Dowsing Iron Not Hot Enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dowsing Iron Not Hot Enough

I bought a used Dowsing Iron some time ago but never thought I was hot enough, I tried the one in our local club and although not a Dowsing it was much hotter. Even with the thermostat up to full my laser thermometer says it's around 80 degrees, wife's standard iron around 130 degrees which is what I would think is about right. Is it likely to be the thermostat, it if the element was gone it would it not heat up at all? How hard are these to replace, I took the wooden part of the handle off but the two plain head screws were not budging no matter how hard I tried.

on ebay there are many items of Dowsing Iron Replacement Parts
    also Peradon/Thurston sells bits as well

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/39204995836...SABEgJsOvD_BwE

also ABC
    https://www.abcsnooker.co.uk/snooker...on-spare-parts

oops, sorry I thought you were after parts

is the thread a reverse thread?
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I stopped buying Dowsing Irons 4 years ago. The `old` iron as we know it was great, it lasted years. I bought 2 Dowsings 4 years ago, and since then they had to be returned on 6 different occasions to Toolite for repair. Irons which were returned to us lasted less than a month.
      I have in my workshop one of the chrome Dowsing irons dating back to 1928 and it still works. The iron I use for work is also a Dowsing bought in 1976 from Elston & Hopkins for ?17.50, it is used 5 times a week and is still perfect, all I had to replace in that time was the connector. Its a non thermostatically controlled iron, and has served me well throughout those years. Would I buy another Dowsing NO, NO WAY !
      I now stock the Rosetta Irons, and those I have sold have not given trouble.
      When you but cheap... You buy twice !

Comment

Originally Posted by ryanah147 View Post
        I stopped buying Dowsing Irons 4 years ago. The `old` iron as we know it was great, it lasted years. I bought 2 Dowsings 4 years ago, and since then they had to be returned on 6 different occasions to Toolite for repair. Irons which were returned to us lasted less than a month.
        I have in my workshop one of the chrome Dowsing irons dating back to 1928 and it still works. The iron I use for work is also a Dowsing bought in 1976 from Elston & Hopkins for ?17.50, it is used 5 times a week and is still perfect, all I had to replace in that time was the connector. Its a non thermostatically controlled iron, and has served me well throughout those years. Would I buy another Dowsing NO, NO WAY !
        I now stock the Rosetta Irons, and those I have sold have not given trouble.
        I agree they are awful nowadays we are constantly buying thermostats and elements for ours.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
        X