Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What cues do the pro's use?

What makes/models etc?

And do they mainly use one pieces or 3/4 joint cues? I still don't know what the pluses and negatives are around one piece or 3/4 joint cues.

I have a 2 piece mass produced cue that has just developed a problem when screwing and unscrewing, and has made me want a one piece cue now to prevent this happening again, but I feel most cues are 3/4, so still with the screw part. Thoughts?

Cues used by pros is a fluid situation, most use a one cue and stick to it; a few others are constantly changing cues, makes and specs trying to find that illusive "holy grail"

But in very approximate numbers about 35-40% of pros use John Parris (mostly Ultimates but other models as well), various other makes are used - Maximus, Stamford, Ton Praram, etc.

Most are 1 piece cues, over 40% and about 25-30% are 3/4, the rest unknow

I used to try to keep up with the cues used but then realised I needed to get a life

What is the issue with your screw joint?
    Often all a joint needs is a clean, if brass I use Brasso wadding and clean the threads and the faces ensuring not much goes onto the wood.
    Last edited by DeanH; 5 January 2024, 12:53 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Get a one piece.

When a joint goes wrong in a cue, any repair will 99/100 leave you with a cue that just doesn't quite feel the same.

If it does just need a little cleaning then you're fine. But once the joint comes away from the cue even slightly, it's the road to ruin in my experience.

I used to try to keep up with the cues used but then realised I needed to get a life
      I know that feeling.

Comment

I make cues and can repair your joint for a tenner plus postage, pm me for details if you're interested.
        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

What is the issue with your screw joint?
          Maybe I was over tightening it? Recently when I was unscrewing it after a session rather than the 'crack' sound happening when you start to unscrew, there was movement in the screw. Then the other day the screw got stuck in the butt end of the cue. Is quite difficult to explain actually!

I'm not overly bothered because the cue is mass produced garbage. It's made me want to buy a bit of quality next but I'd like the next cue to be a bit more of a 'lifer'.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
            I know that feeling.
            Glad your back

Comment

Originally Posted by Eels155 View Post

Maybe I was over tightening it? Recently when I was unscrewing it after a session rather than the 'crack' sound happening when you start to unscrew, there was movement in the screw. Then the other day the screw got stuck in the butt end of the cue. Is quite difficult to explain actually!

I'm not overly bothered because the cue is mass produced garbage. It's made me want to buy a bit of quality next but I'd like the next cue to be a bit more of a 'lifer'.
              ok, a bit of wadding isn't going to do it
              Even if the cue it that bad, it is yours and you are used to it.
              I see vmax has offered to have a look for you, vote of confidence from me for that

Comment

Working...
              X