No announcement yet.

Length of cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm around the same height as you and use a 56.5" cue for pool, but for snooker I'd tend to go longer. Perhaps 57" or 57.5" max, because I've got short arms for my height. (What you have to do is measure your arm span to know if your arms are short, long or whatever; if your arm span is, eg. 1.78m and you are 1.8m then you have short arms.)
    However, the only way to know if a certain length is good for you or not, is to try it. That doesn't mean you have to buy a cue just to see if it's good or not! You can try this at the club with your own cue. What you do is get some tape and measure on the butt of the cue where you'd have to hold it to replicate a cue length of 55", 56", 56.5" etc. Mark with a piece or circle of tape and try and play holding with the back of your hand on the top of the tape. It's easy. Then play holding the cue at the right spot for several types of shots and see what works and if you're at ease.

Hope this helps.
    Keith
    Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

I am quite tall, 1.87 cm but I started to play better when I tried a shorter cue. I have no explanation for it, anyone have an idea?

Comment

A more compact cue action, probably. It limits your backswing and the length of your bridge, so you're more in control of your cue.
        Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
          A more compact cue action, probably. It limits your backswing and the length of your bridge, so you're more in control of your cue.
          I agree with Kieth on this one. It certainly helped me in that way, just got to excited and shortened my cue a bit too much now its just bout playable but can't rely on it to make good breaks specialy with long or power shots.
          So basicaly cueless now.
          Till my Tw arrives. Just use house cues every where I go now which has damaged my game.

Comment

However, the only way to know if a certain length is good for you or not, is to try it. That doesn't mean you have to buy a cue just to see if it's good or not! You can try this at the club with your own cue. What you do is get some tape and measure on the butt of the cue where you'd have to hold it to replicate a cue length of 55", 56", 56.5" etc. Mark with a piece or circle of tape and try and play holding with the back of your hand on the top of the tape. It's easy. Then play holding the cue at the right spot for several types of shots and see what works and if you're at ease.

Hope this helps.
            Keith
            good advice Keith!

I'm 6' 1" (sorry no idea what that is in new money) and I play with a 57.5" cue and used to pretty much hold it at the end ... until a friend pointed out to me I was way behind vertical (forearm that is) at the address position ...

So I thought about this for a while but decided it's a reasonable length cue for a bloke of my height so what's the problem?

I decided I was probably being a bit lazy with my bridge arm ... keeping it too comfortably bent ... so I now try to extend it another couple of inches which seems to be working ...

It's still nowhere near Joe Davis type straight but I can see the benefit ... if only because the further your eyes are from your bridge, the better your sighting is ... within reason, of course

Comment

I think you are right, it feels more compact indeed!

Comment

Im 1.675m, I was coached yesterday and found out that at the address position I hold the cue somewhere around 12cm from the end of the butt, and i have a short arm span, should I reduce the cue length to 56in?(I have a cue to be made by Robin Cook)
                Also i think hold the cue so far away from te butt doesnt look good

Comment

I have tryed this and I would recommend staying as you are, There will always be occassion when you need a little bit more cue. I also asked del hill this question and he also advised against shortening the cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                    good advice Keith!

I'm 6' 1" (sorry no idea what that is in new money) and I play with a 57.5" cue and used to pretty much hold it at the end ... until a friend pointed out to me I was way behind vertical (forearm that is) at the address position ...

So I thought about this for a while but decided it's a reasonable length cue for a bloke of my height so what's the problem?

I decided I was probably being a bit lazy with my bridge arm ... keeping it too comfortably bent ... so I now try to extend it another couple of inches which seems to be working ...

It's still nowhere near Joe Davis type straight but I can see the benefit ... if only because the further your eyes are from your bridge, the better your sighting is ... within reason, of course
                    I am also 6 feet 1 and use a cue that is 57 1/2 inches. Dont you feel short of cue at times on some shots and wish there was a bit more cue or do you revert to the mini butt at that time.

I personally think that my cue is short for me. Still considering to move on to a longer one. But I am still not sure I have to hold from the very end of the butt and dont really like it but cant help it.
                    "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Working...
                    X