Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any difference in between the thickness of the ferrule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any difference in between the thickness of the ferrule?

Hi all, as title any difference in playability between the thickness of the ferrule? Seen quite a bit different ferrules thicknesses in those cues I retiped in the pass. Many thanks

I find the threaded type throw the ball ( sorry "squirt " the ball ) way more than thinner ones

Comment

The theory is that weight at the end of the cue makes the ball throw more playing with side, so the thinner the ferrule, the less weight = less throw. Personally I think the difference is negligible.

Comment

personally I think the whole throw stuff is a lot of hogwash. Still find almost all snooker players playing with brass ferrules with no issues. This is just theory and has to be proven. There are many articles with fancy equations written about throw with no empirical evidence to back it up or experimentation to verify those equations. Case of people looking for an excuse for their lack of ability. I cant understand how a piece of metal that weighs a few grams affects a cue that significantly. If it was such a significant effect then no one would be using those ferrule but rather something exotic like a magnesium alloy or carbon fibre or graphite ferrule.

Comment

Originally Posted by sanman View Post
          personally I think the whole throw stuff is a lot of hogwash. Still find almost all snooker players playing with brass ferrules with no issues. This is just theory and has to be proven. There are many articles with fancy equations written about throw with no empirical evidence to back it up or experimentation to verify those equations. Case of people looking for an excuse for their lack of ability. I cant understand how a piece of metal that weighs a few grams affects a cue that significantly. If it was such a significant effect then no one would be using those ferrule but rather something exotic like a magnesium alloy or carbon fibre or graphite ferrule.
          Players get used to , and thereafter, allow for the amount of throw their cue imparts. It's different for each cue.

Once you have that adjustment set in your head ( no matter if the ferrule is brass, stainless, fibre, etc ) , there is no reason to change.

Comment

again this is the going theory

where's the proof of this

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
            Players get used to , and thereafter, allow for the amount of throw their cue imparts. It's different for each cue.

Once you have that adjustment set in your head ( no matter if the ferrule is brass, stainless, fibre, etc ) , there is no reason to change.

Comment

The point is that players subconciously allow for it.

From the extremes: hitting a cueball off centre with a hard tip eg stainless steel will have the cueball going sideways (relatively), whereas it will go straight with something very soft eg a domestic sponge. In the real world of varying ferrules, tips and cues it is far less, but then potting does require a lot of accuracy (and that is without considering the quality of strike* etc).

In terms of empirical evidence: a CB with side doesn't go straight on a snooker table, so and Experiment type of thing would need a cloth that prevents this.

*I believe that this is why Higgins (sometimes) had such a post shot body movement, as he was trying to correct the throw.

Comment

The proof ? I asked players that make good money at cuesports. they told me that's what they do.

What other proof could you possibly need ? you seem to be letting your own conformation bias, cloud your opinion.

Let me turn it around for you.

What proof do you have that "the whole throw stuff", is a lot of hogwash ?

Comment

I'm sorry, you are a long way behind the curve on this one.

Deflection is caused by mass at tip end. It is simple physics.

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                    The proof ? I asked players that make good money at cuesports. they told me that's what they do.

What other proof could you possibly need ? you seem to be letting your own conformation bias, cloud your opinion.

Let me turn it around for you.

What proof do you have that "the whole throw stuff", is a lot of hogwash ?
                    Anyone who doesn't see deflection is either blind or hasn't played with enough cues.

I find many that don't get it instinctively use Back Hand English, which cancels deflection (but causes its own problems in turn).

Comment

My proof is that I changed a ferrule on one of my cues from a thin pigeon ring type one for a thicker one with a screw thread .....the cue threw the ball a lot more with the thicker ferrule

Comment

There was a scientific study done by the University of Ohio on what causes throw or squirt. I believe the link was put up on TSF in response to this same sort of question. They proved the more weight at the pointy end of the cue (both ferrule and shaft) play a significant part in throw or squirt. So the aim is to keep the end of the shaft and ferrule as light as possible. The flex of the cue also played a big part.

But as a previous poster said, if a player plays long enough with his one chosen cue his brain will automatically adjust to the amound of throw for his specific cue. The whole idea of less throw or squirt comes from those players who cannot deliver the cue exactly straight and put on unintentional side which would be minimized by a cue with less throw. In addition, the tip also plays a part in the amount of throw.

If you're not a regular century maker then probably a cue with less throw would be better for you.
                        Terry Davidson
                        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

way to prove it is simple, machine taking the shot same (same acceleration and so forth) on the same cue from thin walled ferule to a thicker one. then measure the difference of end landing point of white

Comment

A thicker ferrule adds weight to the tip end of the cue and will add a little throw, you can see how adding weight to the end of the cue by sticking some kind of weight on there and playing a shot with side then comparing to when there's no weight. A couple of 2 pound coins and some blu tack should do the trick.

Comment

Originally Posted by tinytim139 View Post
                              way to prove it is simple, machine taking the shot same (same acceleration and so forth) on the same cue from thin walled ferule to a thicker one. then measure the difference of end landing point of white
                              made me think of this clip
                              26mins in
                              https://rutube.ru/video/fdd88403519e...be7fc808848c4/
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X