Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• butt maple VS ash

Hey guys
    What do you think about butt maple VS ash?
    it is more comfortable?
    To be honest it is more beautiful, more brilliant.
    What do you think are the disadvantages and advantages?

tanx

Do you mean shaft? I've had maple spliced into a butt, but you don't often see ash. Rosewood or ebony are most common.

Comment

i mean butt no shaft

Comment

Ash and Maple are lesser in density when compared to Ebony. You can still use those woods for the butt wood but it would require extra weight to be added.

Comment

Originally Posted by asafg View Post
          i mean butt no shaft
          Okay, any links to the cues you have found? As fkhan says, there are much better options which won't require so many metal weights built into the butt.

Comment

I have specs 57" 3/4 18.5 oz and I am debating between maple butt or ash (just butt, shaft is ash)

Comment

I have specs 57" 3/4 18.5 oz and I am debating between maple butt or ash (just butt, shaft is ash)
              Are they being spliced with other woods or veneers? Links yo what you are looking at would be useful, otherwise we're just guessing.

Comment

It will probably be with figured Ebony.
                my question in general is whether butt maple is more comfortable to hold? How is it different under ash?

Comment

It will probably be with figured Ebony.
                  my question in general is whether butt maple is more comfortable to hold? How is it different under ash?
                  Most butts will feel the same, in that any grain will be filled, the butt smoothed and then finished with oil or varnish. In terms of feel, that's going to come down to how the cue is weighted and the butt shape/diameter

Comment

Does that mean if I wanted 18.5 oz with butt ash and I would take butt maple then take less weight?

Comment

Does that mean if I wanted 18.5 oz with butt ash and I would take butt maple then take less weight?
                      Generally maple is slightly more dense than ash, but not by much. Some lower quality maple is softer and less dense though. Something to bare in mind, is that softer woods will dent easier. There's a reason most cues use ebony or Rosewood rather than softer woods lime maple and ash.

Comment

A finished one piece cue shaft, maple or ash with no hardwood splices will only weigh about 12 oz's. hardwood is spliced on to add weight, no other reason, but that will only add about 4 oz's so if you want something heavier then extra weight will have to be added in the form of lead or steel bar. A 3/4 brass joint will add 1 oz and the rest of the weight should be added in the correct place for the cue to feel nicely balanced, a balance point close to the tip of the splices is usually best.
                        As for how ash or maple feels in the hand, when finished properly it will feel no different to any other wood. You pay your money and you take your choice, whatever you want is available to you from a bespoke cue maker and sometimes off the shelf, there are a myriad of designs out there, the design should be secondary though, how you play with it is what really matters.
                        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Working...
                        X