Burnishing the tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnishing the tip

Is Burnishing your tip important ? or does it not matter that much ?

thankyou

not at all in play terms - i use a £20 note or a strip of leather.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

its not "important" but it can help IMO, so i usually do do it. *i use a £100 note

*the above might not be true, but at least it outdoes ADR, who "couldnt" use a £5 note instead

adr
      Last edited by Semih_Sayginer; 25 December 2007, 11:05 AM. Reason: TO ADD SOMETHING

Comment

£5 note does not work as well- not sure why, might be the size, but i have always found a £20 to be best!

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
          £5 note does not work as well- not sure why, might be the size, but i have always found a £20 to be best!
          here fishy fishy. (hope you had a good chrimbo adr)

Comment

I thought In Scotland they used £1 notes

Comment

the £1 note rips !

Comment

That's only because you've had it 20 years.....

Comment

Originally Posted by snooker_wiz View Post
                  Is Burnishing your tip important ? or does it not matter that much ?

thankyou
                  Hi, might be a daft question but can someone shed some light on what "burnishing" the tip is for? cheers

Comment

The idea is to rub the back of the tip to form a harder surface
                    This then help to stop glue soaking into your tip

Comment

Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
                      That's only because you've had it 20 years.....
                      The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
                        The idea is to rub the back of the tip to form a harder surface
                        This then help to stop glue soaking into your tip
                        erm...i thought it was the sides...

Originally Posted by nath205gti View Post
                        Hi, might be a daft question but can someone shed some light on what "burnishing" the tip is for? cheers
                        i've never done anything to my tips. don't see the point. apart from maybe making it look a bit neater.
                        Last edited by MikeWooldridge; 27 December 2007, 06:25 PM.
                        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

i was referring to the sides, but if i ever have to resort to retipping using superglue i burnish the bottom after light sanding to stop it soaking in. i use superglue gel, which IMHO doesnt require the tip be burnished.

i always burnish the sides of the tip though. usually with the other side of wetordry paper and then use the finest wire wool available to shine the ferrule

Comment

I always find that "Brasso" shines the ferrule exquisitely!!! how about every1 else??

Comment

I dont think burnishing with a dollar bill does anything really. If you do not like the mushroom, you should cut it ff, because burnishing it will not really remove it, in my opinion.
                              If you like the edge of the tip to look darker, I recomend to just color the edge with sme brown dye, or simple use a brown dark blue or black sharpie.
                              But if you have a lathe and you burnish the tip on a lathe, perhpas the heat can serve to firm up the edge of the tip. I just do not think using a dollar bill doing it by hand can have the same result.
                              Burnishing the ferrule is another matter. I dnt know if anyone has tried it, but I like the auto polishing compound. Try use a buff wheel and then wax it up later, it really shines the ferrule up.
                              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                              X