Different ash shafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different ash shafts

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before..
    im getting a cue made and was wondering what people’s thoughts are on Old ash vs modern North American Ash..
    what / if any are the main differences (apart from age ‍♂️)..

Is modern North American ash stiffer?
    what would you guys recommend I have the cue maker use..

any help please?

It's all subjective . Just because it is Old Ash doesn't mean that it will play any better than Modern Ash . I.E You might not like the feel of old v new or vice versa .

What cue maker are you using ?
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Jonny carr cues

Comment

each piece of wood is unique with its characteristics
        what does the cue maker say if you ask them what characteristics he thinks the shaft will likely have?
        "old" do you know how old?
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          each piece of wood is unique with its characteristics
          what does the cue maker say if you ask them what characteristics he thinks the shaft will likely have?
          "old" do you know how old?
          He said “Older maybe play with more flex. Modern North American Ash seems very stiff”..

he didn’t say how old though

Comment

then, to me, it is what you prefer to play with

Comment

then, to me, it is what you prefer to play with
              Now to find somewhere to play with a variety of cues lol..
              Not so easy Living down Plymouth

thank you for the help

Comment

I support Ilfracombe is a bit out of your way?
                and not sure if BlueMoonLeisure is open anyway?

Isn't Tony Reed in your area? anyone know if he is still active?
                Is there any other snooker hall or shops in south Devon? anyone?

Comment

Funnily enough I had a look a Bluemoon yesterday - looks like they are still opening their cue showroom. details here:- https://www.bluemoonleisure.com/2020...ough-covid-19/
                  ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Brilliant I will check them out thank you!

yes tony is still active, made me a pool cue last year.. very good crafts man ..

jonny carr made my first snooker just to get me back into the game but wanted a few changes and can’t be bother to go through all the adjustments. Thought I would stick with him. But want a cue to stick with Permanently on the next one so just want to get it all correct with what I’m looking for so just want to play around with a few different cues to see what I get on with etc..

thanks for the help

Comment

Originally Posted by Kenny123 View Post
                      ...want a cue to stick with Permanently...
                      LOL good luck, many say that.... and then we see them looking elsewhere :wink:

Comment

LOL good luck, many say that.... and then we see them looking elsewhere :wink:
                        True ‍♂️‍♂️

Comment

Originally Posted by Kenny123 View Post

He said “Older maybe play with more flex. Modern North American Ash seems very stiff”..

he didn’t say how old though
                          A cuemaker can tailor what flex the shaft will have through the taper, thinner or thicker at certain points along it. If you like ash then tell the man you want close straight grain, modern european ash with this characteristic is hard to find now becasue of global warming, trees grow faster when it's warmer so the grain is wider. Best ash now is siberian or canadian (north american I suppose) as it's still pretty cold there but old stocks of european will be good as well. Even then the density of the timber itself is unknown until the tapering of the shaft starts to take shape and it settles between planings.
                          I've been planing some pearwood shafts down to 2mm oversize this week and they were quite flexible, applied a coat of sanding sealer to each one to stop them drying out and two days later they have stiffened up.

I'm in Barnstaple north devon, check out the 'my workshop' thread in the cues section for more info.
                          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

A cuemaker can tailor what flex the shaft will have through the taper, thinner or thicker at certain points along it. If you like ash then tell the man you want close straight grain, modern european ash with this characteristic is hard to find now becasue of global warming, trees grow faster when it's warmer so the grain is wider. Best ash now is siberian or canadian (north american I suppose) as it's still pretty cold there but old stocks of european will be good as well. Even then the density of the timber itself is unknown until the tapering of the shaft starts to take shape and it settles between planings.
                            I've been planing some pearwood shafts down to 2mm oversize this week and they were quite flexible, applied a coat of sanding sealer to each one to stop them drying out and two days later they have stiffened up.

I'm in Barnstaple north devon, check out the 'my workshop' thread in the cues section for more info.
                            Love the insite!! Thank you..
                            Do you have a Facebook page?

Comment

Love the Insight*

Comment

Working...
                              X