Cue make/model advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue make/model advice please

After a break from snooker of more years than I care to remember, I am thinking of joining a local club. I was never a particularly good player and I don't have aspirations to play for a team, but I always liked playing a few frames, and I would like to treat myself to a reasonable cue to allow me to enjoy a couple of hours snooker once or twice a week in my retirement. I don't want something cheap which I will want to replace in a few months, and I'm in the fortunate position of being able to buy something decent and which I hope to use for many years. From what I have read £150 to £250ish should get me a nice cue without breaking the bank. I could go a little bit higher, but with a mini extension, case etc.(Anything else I need?), I don't want costs to spiral too much.

I would appreciate any suggestions about which makers (and possibly models) of cue to look at as things have moved on since I bought my Stuart Surridge cue 45 years ago!

After a search on t'internet I now know of Peradon (& Cannon), GBL, Mark Richard, and Ton Praram. I think Maximus are a bit out of my price range, and from what I have read, I think Riley / BCE are not going to be what I'm after. If anyone could give me their thoughts on the makes I mentioned, or suggest others, I would be very grateful.

My previous cue was a two piece, (although I think I would now prefer a 3/4), it was 57" long, weighed a tad under 18 ounces and had a balance point at 19", which I think is a bit far forward.

I'm sorry if this is a silly or recurring question, but thank you for any suggestions, thoughts or otherwise.

Also worth checking out Master Cue. Another good Thai maker, but a fair bit cheaper than Maximus/Ton Praram etc. I've had Master Cue and Maximus cues and liked both.

Comment

Whereabouts are you? If you can find your way to Greenbeize in Thornaby NE England you’ll find hundreds of cues to choose from. Far more than they have for sale via the website. Can’t fail to find something you like within your budget. Great day out if you have to travel a bit. Nice bit of lunch somewhere and a couple of hours hitting balls about. Heaven.

Comment

Mark187187, thank you, I will have a look at Master Cue, I hadn't seen them.

Nifty50, I'm in Hull, but hoping to visit the north east over the summer, so I will do as you suggest and give them a visit. Thank you.

Comment

Tom cues are great value for money, Darren Lowe (I think) sells them ,he's a member on here although I can't remember his user name.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
            Tom cues are great value for money, Darren Lowe (I think) sells them ,he's a member on here although I can't remember his user name.
            that would be darrenlowe79
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thank you itsnoteasy and DeanH.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

that would be darrenlowe79
                Well no wonder I couldn't remember it, it's very cryptic lol.
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Hi folks
                  I don't come on here very often these days. But yes i still stock tom cues if you are interested please message me to discuss.
                  thanks

Comment

Another cue maker who used to be a regular on here makes excellent cues and at very reasonable prices, J6UK I think was his name on here , I bought a one piece from him about 8 years ago and its the best cue i have ever had, he used to have a YouTube channel where he showed the cue and potted some balls , I think his channel was actually called J6UK as well, give it a look
                    It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Contact ADR147, he will have some nice cues for you.

Comment

darrenlowe79, GeordieDS, fkhan, thank you all.

Comment

17" is a nice balance point. I wouldn't recommend the Mark Richard cues, they are ok if just starting out and you want a package with case and extns etc, but really you are buying a pretty cheap Chinese cue so the others options mentioned are better.

Much better idea to spend more on the cue itself initially and save up for a better case etc later down the line.

⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Cue crafty, thank you. I felt my old cue's balance was in the wrong place. I will bear what you said in mind about Mark Richard cues and buying better. I think that is the way to go.

Comment

Hello MarkP, I'm in a similar situation to you, having just taken up the game again after a long break. I think the best advice is always to try to go somewhere that will let you try the cues before you buy one which, of course, is exactly what I didn't do! I bought a Taylor Made cue from SnookerCrazy.com down in Waterlooville and it's easily the best cue I've ever owned, not that it had much competition!

The 3/4 TM cues are around £175 with a mini-butt and I paid £225 for a package with cue, case and an extension and I'm very happy with it. The cues aren't made in the UK, but are finished here.

Comment

Working...
                              X