No announcement yet.

arguement about balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to Vmax, the SCs are far better on that point, so your friend could be right. Hopefully mine will be delivered tomorrow,so should get a couple of sessions with them through the week to get a fair idea.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

here's a complete set for sale now (sorry if already mentioned

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-crys...wAAOSwo0JWHMd6

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
        Did he say what he means by better? I like my TCs, you do get kicks with them but not enough to drive you mental
        What many players who have grown up with PR balls don't realise is the number of bad contacts they get. Out and out kicks might not be enough to drive you mental but the bad contacts happen more often and are more subtle and make you think you played the shot poorly.
        You will notice a difference and your break building will improve as your positional play will be better without those bad contacts, run through and screw will be more uniform. You will noticeably hear that sharper cleaner click of the SC balls when they contact.

Comment

Originally Posted by matthias View Post

comes with an extra red, bargain !

Comment

Originally Posted by matthias View Post

These have been up a few times on eBay, I don't know why they haven't sold, maybe the description of the cue ball.
            Vmax do you know what the crackling on the CB will be? Anything to worry about?

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
              comes with an extra red, bargain !
              can be tip-ex-ed , so can be used as an uncrackled white

Comment

These have been up a few times on eBay, I don't know why they haven't sold, maybe the description of the cue ball.
                Vmax do you know what the crackling on the CB will be? Anything to worry about?
                Don't know mate, haven't seen that on SC balls before, only very old ivory billiard balls. Might be just a surface discolouration that can be polished out. SC balls shouldn't crack, the material is too hard for that, the SC balls in our club are over forty years old, well used and don't look like that.

Comment

i had a few games tonight with my mate the sc balls did seem better than tc balls these balls are 20 years old litsnoteasy
                  I have just bought a set of SCs to have a knock with ,I already have a set of TCs so know how they play,should be able to tell you by the end of the week of that's any good to you. I will be on a Karnehm and Hillman table the same as yours so should be a decent comparison for you.

Comment

Don't know if anyone else notices this but.

The general consensus on this forum is that Trevor white cues are better than Parris

Riley aristocrats are better tables than star tables

And now many saying sc balls are better than tournament champions.

My question is - do you all like to be different or is it the.case that you are all well informed?

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post

The general consensus on this forum is that Trevor white cues are better than Parris

My question is - do you all like to be different or is it the.case that you are all well informed?
                      It's the kicks and bad contacts question Byrom, it started with the introduction of the PR balls when Aramith/Saluc bought out the Composition Billiard Ball Supply Company (that's what's written on my box of SC balls) that had the patent for SC, stopped it's production and started making balls from PR instead.
                      From then on the rules of snooker had to be changed as they used to read that games can only be played using SC balls.

Snooker rules now state that only balls made from a composition recognised by World Snooker can be used, but they don't say what compositions they recognise, email them and you get no answer. The balls they have gone with are Aramith PR balls that kick all the time, we know this as it happens to us and happens on tv all the time, so in order to get by this you have to apply a little thought.

Were there less kicks and bad contacts back in the day using SC balls ? if so then one way forward is retro and so far no one on this forum who has bought an old set has said they are worse, in fact the opposite is true, many who remember using them in their youth say the kicks and bad contacts didn't happen on the huge scale that occurs now using PR balls.
                      With SC balls it was now and again, about two or three kicks a session due to chalk on the cue ball rather than four or five per frame with the PR balls even when they're clean and shiny.

Some have argued the case that it's the way the cue ball is struck that's the cause, but I myself surely don't play differently using my own SC balls in practise than when using the clubs PR balls in matches on the same table. The people on this forum who have bought an old set aren't getting the kicks and bad contacts either so the same must be true of them.

I also have a set of snooker size pool balls made from nylon resin that don't kick anywhere near the scale the the PR snooker balls do, Superpro make them and they also make snooker balls as well so that's another option.
                      Terry says the old Vitalite canadian snooker balls don't kick much either so that's another option.

It's cold hard logic Byrom, pure and simple, carry on getting kicks and bad contacts with the PR balls or move away from them to something else, my choice is the SC's as I grew up with them.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post

Vmax has answered the balls question, the other two ,I would say, it's reasonable to think that TW cues are better as he makes them, where as Parris cues are made in a workshop by people employed by JP, this isn't a bad thing but just by the law of averages poor cues must slip through, also I could be wrong but TW doesn't do a range of cues, so every one is kind of an ultimate, so as a whole they will be better than JPs full range( even if you say JP ultimates and TW cues are the same quality).
                        The tables, I go by what Geoff Large says, he has more knowledge than most and if he says Riley's are better , you can't really argue with it .

Comment

A cue is only as good as the timber the shaft is made from and how it's been tapered to suit it's reflex qualities. But take three years to put a perfect taper on a sublime piece of ash and put it in the hands of a local league 50 handicapper and it may as well have been whittled from a broom handle in an hour using a blunt penknife.

Comment

Good responses there is a place in the market for another snooker ball manufacturer or a better set from aramith perhaps.

I am betting there will be a change in either cloth or balls in a few seasons. There seems to be a need.

And v max u already sold me on yer cue knowledge pal - I will be having one when yer ready lol.
                            Last edited by Byrom; 23 June 2016, 12:52 PM.

Comment

having played with my new set of tc's and what i assume to be super crystalate balls i would have to say the tc run better and go further but are more prone to kicks and bad contacts, i was on a straight blue yesterday to green pocket i was cueing ok and i played a decent shot for the ball to miss by about 2 inches to the jaw, rattled and out.

May have to source a decent set of sc 's.

Comment

Originally Posted by luke-h View Post
                                having played with my new set of tc's and what i assume to be super crystalate balls i would have to say the tc run better and go further but are more prone to kicks and bad contacts, i was on a straight blue yesterday to green pocket i was cueing ok and i played a decent shot for the ball to miss by about 2 inches to the jaw, rattled and out.

May have to source a decent set of sc 's.
                                Not quite following you there Luke, what balls have you played with? I get new TCs, but then you say super crystalate then say you need a decent set of super crystalate said, sorry if I'm missing something.

Comment

Working...
                                X