Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratches on the butt.

Hi,

I smoothed out the black areas with a 2000-grit sandpaper because it wasn't smooth enough, but now there are dark gray streaks on it. The 2000-grit paper is usually used for wet sanding, so should I sand it wet (with oil?) or will wax remove it? Is regular beeswax okay? Getting specialized wax is problematic here.

Or make refinishing process from the beginning? How, with what?

When finishing wood you don't need anything finer than 300 grit. 2000 grit is for wet and dry finishing of metal, the grey streaks you have will probably be very fine grit from the paper embedded in the wood. Remove it with 300 grit and then give an oil or wax finish.
    I make cues and my final sanding before the oil finish is only 240 grit which is fine enough for hardwood and means the grit stays on the paper and doesn't end up in the fibres of the wood. A super smooth finish on the butt is actually achieved by polishing the finish and not by using ultra fine wet and dry on the timber.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Yesterday I was enlightened
      I watch snooker crazy video from butt polishing and google for polishing material what he use, going to local autoparts shop and buy carwax, good for dashboard wood inlays.

I not have 300 grit now, just 400.
      Try it in the shaft black parts (I think same material like in the butt, I want play tomorrow and if not good the butt would bother me).
      So sanding with 400 grit and polish.
      Very very shine surface but the grey streaks still here
      I think it's a layer of varnish
      Sanding again, sanding with steel wool, and polish.
      A littlebit better.

Sorry this bad english :S

Comment

I'm back again
        How can I remove the gray lines?
        Sanding the butt wirh 240 grit paper, and polishing with wax (Even after oiling, it remained darker for only a short period.).
        The smoothness of the surface, like brushed aluminum, is good for me, but the stripes not.
        In reality, it's not this bright, darker.
        The black is not black, dark gray (approximately 90% black), and the stripes are about 70% black.
        What should I do to make it a uniform black or dark gray colour without stripes?
        IMG20240114164842.jpg
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

You will need to sand all of the varnish off the butt and refinish it, to remove all of the white lines.
          For that one you've always wanted...
          https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Working...
          X