Cue length change.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue length change.

I have ordered a cue from Ton Praram. My old cue is 57" and the new one I ordered to be 56". Would it make much of a difference playing with the new cue length? BTW I am 5'6". Does going 1" shorter on the cue make much of a difference? Or should I not take any risks and update the cue length to 57" ? It is a Ton Praram Beyond Pro with plain ebony butt that I have ordered.
    Guts over Glory

Originally Posted by throwawayttyl102 View Post
    I have ordered a cue from Ton Praram. My old cue is 57" and the new one I ordered to be 56". Would it make much of a difference playing with the new cue length? BTW I am 5'6". Does going 1" shorter on the cue make much of a difference? Or should I not take any risks and update the cue length to 57" ? It is a Ton Praram Beyond Pro with plain ebony butt that I have ordered.
    56 or 57 inches should be fine for your height. I am about 6 inches taller and play fine with 57 or 58 inch cues without noticing much difference. That said, if you think you might ever sell the cue, you would struggle more selling a 56 vs 57 inch cue, since 56 would be shorter than the average
    Last edited by Mark187187; 26 November 2021, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post

56 or 57 inches should be fine for your height. I am about 6 inches taller and play fine with 57 or 58 inch cues without noticing much difference. That said, if you think you might ever sell the cue, you would struggle more selling a 56 vs 57 inch cue, since 56 would be shorter than the average
      Thanks for the advice.
      So, updating it to 57" would be a wise decision I guess.
      I'll probably wait for a day before taking any action to see what others members have to say.
      Guts over Glory

Comment

I made this mistake before when I ordered a parris traditional, my first top cue choice. Standard length was 57" but as I was starting out I realised that for about 90% of shots I was holding my old cue about 2-3 inches from the end and felt that my cue was too long.
        ​​​​​​
        I decided to order the cue at 55" and when it came I realised what a big mistake I'd made. Cues all play differently and have different balance points etc, so where you grip your cue on one cue, may require a different grip on another. I couldn't basically play a lot of shots as I had no follow through. It was fine close amongst the reds but as soon realised that shots off cushion, power shots etc, these were too difficult to play. Fortunately John was able to add 2 inches and splice into the butt and when I got it back it felt perfect.

I wouldn't take any risks with shortening a cue, you can always grip further up the butt if it's too long. If it's too short however, you will be limited to what shots you can play.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
          I made this mistake before when I ordered a parris traditional, my first top cue choice. Standard length was 57" but as I was starting out I realised that for about 90% of shots I was holding my old cue about 2-3 inches from the end and felt that my cue was too long.
          ​​​​​​
          I decided to order the cue at 55" and when it came I realised what a big mistake I'd made. Cues all play differently and have different balance points etc, so where you grip your cue on one cue, may require a different grip on another. I couldn't basically play a lot of shots as I had no follow through. It was fine close amongst the reds but as soon realised that shots off cushion, power shots etc, these were too difficult to play. Fortunately John was able to add 2 inches and splice into the butt and when I got it back it felt perfect.

I wouldn't take any risks with shortening a cue, you can always grip further up the butt if it's too long. If it's too short however, you will be limited to what shots you can play.
          Thanks for the advise mate.
          Guts over Glory

Comment

What all players subconsciously do is to have more cue over their bridge when playing long shots as this makes sighting easier, something you won't be able to do with a short cue as this will lead to having your grip hand too far forward bringing the upper arm into the stroke. The upper arm is held by the shoulder joint which is a universal joint that can move in any direction rather than the only forwards and backwards movement of the elbow joint.
            What you don't want is to play shots using the shoulder joint, the stroke should be played from the elbow with any upper arm drop made after the strike and every players cue should allow them to do this without having to compact their stance and cue action into something that restricts shot choice and comfort.
            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

My new cue turned up this week but is was made just over half inch shorter ,mine is 58.65 inch ,they had made it only 58. A new cue is being redone ,they were perfectly fine about about it and realised they had made a mistake .I could tell the difference straight away ,just from where you hold the cue at the back .I’m just over 6 feet tall .

Comment

It’s fine listening to advice on here based on members personal experience but the best thing will be to get the cue as it is, play with it and make your mind up. If you not sure once you’ve got it then I’d suggest having a knock with a cue an inch longer and see if it makes any difference to you.
                Generally an inch either way won’t make much difference but that’s not always the case and is personal preference of course.

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
                  My new cue turned up this week but is was made just over half inch shorter ,mine is 58.65 inch ,they had made it only 58. A new cue is being redone ,they were perfectly fine about about it and realised they had made a mistake .I could tell the difference straight away ,just from where you hold the cue at the back .I’m just over 6 feet tall .
                  Spill the beans then, what cue is it ?

Comment

And some pics too.....

Comment

The suspence is killing me now.....
                      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Asia cue147 ultimate ,ebony and fox wood

Comment

I have some pics of the cue Dave bought up ,even though it’s not here the new one should be pretty much the same .I’ll try and put them up later

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
                            Does that 58.65 include the tip ? I measure my cues from the end of the ferrule, tip is 1/4 inch extra and doesn't count.
                            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I see two Fox wood cues on his page today. Is it the 3/4 one or 1pc?

Comment

Working...
                              X