001.jpg
    Last edited by fredkite; 24 November 2015, 11:24 AM. Reason: Adding pic
    #jeSuisByrom

Comment

Nice review on the tips. Went on Mike's shop today and saw a new feature called composite black ferrule. Anyone have any idea on what they are about?

Comment

Link to video of Trevor White's method mentioned above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N-hmyBxNn0

Comment

Excellent review Fred, all the information required.
          Sounds like a tip I like - especially that you mention they are on a par with ADR147's.

Thanks.

Comment

Cheers Fredkite, great review. How would you compare them against Mikes supertip?
            Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Thanks rdsalt.
              danam1, sorry but I have not used one of Mike's Supertips for ages so can't compare.
              #jeSuisByrom

Comment

Originally Posted by fredkite View Post
                As promised, here's my take on the new VS tips.

Fitting
                I know the vast majority of people prefer to put the tip on, turn the cue upside down and cut around the tip. I don't, I much prefer the Trevor White method, there's a video on Youtube but sadly, I can't find it. Using this method I find laminated tips pretty tough to do, Elks are much easier. With Mike's new tips the blade cut the leather very, very easily. Within two minutes I had glued it, cut it and sanded it, onto the green baize......

How does it play?
                I must make a confession here - i'm playing the worst snooker of my life at the moment, confidence is rock bottom Did this this tip instantly make me play like I was doing a few months ago? Of course it didn't. What it did do though is make me confident in playing the cue ball from tight under the cushion and deep screw shots without worrying i'd miss-cue. In fact in six frames I didn't miss-cue once, and that's pretty impressive for somebody who shakes and has the dreaded yips. Playing with side I noticed very little throw, i'd put the VS tip on a par with ADr147's excellent laminated tips in this respect.

It's soft, so it must mushroom
                After six frames the tip had mushroomed ever so slightly, most people would't even notice it but i'm a fusspot with things like this. After the initial frame I had to sand the tip a bit to get the dome back to how it was at the start of the frame but after that it's held its shape perfectly.

Enough waffle Steve, how soft are they?
                I'm sure everybody on here has used one of those bloody awful sponge like Elks? You will be pleased to know it's nothing like those In my opinion this tip plays like a very soft Talisman but without the harsh sound of those tips.

How does it hold chalk?
                Very, very well. I use the Master green chalk and it's a perfect match.

How much?
                See Mike's website - www.handmadecues.com

I'm bored, please get to the summing up
                Ok, I will. Snooker, pool and billiards players have never had it so good. 20 years ago we had two choices - Elks and BD's, now there's loads of the bloody things. If you like softish tips then you really need to try these, it offers great feel, excellent chalk retention, very little maintenance after bedding in and also looks pretty cool.

I hereby award the Mike Wooldridge VelvetSpin tip the Fred Kite Gold Award.

[ATTACH]18149[/ATTACH]

Good review - firstly sorry to hear about yer game last time we played we where both knocking in 50's 60's 70's every frame and I believe after our game you beat one of the best am players in your area so somethings gone pear shaped.

Secondly I agree lots of tips to go at now - My favourite tips are the Ronnie elk and the Dave Coutts supreme as they last like forever and don't misshape - one of my cues uses this DC and I ran out of the Ronnie Elk. My current playing cue has a old MW super tip on - I cant be asked changing it as it does the job and has lasted an age as its still quite firm and playable. Now I don't mind a soft tip but had many a soft elk miss- shape and take a pounding after a week or two it needs to changed. Therefore I think your review of this soft tip needs to be done after a few weeks - see how it performs over a distance. So if you leaving it on I will wait to see you add to the review in a few weeks.

Comment

Mike's VelvetSpin tips

Pop down tonight mate and I'll give you a VS to try. No clue what's happened to my game tbh but in the words of Arnie - "I'll be back".
                  #jeSuisByrom

Comment

Originally Posted by fredkite View Post
                    Pop down tonight mate and I'll give you a VS to try. No clue what's happened to my game tbh but in the words of Arnie - "I'll be back".
                    Save us one I be down when I can next week - I let you know -

Ps If its same club you at then maybe your form suffer because there are too many distractions in there? - I would buy a few blocks of dust and throw them at the other players I remember it distracted me when I was on 50 or 60 odd against your mates a couple of times with ton on and some kid from other table just walked across my shot and started using the chalk attached to your table right up in front of me. lol

I seem to recall a lot of your game was timing, when you got that right everything flowed but if this happens when you are playing it gets a bit stop start an noticed you loose a bit of rhythm cos you are a tall guy having to stop all the time for the other tables being so close wont help your fluidity I think.
                    I bet you play better when its quiet though.

Anyway back to the tip review how does it sound and grip?
                    Last edited by Byrom; 24 November 2015, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                      Save us one I be down when I can next week - I let you know -

Ps If its same club you at then maybe your form suffer because there are too many distractions in there? - I would buy a few blocks of dust and throw them at the other players I remember it distracted me when I was on 50 or 60 odd against your mates a couple of times with ton on and some kid from other table just walked across my shot and started using the chalk attached to your table right up in front of me. lol

I seem to recall a lot of your game was timing, when you got that right everything flowed but if this happens when you are playing it gets a bit stop start an noticed you loose a bit of rhythm cos you are a tall guy having to stop all the time for the other tables being so close wont help your fluidity I think.
                      I bet you play better when its quiet though.

Anyway back to the tip review how does it sound and grip?
                      I'll save you one mate, no probs. The club gets worse, last night had loads of people sat at the side of the tables playing music on their 'phones. IMO the snooker room should be for snooker, nothing else.

The sound of the tip is the exact opposite to a hard Talisman, no harshness at all. Grip is also good, never thought I was going to miss-cue.
                      #jeSuisByrom

Comment

Originally Posted by rdsalt View Post
                        Link to video of Trevor White's method mentioned above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N-hmyBxNn0
                        I find this method bloody difficult myself

Comment

The tip is very good, feel rock hard in hand but once put onto the cue and remove the outer layer it feel a bit softer. The spin you get on the cue ball is hugh with very little affect, and very consistent too. Dont feel hard when hitting the cue ball, i shall be ordering more ��
                          a bad player who love cues

Comment

Originally Posted by les147 View Post
                            I find this method bloody difficult myself
                            I don't find it as easy as he makes it appear on that video, but it is the way I do it now and you do get a nice even finish right round the cue. Much easier if the tip is close to the right size. If the tip is big I use one of those sharpener shaped trimming tools to take it down in size a bit before using the stanley blade. And it goes without saying the blade has to be a new sharp one.

Comment

i liked the original ones best finding these ones to firm going to give the velvet spin a go!

Comment

I am yet to get these new tips but just changed my Legend Cue from the original Black Spin Tip to an original MW Super Tip as i found BS to hard for me and i am loving the new super tip at the moment.

I should of done it sooner ( as i am softer tip lover ) but was wary with the new BS ferule and i did not want to damage it but i must say the BS ferule accepts the new tip excellently and i am loving the softer tip i just fitted.

Anything made by MW is absolute quality.
                                If it is called " Common sense " why is it so rare???

Comment

Working...
                                X