Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximus Cue Review and Feedback

Dear Snooker Players,

I recently purchased a used Maximus Ultimate #1206 cue dark ash single piece. I don't have exact information on when it was purchased and how much it was used.

I would like to know does it effect the cue strength if it is used for long (like 4-5 years). Does the cue power decrease when it gets old or used for couple years or is it vice versa?

Basically, what I want to know is that does an old cue has less power than the new one even if the wood is of good quality?

Thanks for answering my query.

I’ve had my cue 20 years ,and it’s still fine ,unless it splinters around the feral or your not happy with it for some reason ,then age is something not worth worrying about .

Comment

My oldest cue is about 20 years old, and plays the same as when new. I have an old violin at home which was made in 1730 and still plays great. Wood lasts a long time if it's been handled and prepared by someone who knows what they are doing. Maximus know what they're doing.

Comment

If the previous owner sanded the shaft often as a way to remove dirt, then the cue would become thinner and weaker. The tip might not be very good either. Sometimes people sell their cues because the cue is just no good. You should always try out a cue before buying it to see if it plays well. If the seller won't let you, I think he's hiding something.

Comment

Cues should be cleaned and re-oiled/waxed every year. Take off dirt with a damp (damp not wet) soapy cloth and dry with a clean cloth or paper towel immediately, remove top coat of oil with 0000 steel wool, apply a coat of danish/linseed/tung or whatever oil you fancy and leave for five minutes, remove any excess with a clean cloth and leave overnight to dry, in the morning buff with a clean cloth. You can then if you wish apply a wax coat, don't need to but it's something that I do and I've been doing this to my cue every year for the past 35 years and the cue still rocks
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
            ....I have an old violin at home which was made in 1730 and still plays great. Wood lasts a long time if it's been handled and prepared by someone who knows what they are doing. Maximus know what they're doing.
            Wow, nearly 300 years old, that's impressive, I presume you're a pretty good player to have such an instrument. Do you know much about it's history? How did you come by it?

-
            The fast and the furious,
            The slow and labourious,
            All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post

Wow, nearly 300 years old, that's impressive, I presume you're a pretty good player to have such an instrument. Do you know much about it's history? How did you come by it?

-
              I've had it years, don't play much anymore. It has no makers label, so other than the date and being English, I don't know anything else. Reality is though, if it had a makers label it would have cost x10 the amount, and I wouldn't have been able to afford it.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                Cues should be cleaned and re-oiled/waxed every year. Take off dirt with a damp (damp not wet) soapy cloth and dry with a clean cloth or paper towel immediately, remove top coat of oil with 0000 steel wool, apply a coat of danish/linseed/tung or whatever oil you fancy and leave for five minutes, remove any excess with a clean cloth and leave overnight to dry, in the morning buff with a clean cloth. You can then if you wish apply a wax coat, don't need to but it's something that I do and I've been doing this to my cue every year for the past 35 years and the cue still rocks
                What sort of wax do you use Steve? I see different ones for maple and ash cues, is that necessary? Cheers.

-
                The slow and labourious,

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post

I've had it years, don't play much anymore. It has no makers label, so other than the date and being English, I don't know anything else. Reality is though, if it had a makers label it would have cost x10 the amount, and I wouldn't have been able to afford it.
                  I love old instruments, I've worked on some old square pianos from the late 1700s and they fascinate me, imagine the hands that have caressed them, the stories they could tell. In short, I'm jealous.

-
                  The slow and labourious,

Comment

Working...
                  X