Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to buy for/How to care for a new cue

Hi,

I am new to snooker and have played only a few times (Approx 4). I am pretty terrible but importantly I'm having a great time and hence I do not really mind! In time I'm sure I'll improve! (I play some okay shots but not consistently enough).

I have purchased a cue off of eBay from a seller selling the "Silent Knight" cues (Including case, mini butt and extension)...

I was just wondering if anybody could suggest what other items are "essential" to buy? As above, I'll have (Once it is delivered) a cue, case, mini butt, extension... Of course I don't want to get anything silly for the sake of it (My own set of balls or rest, etc) however what else should I definitely get (Either because I should certainly get one or because it will protect the cue?)... A towel for the cue? Any certain chalk? Any wax and/or oil for the cue? A tip sharpner (What exactly does this do)?

I have seen many bits and bobs but concerned what is essential and what isn't. Considering the amount I have spent £70 for the cue package I want to ensure I treat it well. I have noticed some sets in Argos containing a few items... As well as noticing some wax/towel/cloth packs on eBay.

Noticed I've rambled enough, but I'm finding it hard to express myself.

In short: What should I buy that is (a) pretty essential or (b) necessary to protect the cue?

Cheers!

A cue towel.
    Green Triangle Chalk.
    Good quality tips (Blue Diamond, Elk master, Talisman etc).
    Tipping equipment= glue, craft knife, file, various grades of sandpaper.

Comment

I was considering this item here:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...7C12108344.htm

Seem sound enough?

Would you suggest any treatments for the cue at all? Wax/oil/etc?

Cheers.

Comment

Originally Posted by LavaChild View Post

Seem sound enough?

Cheers.
        that sets alright however you could buy much better for the same price!!

some of the stuff is useless ithe chalk you get form argos is all pretty pap any away so try going for light green or just green triangle chalk also a named tip from the list in a earleir post is kind of essential as a good tip can make a cue bad average or good! plus ive been told the best type of glue for tips is gel super glue! hope that helps lol
        solo 105

match 82

still waiting for that ton!

Comment

Originally Posted by LavaChild View Post

Seem sound enough?

Cheers.
          if I were you, I'd just enjoy playing snooker with your new cue ... the best accessory to go with your new cue is ... errrr ... you! standing well, bridging firmly, aiming well and delivering the cue smoothly in a very straight line ...

The Argos item is just a pressie for people who know nothing about snooker to buy their loved one at Xmas or birthday ... nothing in it will help you play or enjoy the game better ...

[edit] regarding treatment for your new cue ... I would guess it is varnished, ie sealed, so no, there is no treatment you can do to the wood ... just wipe it down with a damp cloth or soapy water if it gets sticky as varnished cues tend to do ...
          Last edited by DandyA; 6 February 2009, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Good tip, good chalk, cue towel and you're all set. For tips, you'll have to find out what you like; soft or firm, so try elkmasters and diamond plus tips as they're about the best IMO. Chalk, green triangle or master chalks are good. Towel, a bar towel is perfect; but wash it a couple of times to get rid of the fluff! There you go, sorted!
            Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Working...
            X