Best non-metallic ferrule material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by old school View Post
    Tony Glover has some solid black fibre rod that he turns on a lathe to the correct diameter then drills to fit your original tenon . The finished ferrule looks just like the old black fibre ferrules of yesteryear . I had one fitted to an old Barracuda Professional for a team mate , so I know it can be done .
    Cheers, yes I know it can be done...just not by me!

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
      Cheers mate, used them before so I know what those are like, just trying to see what else is about.

Comment

Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
        Cheers mate, used them before so I know what those are like, just trying to see what else is about.
        So they don't work?

How easy are they to bodge, I mean fit?

Comment

Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
          You're a craftsman, I'm a bodger!
          Just take your time and I'm sure you can get it sorted out pointed in the right direction...
          For that one you've always wanted...
          https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

£10.99 for a ferrule is a bit pricey though.

Comment

Not compared to the whole Blackspin jobbie which goes into the cue...

Comment

Anyone tried one of these?

Comment

So they don't work?

How easy are they to bodge, I mean fit?
                  Hi mate, they do work, although mine broke but was using it to break with at the time. Just wanted to seek the wisdom of the crowd and see what the alternatives are.

Comment

I got some buffalo horn from the US, very light and very strong but you need a lathe to machine it down as it comes in 18mm diameter X 35mm lengths. Black in colour with some slight ivory streaking on one piece, it goes grey when machined but polishes up to black rather well.
                    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Saw that from Cue Components, do fancy Ivory but obviously that's problematic.

Comment

I always liked the stainless steel = it kept shiny where as brass dulls so you polish it and it losses size over time - always wondered why more are not made with stainless steel - Is it to keep cue makers busy or another reason?

Comment

Brass is softer than steel, and the point was and is to provide a bit of give to help stop Deflection, or whatever we are calling it now, whstopping the wood from splitting from repeated impacts.....

I would have thought Horn etc would have been harder, and maybe better for Pool Breaking - assuming lil grip etc is required and is Centre of CB striking.

Basically what MW's thing does is to provide a sponge effect on impact or a shock absorbing type of thing: so the momentum etc is kept in the line of strike, not squirting off to the side due to the roundness of the contact point(s).

Apologies for any Egg Sucking Teaching.

Comment

yes I heard that was the case. Which is why I never had it done ... I suppose gold would be good then or maybe too soft

Comment

I'd avoid Diamond

I'm not sure there is such a thing as too soft, as long it holds the wood together?

Comment

took a few shots with a cue once that had no ferrel and just a tip - actually felt great.

Comment

Working...
                                X