Elkmaster Hardness Preference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elkmaster Hardness Preference?

What do buyers of the original Elkmaster tip prefer; super-soft, soft, medium, medium-hard or hard?

Some posters say they like a firm elk but does everyone?
    Super-soft
    3.23%
    Soft
    19.35%
    Medium
    16.13%
    Medium-Hard
    38.71%
    Hard
    22.58%
    Last edited by Big Splash!; 8 August 2016, 09:03 AM.

It has to be soft to medium for me.
    I'd say elks are generally known as a soft tip, as of late they can be anything though !!!

Comment

I usually just give every tip a session or three and decide whether or not I like it...

Can't say I really mind whether the tip is soft or firm, just so long as I can adapt to it within a reasonable amount of table time...

Saying that, it wasn't always the case... I used to love the old Moori layered tips, but they changed them and I didn't like them after that.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
        I usually just give every tip a session or three and decide whether or not I like it...

Can't say I really mind whether the tip is soft or firm, just so long as I can adapt to it within a reasonable amount of table time...

Saying that, it wasn't always the case... I used to love the old Moori layered tips, but they changed them and I didn't like them after that.
        I've read the old Moori tips are collectors items, such was their reputation. As a very good player, what cue are you glueing your tips to?

Comment

Elkmaster Hardness Preference?

If you search for my cue contest posts I created years ago, my cue struggle in on there with a boat load of photographs too.

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
            I've read the old Moori tips are collectors items, such was their reputation. As a very good player, what cue are you glueing your tips to?
            First gen mooris go for around 100 dollars. This is for 14mm - did they ever make a snooker tip?

Comment

I had a pal named Rich who used to work for Sam Leisure, used to bung em me for two quid each... They sold in the Aeon store at £8 a tip.

Soft or Firm, never saw a medium.

I really liked the soft tips, started firm and pretty much played well from the of without getting too firm for me. They changed them around 2002/03? Someone more knowledgeable than me can confirm. Anyway, as soon as they altered their make up, they were like bricks from the get go.

Comment

Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
                It has to be soft to medium for me.
                I'd say elks are generally known as a soft tip, as of late they can be anything though !!!
                Mike I swear to god I got a box of 50 normal elks in April and me and my pratice partner had to change tips countless times because of bad elks it's like there eroding off the cues last night for instance I hit a deep screw shot off a tip that's on a month and 1/3 rd of the tip just flew off so I re tiped and played it in for about 3 hours and the softness at the end of the night was just amazing will never buy elk again I don't think

Comment

To be fair, a a lot of folk i know really like a soft elk tip. Some of them are lesser players and they swear a soft elk gives them more spin. I dunno, I'm a medium guy with all my tips. With so many pros using elks, it's hard to argue against them, providing you get one you prefer, whatever hardness and consistency that entails. The greatest potters and power players have done the biz with elks.
                  Last edited by Big Splash!; 10 August 2016, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Tommykiid View Post
                    Mike I swear to god I got a box of 50 normal elks in April and me and my pratice partner had to change tips countless times because of bad elks it's like there eroding off the cues last night for instance I hit a deep screw shot off a tip that's on a month and 1/3 rd of the tip just flew off so I re tiped and played it in for about 3 hours and the softness at the end of the night was just amazing will never buy elk again I don't think
                    If you like a consistent pressed tip that plays great from the get go, I would recommend a pro granite tip, don't be put off by the name, they are not granite hard like a lammy, even a soft lammy but are very consistent. I think I still have a couple if you pm me your addy I will send you one if you want to try it.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by Tommykiid View Post
                      Wow, thats some seriously bad tips you had there mate.
                      You and I like many are searching for the "the one".
                      Have to say that the ADR soft tip is really good, expensive for 1 tip but the quality speaks volumes.

I've said it before in previous threads - the old original MW Super Tip was the best thing I've ever had on my stick

Comment

Wow, thats some seriously bad tips you had there mate.
                        You and I like many are searching for the "the one".
                        Have to say that the ADR soft tip is really good, expensive for 1 tip but the quality speaks volumes.

I've said it before in previous threads - the old original MW Super Tip was the best thing I've ever had on my stick
                        They sound like a box of fakes or just very unlucky.

Comment

They sound like a box of fakes or just very unlucky.
                          Poor chap, sounds like he got a box of fruit pastilles instead.

Comment

Poor chap, sounds like he got a box of fruit pastilles instead.
                            Even Rowntrees make tips these days! :biggrin-new:

Comment

Even Rowntrees make tips these days! :biggrin-new:
                              I wonder what chalk one should use with them though ?

Comment

Working...
                              X