• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• playing with side

Is it best to play plain ball or play with side on the vue ball

Depends on the shot boyo!

Comment

Well if im takeing the black into the top left hand pocket off its spot and the white is below the black spot about 4 inshes would you play it with left hand side?

Comment

Depends where you want the white to go, how confident you are of the pot, how good a player your are...
        sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by malc2526 View Post
          Well if im takeing the black into the top left hand pocket off its spot and the white is below the black spot about 4 inshes would you play it with left hand side?
          Some people play with "outside" side for these kind of shots, as they feel it makes the pot easier.

In reality the shot is just as easy plain ball if your line is correct. I would only attempt this shot as you describe if I wanted the white to kick off the cushion for position.

Comment

The only reason (maybe 99%) to use side is to get position on the next ball.

So keep in mind: DO NOT use side unless it is absolutely necessary!

Comment

Originally Posted by mooneyy View Post

good advice ... and then normally only on safety's ... if you're going for a pot be aware that side will make you miss! or it does me anyway

Comment

You should not be affraid to use side, but from my experience, you shouldn't be using it too often because you'll start to have trouble with plain ball shots like myself

Comment

Originally Posted by mooneyy View Post

Why do people say this?

Some people find it natural, like me to use side.
                  Maybe not at distance but if a player is comfortable using side, or bits of side when in balls then why not?

Plain ball potting is not allways the best way for me to find the right position for the white.

Comment

Side is fine as long as you understand the effect. Some people find it easier than others. However from the initial generalised statement from the first post i would advise not using side unless you understand exactly why you are using it and the effect it will have on both the trajectory of the object ball and the path of the white.
                    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

just another thought ... at my admittedly poor level of skill ... if I look at the position and think "oh, some side would be good", I try to stop myself and ask "could top achieve the same result?" ...

and more often than not it can ... say, for instance, you're on a 3/4 or 1/2 ball black with the white heading towards the black end cushion and the next red is just on the pink side of the black ...

you can think about a stun with right off the end cushion to leave the red in the opposite corner ... or you could think about a slight screw with maybe some left to leave the red into the same corner pocket as the black ...

or you could just use top and roll the white off end and side cushion ... I know which I prefer!

Comment

Originally Posted by malc2526 View Post
                        I usually play this shot with some degree of screw or slow drag to hold the cue ball.

If I am below the black, say a bit like a 3/4 ball, and it is my last black, I will put a bit outside to get on the yellow. With side, I do not need to hit it as hard.

Or say if I am on the wrong side of the blue, and I need to get back down table, sometimes I use side sometimes I dont, depends on the angle.

If I am high on the pink and I need to get on the yellow, I will use side so the cue ball comes off the bottom and side cushion.

Some shots are better play with side so you do not need to hit it as hard, some shots you must use side almost.

Like if you are a 1/2 ball on the black on the high side, and your next reds are kind of along the line joining the pink and the black, I usually play it with a bit of inside to get the red in the opposite pocket, with plain top the cue ball will run into the reds. Or you can play it int he same pocket, in which case usually I use a bit of outside so I do not need to hit the cue ball too hard.

Also, if I am almost straight and I need to draw or follow the black to get on my next red I very often have no choice but to use side.

If I am on a baulk color(yellow or green)and I need to use it to break out the pack, I almost always use side so I do not have to hit it too low so as to slow down the cue ball...

Just some examples I can think of when I will use side for sure.
                        Last edited by poolqjunkie; 25 February 2009, 08:59 AM.
                        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by 1lawyer View Post
                          Why do people say this?

Some people find it natural, like me to use side.
                          Maybe not at distance but if a player is comfortable using side, or bits of side when in balls then why not?

Plain ball potting is not allways the best way for me to find the right position for the white.
                          People say this because it's true

I have a team mate who plays side all the time often unnecessarily.
                          He is twice the player I am make big breaks 8 balls with his eyes shut at pool but he misses shots sometimes with daft side when he could have happily hit it plain ball. He might point out that he's better than me but I don't miss as many stupid pots.

Doesn't matter how good you are plain ball is best IMO (position being a reason to deviate from this).

Comment

Working...
                          X