2017 World Snooker Championship Players Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
    Yeah it was very high, it's like when I first cue the sides of an over-sized Elk prior to reducing it and shaping it; I'd be interested to see how spongy it is as it doesn't look too solid to me; way too high for my liking.

Ding Junhui and Noppon Saengkhams tips weren't that small either which was interesting.
    Going back 35 years, when there was only really Elks or BD tips, there was two very good old boys in the social club I played in (regular ton makers) and they had big tips like Fu. I think that was the norm then.

I could never play with a tip that size, I'd gets lots of throw and hit across balls etc. I can only get feel and decent position with about 3mm of tip.

I'd love to understand what difference in technique they had to play well with a tip that size or maybe it's just simply individual feel.
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      I think that Ronnie plays with his cue in a certain position in his hands and hence has some concentrated compression of the tip due to constant impact at that point. I play with my cue in one place and notice compression of the tip.
      It does lead you to think that doesn't it.

Either that or it's another new tip which sometimes compress a little quick in one area when they start out soft and not played in.

I'd be interested to know the longest he's ever had a tip on for in the last few years, I would guess it's not too long.
      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
        Going back 35 years, when there was only really Elks or BD tips, there was two very good old boys in the social club I played in (regular ton makers) and they had big tips like Fu. I think that was the norm then.

I could never play with a tip that size, I'd gets lots of throw and hit across balls etc. I can only get feel and decent position with about 3mm of tip.

I'd love to understand what difference in technique they had to play well with a tip that size or maybe it's just simply individual feel.
        The more and more I think about it the more I think it's pretty much all personal with feel.

I prefer a tip similar to yours but get a lot of throw but obviously there are more factors than just the tip which is why it's always a good debate!

Comment

Kyren Wilson, any "After" photo?
          I have an after snap now and to me the tip looks a little larger but it's really difficult to tell.

If I had changed it in the interval I would have tried to shape it as close to the one I've just taken off which is what they have probably done (if it was changed that is which I would have thought it must have been after the miss-cues).

Comment

I think that Ronnie plays with his cue in a certain position in his hands and hence has some concentrated compression of the tip due to constant impact at that point. I play with my cue in one place and notice compression of the tip.
            Doesn't every single person cue in same position every shot ? That is the norm

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
              not necessarily, I have seen a few who don't
              That is when I realised that some people don't, as I also thought that was the norm
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Not sure if I'm reading you right so apologies if not.

If he only played stuns/screws you might expect that indent just at the top?

If he's playing all sorts or side, top etc would have thought a few more dents and compression's?

I know a county player that has a round butt and doesn't use chevrons for sighting to deliberately give his tip even wear so it lasts longer.

Comment

not necessarily, I have seen a few who don't
                  That is when I realised that some people don't, as I also thought that was the norm
                  Yeah I meant most people hold the cue in same postion ie chevrons up, or side grain up that sort of thing
                  Not sure if I'm reading you right so apologies if not.

If he only played stuns/screws you might expect that indent just at the top?

If he's playing all sorts or side, top etc would have thought a few more dents and compression's?

I know a county player that has a round butt and doesn't use chevrons for sighting to deliberately give his tip even wear so it lasts longer.
                  See comments above

Comment

Unfortunately Ronnie will remain "only" a five times World Champion for at least another year. Calling him a six time World Champion must have been wishful thinking ;-)

Comment

That's one of the reasons I have a done butt on my cue and never liked the the flat anyway...
                      Plus the main reason is there is not used anymore and not for a very very long time... Since the start of the game almost.
                      For that one you've always wanted...
                      https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

I remember Ken Doherty saying he doesn't do that, purposefully so that the tip wears more evenly. Mine always get squashed on the flat side from playing stun/screw shots, I hit them harder than follow shots anyway.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ninja.cues View Post
                          That's one of the reasons I have a done butt on my cue and never liked the the flat anyway...
                          Plus the main reason is there is not used anymore and not for a very very long time... Since the start of the game almost.
                          Yes but if using an ash cue (like majority of people do) surely you always hold it with the grain in the same location

Comment

I was told today that John Higgins drove back to a guy that does his tips for a tip change at these world championships.

I didn't hear that so wondering if someone knows when if it occurred?

It certainly doesn't seem have affected him.

Comment

I was told today that John Higgins drove back to a guy that does his tips for a tip change at these world championships.

I didn't hear that so wondering if someone knows when if it occurred?

It certainly doesn't seem have affected him.
                              Yes it was mentioned by him after his win over Hawkins, on the night before the last session he drove who knows how many miles to Les Dodd (?) who kept his club open for him then let him have 1/2 hour knock to bed it in, he said he got back to Sheffield at something like 3 in the morning and only got around 3 hours sleep. He also said Frazz usually does his tips, but also said Raymond (Exquiste cues) had put his dodgy top on
                              Last edited by jrc750; 30 April 2017, 11:53 PM. Reason: Deleted wrong info

Comment

Yes it was mentioned by him after his win over Hawkins, on the night before the last session he drove who knows how many miles to Les Dodd (?) who kept his club open for him then let him have 1/2 hour knock to bed it in, he said he got back to Sheffield at something like 3 in the morning and only got around 3 hours sleep. He also said Frazz usually does his tips (you know the guy he shared a car with and who he beat in the first round ha ha ha) but also said Raymond (Exquiste cues) had put his dodgy top on
                                Was that not McGill and Maguire that shared the car down?

Comment

Working...
                                X