'Pro-versions' Elk Master Tips and Triangle Chalk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
    Yeah, Talisman are pigskin but how do they get the layers that thin, I guess that's the thing we don't get; 11 layers to one tip, how do they achieve that I wonder?
    Simples. Buy hide, slice the crap out of it, glue back together again, stick it in a punching machine, slap a logo on the finished tip and charge what the market will bear. Market it cleverly, get pro endorsement, and sit back and watch the money roll in.

As with everything else, the price will be determined by the quality of the finished product, and that will almost certainly be determined by the quality of the hide that was spiced and diced. Tip factories (mainly chinese, some Japanese) will employ leather graders to source good quality hides, with the best going to the likes of kamui, the worst to the cheaper tip makers. You can buy unbranded layered tips for pennies on alibaba or aliexpress etc. I would imagine 90% of all layered tips are churned out from the same factory.

As ever, anything and everything billiards related has been discussed a thousand times on azbilliards. Sadly, many of the really juicy stuff has been deleted, following legal threats and the usual melodrama, but there should be enough still existing to inform.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
      Simples. Buy hide, slice the crap out of it, glue back together again, stick it in a punching machine, slap a logo on the finished tip and charge what the market will bear. Market it cleverly, get pro endorsement, and sit back and watch the money roll in.

As with everything else, the price will be determined by the quality of the finished product, and that will almost certainly be determined by the quality of the hide that was spiced and diced. Tip factories (mainly chinese, some Japanese) will employ leather graders to source good quality hides, with the best going to the likes of kamui, the worst to the cheaper tip makers. You can buy unbranded layered tips for pennies on alibaba or aliexpress etc. I would imagine 90% of all layered tips are churned out from the same factory.

As ever, anything and everything billiards related has been discussed a thousand times on azbilliards. Sadly, many of the really juicy stuff has been deleted, following legal threats and the usual melodrama, but there should be enough still existing to inform.
      I was pretty interested by the post so I have bought some pigskin, a leather punch, glue and gonna have a bit of fun to see how bad I can be at layering a tip. No doubt I'll balls it up but that's what it's about till you find something that resembles a usable tip.

Gonna use a few different glues to see what difference it makes and try them on a couple of spare cues I've have......just a bit of fun really! I'll try azbilliards so thanks for the link.
      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

• How thick is it Shockerz? Could you make a tip out of one layer, like a pressed tip ?
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

You don't think that certain tip sellers are actually buying unbranded for pennies, then floggin em for many pounds do ya?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
            You don't think that certain tip sellers are actually buying unbranded for pennies, then floggin em for many pounds do ya?
            Lol. That's what they are ALL doing.

Who cares, if it's a good product? Good luck to them.
            Last edited by Hello, Mr Big Shot; 7 August 2016, 04:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
              How thick is it Shockerz? Could you make a tip out of one layer, like a pressed tip ?
              It is around 0.6/0.8mm. So 11 layers should make it reasonably thick with glue (or not as we'll find out)!

Comment

I did see loads of tips on the wholesale sites last year, didn't resemble any I know but you never know.

Comment

I did see loads of tips on the wholesale sites last year, didn't resemble any I know but you never know.
                  I'm looking forward to this experiment and the separate thread describing each stage with pics. Will be a cracker!

Comment

I was pretty interested by the post so I have bought some pigskin, a leather punch, glue and gonna have a bit of fun to see how bad I can be at layering a tip. No doubt I'll balls it up but that's what it's about till you find something that resembles a usable tip.

Gonna use a few different glues to see what difference it makes and try them on a couple of spare cues I've have......just a bit of fun really! I'll try azbilliards so thanks for the link.
                    Yikes, you don't hang around!

I'm not suggesting for a minute any of this is easy. I would imagine you'll need quite hi tech equipment to cut very thin bits of leather and keep its integrity. The leather will also need to be treated and you'll need the correct glue. Then you'll have to press the crap out of it before punching...

What equipment have you got?

Comment

• ^for the first few (I think that doing just a 10x1.5cm block would be good), he'd only need a regular vice. If he glues all the layers together at the same time, he could squeeze just after the glue begins to set. He could put small batons top and bottom of the block in the vice to keep it in place (to stop the layers skating) under pressure.

Comment

• ebay, £1.50 for an O'min Red. Recommended by members; why pay 4x or 10x more for a laminated tip?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-OM...UAAMXQ1d1TItch

Unless they're hand made by Shockerz in the UK; I can see value in that.
                        Last edited by Big Splash!; 7 August 2016, 02:49 PM.

Comment

ebay, £1.50 for an O'min Red. Recommended by members; why pay 4x or 10x more for a laminated tip?

What! You don't really think me fiddling with things I don't know anything about is gonna come of any good?

At least it might bring a smile to your faces at how I can stick my fingers to the vice and pigs *ss at the same time!

Comment

ebay, £1.50 for an O'min Red. Recommended by members; why pay 4x or 10x more for a laminated tip?

I like the look of those. I may file the bottoms off and rebrand them as mine.......

Comment

Yikes, you don't hang around!

I'm not suggesting for a minute any of this is easy. I would imagine you'll need quite hi tech equipment to cut very thin bits of leather and keep its integrity. The leather will also need to be treated and you'll need the correct glue. Then you'll have to press the crap out of it before punching...

What equipment have you got?
                              I've got a Stanley Knife, a lump hammer and a 10mm leather punch.

Don't worry mate, I'll have a look at the leather hide when it turns up and go from there and have a play.

I was always told, "Learn by doing." I've started to build a carpenters room with a lot of gear as my son is going solo as a carpenter and needs a workshop so I'll think a bit more deeper when it turns up!!

Didn't realise I was gonna get this much attention so I might even have to concentrate and get it right.....

Comment

I've got a Stanley Knife, a lump hammer and a 10mm leather punch.

Don't worry mate, I'll have a look at the leather hide when it turns up and go from there and have a play.

I was always told, "Learn by doing." I've started to build a carpenters room with a lot of gear as my son is going solo as a carpenter and needs a workshop so I'll think a bit more deeper when it turns up!!

Didn't realise I was gonna get this much attention so I might even have to concentrate and get it right.....
                                Carpenter eh? You two may as well knock out some real hand made cues while you're on the tips bud. Go on, put the machinists to shame.

Comment

Working...
                                X