Jimmy White cue -> white ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy White cue -> white ring

I would like to raise a specific topic: Since last season, Jimmy White has been using a cue with a white ring above the joint area. In the 80s he had a similar cue (white ring), which he probably took over from Alex Higgins. Does anyone know more about his current cue?

I once approached Parris about this and they replied that this time it was just a white tape. This can certainly be supported by the fact that Jimmy, for example, used a cue without a white ring at the last shoot-out tournament. To me it looked a little like there was a dark sheen where the white stripe was (could be correlated to a strip of tape being removed).

Are these different cues with different specifications or is it the same cue with and without "foxtail tuning action"?

Any joint that doesn't irritate my skin would certainly interest me, i was recently playing with a centre jointed cue and the joint didn't irritate at all, unfortunately the cue is cheap ( Argos ) and there's something loose inside the butt joint now so i don't want to play with it.

Comment

One would have to look back at clear pictures or video to see the cues ash grain pattern to determine if they're the same cue, both when Alex was using it as well and that would be quite difficult. The white ring cue certainly has a shorter ebony butt than the one he used prior to going back to or placing white tape around something similar.
      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

There is a legend that his old cue from the 80s was broken by his ex-wife. I don't know, if that one has been fixed again.

I suspect that the new white one has a lighter colored ash wood. But I'm not entirely sure about that. Jimmy's cues were always a bit heavy, but with this one he seems to be able to get much more accurate on the fast professional tables regarding positional play. Cliff Thorburn stated in one of his videos that Jimmy's cue was probably not that heavy (anymore) and estimated its weight at 17.5 oz.

I'm asking here in the forum because I believe that other interested people have also looked into it a little and may have further information.

Comment

I remember reading Jimmy's book and his ex wife definitely broke one of his cues (not sure if it was the white collar one) IIRC the original cue was a Classic Custom made by Michael Dunham and he bought it off Alex because Alex didn't want it anymore.

If you look closely at the current white collar cue you can see the metal joint ring below the white. Looks maybe silver. This would support what JP said about tape as he would obviously need to keep the bottom part of the joint clear of tape so he can unscrew it.
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I know the difference(s) between old and the current version. The new one has a typical brass joint beside the white collar.

url=https://www.facebook.com/maccues/posts/pfbid024cYtmbz5M9mnVMm6EsqhHqqgi7sHMupbRbX5aFDJPdk JdJJV8D6HTgFBXaDaKoGql]MAC Cues Richy MacDonald offers Jimmy's old version.[/url]

Old 80s version looks like this::

Comment

Originally Posted by OscarTheFish(pak) View Post
              I would like to raise a specific topic: Since last season, Jimmy White has been using a cue with a white ring above the joint area. In the 80s he had a similar cue (white ring), which he probably took over from Alex Higgins. Does anyone know more about his current cue?

I once approached Parris about this and they replied that this time it was just a white tape. This can certainly be supported by the fact that Jimmy, for example, used a cue without a white ring at the last shoot-out tournament. To me it looked a little like there was a dark sheen where the white stripe was (could be correlated to a strip of tape being removed).

Are these different cues with different specifications or is it the same cue with and without "foxtail tuning action"?

Zoom right in on that picture and it looks like a brass joint just appearing at the butt end of the white stripe. Doesn't mean that's not tape but it looks like it's at least a three quarter cue.

​​​​
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

For comparison i found this kind of photo without white collar:

Jimmy White playing cue without white collar

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                  "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Yes. This is one of the best replicas I've ever seen. :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X