Bad elks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad elks?

Out of a box of 50 elks how bad should a bad one be?

I put one on a mates cue last week, cut the sides down etc as usual but when snading the top down to the right height the entire tip was stretching from side to side (imagine the leaning tower in italy).

I though i would finish the tip to see how it played, and the fibres seemed really loose. anyway after 10 or so frames of pool the tip decided to explode into two pieces and i duly fitted one of the new blue diamonds which has been spot on.

Any way back to my original question, should they vary this much in a box ) coz i have had a couple of keepers out of it so far) and how can i tell a good one from a bad without fitting it and playing with it. I am becoming well known as the guy who fits tips in our team/league and don't want to be fitting people with duffs!
    http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Trevs1 told me you can stick your nail in and tell if they're hard or soft. Which I think you can but that's not necessarily the same as good and bad is it.

I went through a couple quickly last time I changed but the one I've got on now has been fine and I've had it for ages. It needs changing now really.
    I will be trying the Buffalo diamond which of course you know about next.

Are the Mike Wooldridge ones worth the cost if they are consistent. Never tried one, I've been digging into the box of elks since blue diamond went dodgy.

Comment

Originally Posted by Watford View Post
      Are the Mike Wooldridge ones worth the cost if they are consistent. Never tried one.
      Worth every penny if you ask me. They're not called the "super tips" for nothing :two thumbs up: I never thought I'd feel that confident in a tip before but hey, that's me

I wonder if Trevor White decided on making his own brand of tips, how would that be? Just as good, I believe :snooker:
      Last edited by scoo24; 21 January 2009, 01:40 PM.
      Give'em hell, Mark :snooker:

Comment

Yeah funnily enough i have gone back to the bd ones just for the time being - did have an o'min red one on but that got changed by craftsman when they reduced my ferrule (pics still to come) - i must remember to order a decent stock of the o'mins (ADR???) as they are the best i have tried!

i havn't tried the MW single layer before but i found the laminated ones too hard for pool.
        http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

My club regularly buy in boxes of BD and Elks and every now and then I'll check the quality and the last batch of Elks were really bad. So many of them soft, fibres seemed loose, like they hadn't been compressed properly in manufacture. They were just about ok for the club cues but I don't think there was 1 decent enough in the whole box worthy of going on my cue.

Comment

Working...
          X