Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W.Cook cue - DAFS

Hi all,

I acquired this queue around 35-40yrs ago together with a Stevens & Sons table. With great thanks to 100-uper on this forum, he has estimated the table to have been built between 1890-1901.

I did use this cue originally, but found that the tip was too small at around 9-9.5mm. The cue is 57” long with the W Cook Cue (London) engraved as can just be made out in the photo.

There is a name plate of DAFS on both the butt and the metal case.

The questions I have are:

1) Could anyone provide some history around W Cook and estimated age of the cue?? and

2) A long shot (excuse the pun), but can anyone provide some reference or links to name/initials “DAFS”?? I can imagine this is either the original owners initials or some club??

Any information much appreciated.

William Cook (1949-1893) was a top billiards player and several cue makers made cues with his name on them, due to his break records, etc.

DAFS - I think was a previous owner.

You can just make out that the DAFS plate on the butt has gone over a maker's stamp similar to the image below.

I think yours could be a "W. Cook Pattern" and "Cox & Yeman,184 Bromton Road, London" stamp.
    The Heritage site has a very similar cue but it is a poor image.
    https://www.snookerheritage.co.uk/th...ue-collection/
    (search for Cox )

Last edited by DeanH; 5 June 2021, 07:40 AM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Hi DeanH,

Many thanks (again) for the background and additional information on this, as I was struggling on the research around this.

I will update the post when I find more

P.S. Thanks for the tips on uploading, and I was mistakenly mistakenly using the “Upload from URL” button on the TSF and not pasting directly into the post.

Comment

This cue is not connected with the Stevens table and in my opionion is significantly earlier. Can you tell me if there is a weight stamp on it?

Comment

Hi 100-uper (again),

Thanks for your contribution in this. I’ve looked at the cue, but don’t see any weight stamp.

At the end of the butt, there is what looks like a leather disc which I presume covers where the weight is?? Could the stamp have been put on this (now worn). Or is this purely sacrificial in case of damage??

Comment

This cue would have been produced from about 1868 and would still have been available in essentially this form until about 1880. The significance of the weight stamp is that it was introduced in 1874 by Burroughes & Watts who were either copying another London maker, or others copied them. Not sure which, but it helps date the cue to between the late 1860s and mid-1870s. It also dates the tin case which accompanies it which is clearly contemporary.

As DeanH said, these 'Cook Pattern' cues were made by several companies, namely Burroughes & Watts, Thurston, and Cox & Yeman, who were the principal manufacturers at this time, and apart from the makers stamp they would all have been pretty much the same. The leather pad at the butt is the 'tip' which protected the ball when using that end of the cue. (it saved getting the rest out).

I also notice that the cue has an ivory extension fitted to the tip, which is an optional extra. This helped to prevent the splitting and chipping which invariably occurred by continued use of an unprotected ash shaft. It was the forerunner of the modern ferrule. Andy Hunter is the leading authority on these old English cues and this is a link to an article I helped him write on Wm. Cook cues. You will see from the values in the appendix that your cue is the earliest in the range for this player, and Andy considers them worth between GBP100-300 (without the extension or the inset owner's plaque).

https://www.flipsnack.com/hylandbill...cook-cues.html

I have passed the photos to Andy for a more accurate opinion and when he comes back to me I will let you know.
            Last edited by 100-uper; 5 June 2021, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Hi 100-uper,

Once again, many thanks for the detailed response on this cue, and for forwarding the details to Andy.

With regards the butt “tip”, then every day is a school day and I have learnt something new, amongst the vast knowledge that you have already shared.

I will have a look at the link, and look forward to hearing back when Andy reverts back to you.

Once again, much appreciated.

Comment

I've had a chat with Andy Hunter and he agrees with the information I have given regarding dates. He considers it a very rare example which should be of interest to collectors, but due to it being machine spliced the value is restricted to the GBP100-150 range. If there was some provenance on the owner it could only increase that valuation.

Comment

Working...
                X