Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why that blue cheap looking ring on the extensions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why that blue cheap looking ring on the extensions?

Is there some reason why extensions we usually see have that very cheap looking blue plastic ring? I am just wondering if there is a historical reason behind the choice of this color.

I compare most nice snooker cues to very well made antique furniture, with nice seasoned solid wood, connected by wood/metal parts, but no cheap plastic.

Why use such a piece of cheap looking, easy to damage soft plastic with such an awkward color?

Am I the only one who feel this way?
    www.AuroraCues.com

It doesn't look ideal. I think it is because the people who make these extensions are 'Blue-ray', almost all manufacturers use them but just with a different joint thread.

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
      It doesn't look ideal. I think it is because the people who make these extensions are 'Blue-ray', almost all manufacturers use them but just with a different joint thread.
      So, blue is chosen because people making it is called "blue ray?"

You know, I actually think the black ones used by the Thai cue makers look much more classy and elegant.

I was looking at these pictures of all these nice cues made by the 'masters" and next to their cues are these black extensions with a bright blue plastic rings.

Perhpas we are so used to looking at them that they have become acceptable, but come to think of it, it is like buying a nice antique mohogany chest and put a bright blue plastic knobs on the drawers.

Thank you.
      Last edited by poolqjunkie; 18 June 2009, 06:57 AM.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I fully agree with you there poolqjunkie: butt ugly but accepted to look at, maybe due to the lack of alternatives. Must be something like mick jagger, or las vegas.

I'm definitely gonna paint mine.

Comment

You want to look at Mike Wooldridges extension. looks like a Black anodised Aluminium collar. Its the best extension i've ever seen. Superb.

Trouble is you need a Mike Wooldridge cue to use it and they dont come cheap. But they do come extremely well made and playable.

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
            You know, I actually think the black ones used by the Thai cue makers look much more classy and elegant.
            Have to agree I don't like the blue plastic ring on the extensions. Has anyone a link or websites for places that do the extensions in all black?

Comment

Here you go.

Comment

i'll have to agree with you poolqjunkie . the blue ring doesn't look good at all .

Comment

A lot of Thai cues use a black extension, but I have read people calling it cheap China made extensions here. I like what Mike uses, and I think it is also used by Welsh pool trading.
                  I am glad I am not the only one who think that blue and that cheap plastic material is BAD.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I have one of these extensions lying around with a female joint that screws into the shaft of a 3 piece cue, thus it is one of the longer ones. I am wanting to change the female joint into a male one and shorter the extension itself. Does anyone know how to shorten this type of extension and is it easy to change the joint?

Comment

Working...
                    X