Recommended cue up to £300?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended cue up to £300?

I've been looking around and I can't decide on a cue. The only place I know locally where I can have a look at 1 only have some peradon cues for under £200 but they're all standard size. I'm on the tall side, being 6'3" so i'm looking at maybe a 59". I see a lot of positive feedback on cues from Thailand, like Maximus. Theres a Maximus Premium on greenbaize.com for £280 that fits the specs I'm looking for but I don't know if thats a good price or choice? Any opinions appreciated

Where do you live?
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
      Where do you live?
      I'm from Cornwall

Comment

I have a Maximus Legend Plus which cost me about £300. Great cue. You should email Stu at Green Baize and ask him to try out the cue, he'll give you an idea of the shaft stiffness and deflection.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
          I have a Maximus Legend Plus which cost me about £300. Great cue. You should email Stu at Green Baize and ask him to try out the cue, he'll give you an idea of the shaft stiffness and deflection.
          Looks like they're based nowhere near me. That's a nice looking cue, seems to be around £350.

I wonder if I've set my budget a bit high being a novice, it's just this 40 quid cue doesn't feel the best quality, compared to my mates peradon that just looks and feels better quality. But I want to start taking the game seriously so I'm prepared to invest in a decent cue.

Comment

It doesn’t matter what a cue looks like or how much it’s worth ,you need to go somewhere with a table and try a few ,preferably with out looking at the price of them .Something with the Weight ,balence ,thickness ,ferrule size you like and take it from there ,I can’t see anyone getting the right cue for them just ordering it .

Comment

Like the guys said you really have to try and get yourself to a good shop and try some out, spend the day there if you have to! £300 is a decent budget once you get past that 300-400 price mark it’s more about aesthetics than anything else and the name…evenly spaced grain, exotic wood splices etc etc. I’d definitely recommend going for something with a bit of weight behind it, 18oz + and nicely balanced. I’ve tried quite a few Maximus cues and they are good quality and almost production line in there looks, each one has the ebony splicing finishing in the exact same place. I personally have a SP Limited edition cue which look more individual, no two are the same, but probably way over budget. Point being if you can get to a shop! I know Stu at Greenbaize will post cues out and accept them back if your not happy, that might be an option? Just postage costs to consider.

Comment

Seems to be pretty limited where I live for places to buy let alone try first. There's just the 1 place I know of but they literally just have a few peradon cues.
                The cue I've been using is 18.5oz and that feels about right. It's a 9.5mm tip, which is OK, but I feel slightly bigger, like 9.7 would be better for me. As for length, I find I grip right at the end, and being quite tall I'm inclined to go for slightly longer 59 or 60 inch.
                I might have no choice but to take a chance on one. Would be good to choose something I know will at least be good quality, and a half decent resale value would be nice!

Comment

Try these. These are just the tip of the iceberg though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?is...adr147&_sop=16

Comment

I live in Barnstaple north devon and make cues as a hobby, see the 'my workshop' on the cues thread for examples of my work. I could alter your present cue to suit you, cut it back a tad for a slightly larger ferrule and then lengthen it to 60 inches, maybe add a splice or two of exotic timber to jazz it up a bit, make it into a 3/4 split if it's a one piece, all sorts.
                    It would be a lot less than three hundred quid, probably about half that, pm me if you're interested.
                    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by scofield View Post
                      Seems to be pretty limited where I live for places to buy let alone try first. There's just the 1 place I know of but they literally just have a few peradon cues.
                      The cue I've been using is 18.5oz and that feels about right. It's a 9.5mm tip, which is OK, but I feel slightly bigger, like 9.7 would be better for me. As for length, I find I grip right at the end, and being quite tall I'm inclined to go for slightly longer 59 or 60 inch.
                      I might have no choice but to take a chance on one. Would be good to choose something I know will at least be good quality, and a half decent resale value would be nice!
                      I’m currently working on a ebony rosewood and ash 61” cue with a 9.7 ferrule.
                      I also have a few other cues around 59”.
                      Will upload some pics here over the weekend..

https://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/bo...j6-cues/page23
                      Last edited by j6uk; 12 August 2021, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                        I live in Barnstaple north devon and make cues as a hobby, see the 'my workshop' on the cues thread for examples of my work. I could alter your present cue to suit you, cut it back a tad for a slightly larger ferrule and then lengthen it to 60 inches, maybe add a splice or two of exotic timber to jazz it up a bit, make it into a 3/4 split if it's a one piece, all sorts.
                        It would be a lot less than three hundred quid, probably about half that, pm me if you're interested.
                        I wouldn't bother with my current cue, its just a cheapo. Had a look on your thread out of interest but the pictures don't load for me.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post

I’m currently working on a ebony rosewood and ash 61” cue with a 9.7 ferrule.
                          I also have a few other cues around 59”.
                          Will upload some pics here over the weekend..

https://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/bo...j6-cues/page23
                          Sure, I'll check them out

Comment

Originally Posted by scofield View Post

Sure, I'll check them out
                            I’ve also got a couple of cue reviews on my YouTube channel j6uk.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post

I’ve also got a couple of cue reviews on my YouTube channel j6uk.
                              You're still about then mate. I've just started coming back on and wondered if you were still cue making.
                              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
                              X