Off the rack or custom ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off the rack or custom ?

Hi I am in the market of purchasing a new cue with a budget of around £200-£250. I am undecided on whether to go for a custom cue from possibly cue craft or buy a branded one of the rack. If it was off the rack I’d want it to be handmade and not machine spliced. As I play pool it would need to be that spec.

57inch
    8.5mm
    3/4 or 1 pieced ( I have a 3/4 case so would prefer 3/4 )
    ash shaft

what I’d like to ask is what are the pros and cons on going down either route and which brand should I veer towards ?

Loads of questions here tbh, what cue do you currently use? What aspects of a cue do you prefer? I.e. flex, stiff, forward weight, even distributed weight,butt weighted etc? If there's not much preference known....

So cons would be, if you can't answer the above you don't know what custom spec you want so waste of money. Knowing what spec you want will still not secure the cue you hope for... Every piece of wood is different and will have different playing qualities... That's why John Parris made 3 cues for Ronnie & Hendry in same specs so they could decide which one they preferred...

Pros, if you can work with a cue and get to know it, then you got what you asked for and can maybe can get used to it.

Otherwise, or anyway ... It's wise to try before you buy.... Feel is everything and it may not come in the shape and form you envisaged. Some people think they know exactly what specs they need then pick up someone else's cue which is lighter, longer, wider tip mm ....and love it...

It's a big big question you ask, I can only hope you try some different cues (mates, rackers etc etc) and try an decide what you feel you need before shelling out on something that's just pretty.

Best of luck.
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Thank you for your honest response. I’m currently using a Powerglide paramount 3/4 ash cue, 18oz with a 8.5mm. It was originally a 9mm tip but I had it tapered down. Balance weight I’m unsure off as I purchased it blind from the internet as I as just getting back into playing.

I’ve heard good things about maximum, ton pramam cues but I don’t think my budget would stretch that far to purchase one of them

Comment

Originally Posted by PotBlack91 View Post
        Thank you for your honest response. I’m currently using a Powerglide paramount 3/4 ash cue, 18oz with a 8.5mm. It was originally a 9mm tip but I had it tapered down. Balance weight I’m unsure off as I purchased it blind from the internet as I as just getting back into playing.

I’ve heard good things about maximum, ton pramam cues but I don’t think my budget would stretch that far to purchase one of them
        Custom cues (brand name) run by Ruairi McCarrol pro pool player, make some nice cues that start at £250 for a plain ebony butt. Check them out https://www.facebook.com/thecuegallery/
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
        X