• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by wade View Post
    [ATTACH]19223[/ATTACH]

It looks like this...
    But I can't find them anywhere (online). I guess it's like bobmikeking says, only for worldsnooker.

I just mailed Aramith about it, I hope to get a fast response
    Still no respons from Aramith (Saluc)...
    I'm sure you can't buy them without the case unless as stated already, second hand from a Tourney.

Another member on here, Pottr , who is none too shabby at this game, good amateur level career etc. Once said it's not a good idea to replace balls in a set due to different batches etc. Only a last resort really if a ball was either lost or damaged. I.e. you won't make a perfect set doing this.

An honest 3g set is good enough for any decent player. Only a top pro might feel a slight difference over a number of frames but it wouldn't be a very big deal.

Someone mentioned Chesworth snooker already and I'm pretty sure as Martin runs a personalised business he'd be happy to weigh the set before you buy so you know what you are getting.
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

CueCrafty, hope Pottr sees this post and gives a few more details on the "different batches". I would have thought that a big company like Saluc would have a pretty good high-tech manufacturing process which produces consistent results. It's always been a puzzle for me how some balls can be 138g and some even as high as 142g.
      As you say I don't think it's a problem replacing an individual ball. I've seen them on the telly replace the white. I replaced my black once cos it had a chip.
      One thing which might not be such a good idea is to replace 3 reds on an older set. I think you would notice a difference. The older reds would be slightly duller compared to the brand new shiney ones.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
        CueCrafty, hope Pottr sees this post and gives a few more details on the "different batches". I would have thought that a big company like Saluc would have a pretty good high-tech manufacturing process which produces consistent results. It's always been a puzzle for me how some balls can be 138g and some even as high as 142g.
        As you say I don't think it's a problem replacing an individual ball. I've seen them on the telly replace the white. I replaced my black once cos it had a chip.
        One thing which might not be such a good idea is to replace 3 reds on an older set. I think you would notice a difference. The older reds would be slightly duller compared to the brand new shiney ones.
        I tried to find the reference Nifty but he didn't say exactly why, here's the post:- ( BTW I got him back on here recently but hes got bored again and is too busy making **** loads of cash. Good luck to him!! : )

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
        The correct weight of a modern snooker ball is supposed to be 141 grams.

The most common set is the aramith tournament champion set. They are made to a tolerance of 3 grams which means you should get a set which ranges from 139.5g - 142.5g.
        As silly as it seems, that can be noticeable. It doesn't mean that Aramith package them deliberately with such a discrepancy but it is allowable in terms of that set.

The upper market model of the same ball is the 1g set where the tolerance is, as you would guess, 140.5g - 141.5g which is very difficult to notice weight differences.

Remember... Over time a set of balls will play poorly and lose their life a touch... This is nothing to do with their weight. Oh and you can't mix and match balls from different sets... That's cause for murder x

I don't know of a set that's called 'premium'. If you're mistaken and mean 'premier' that's an entry level set and the balls are much lighter at 128g. Or at least they used to be.

A serious snooker player shouldn't be playing with anything worse than an Aramith Tournament Champion set... If you get a 1G set, that's a bonus.
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Am I imagining it or does someone on the forum have the world championship 1g balls for sale each year following the tournament?

Comment

I know a member called the_unrepentent has a 1g set used by Ding in 2017 but not sure if that was WC balls or where he got them. So in other words... I'm useless.
            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I got an official reply from Aramith!

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e.mail.

The 1G Snooker sets packed in a blue box with a 1G sticker on the box are not available for sale.
              They are used in tournaments or championships.

Only the 1G Snooker sets packed in the alu cases are sold to the public.

Hoping this answers your request,

With best regards.

ARAMITH - BELGIUM
              So that settles it i guess

Comment

I got an official reply from Aramith!
                So that settles it i guess
                Fair enough. Thx for posting. The set in my club probably belonged to our resident Pro.

Comment

Have a old set of TC balls myself. Must be about 15 years old.. perhaps more. Got them new for 35 quid (club cost price back then) .. never thought to weigh them but will when i find some scales. Might have to change the cue ball though as its going a funny shade .. sort of yellowish but not.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Artful Dodger View Post
                    Have a old set of TC balls myself. Must be about 15 years old.. perhaps more. Got them new for 35 quid (club cost price back then) .. never thought to weigh them but will when i find some scales. Might have to change the cue ball though as its going a funny shade .. sort of yellowish but not.
                    most cue balls are a yellowish white colour, if they are brilliant white I think they might be the premier ball?
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

It started off more of a creamy white...def got yellow tinge to it now. Will be interesting to weigh the set tho

Comment

I think when the paint and pigment industry stopped using lead in their formula it has been difficult maintaining brilliant white.
                        I used to work in an artist paint factory many years ago and it was an interesting time
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by The Artful Dodger View Post
                          So finally dug out some scales on this and All the balls weighed in at 141 except the white, black and blue which weighed in at 140 - so quite happy to have a 1g set of balls. Caveat: This does assume that my kitchen scales are accurate.

Comment

Depending on the accuracy of your scales, and how they round up, you could be looking at a range from 139.50g to 141.49g. Which is sort of 2G. I definitely wouldn't worry about that, they are good enough. Just get some scales accurate to +- 5g. Then they will all be bang on.

Comment

In terms of keeping them tip top. I recommend that you use autoglym super resin polish for the object balls and aramith ball cleaner for the cue ball.
                              you just need to wash the set first with warm slightly soapy water and rinse. Then when they are dry, dab a drop of the cleaner/ polish onto half the set and rub the cream into the balls individually until they are completely covered. Try not to use too much per ball. Wait until they dry to a chalky residue and then buff with a microfiber cloth.
                              They become squeaky clean and they play a whole lot better.:snooker:
                              Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
                              https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

fellow snooker nerds will hopefully find this amusing - I washed and cleaned my set of TC's today and noted a few small yellow marks on the cue ball that wouldn't scrub off, on closer inspection they looked to be tiny chips. So it prompted me to weigh it, i knew it was slightly lower last year than the rest about 138g compared to an average 142g for the rest of the set, I was slightly shocked when it only weighed in at 134g!!

Amazing how these cue balls loose mass over time. I had heard that Martin Chesworth will check a cue ball weight and find one thats a match, so looked them up on Ebay where there was a ?13.95 buy it now but also a make an offer choice, so I thought why not? Not too cheekily at all I offered ?12.95 but also stated in the comment that if I could have a 142g ball i'd happily pay full price. My offer was rejected with no message other than rejected... Then i realised (rather late) that there was also a ?3.50 delivery charge too! He really is a tight git.

Found another seller doing the same ball for ?12.95 including delivery https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/allenronn...p2047675.l2559
                                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
                                X