Calling old cue experts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling old cue experts!

I've had the idea for about a year now to create my own site for my passion of collecting old cues. When trying to catalogue my cues for the site I realised I have very little (very very little) technical knowledge on the types of timbers used for my cues, and I'm frankly rubbish at identifying them.

I muddled through a very rough cataloguing of my cues, which went along the lines of ... its a brown butt its rosewood... black its ebony.. no grain shaft its Maple.. grained its Ash, but I know I'm wrong on literally every other cue.

If there's any experts in the house who could spare the time to help correct my mistakes I'd be very gratefully.. the site is www.oldcues.co.uk (please forgive the awful design and typos its very much WIP).

Cheers, Mike

P.S
    I hope Jeff will forgive me one day for re tapering his mascot too!..
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old cue collector --
    Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
    (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you got quite alot of cues good there i thought i was bad with my lot

Comment

Plenty of cues still to find yet!
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Old cue collector --
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

if you could have any cue which 1 would be the ultimate cue to own?

Comment

I suppose a former champions actual playing cue would be a dream, but highly unlikely the opportunity would ever present itself, and even if it did, quite difficult to gaurentee the provononce too I'd expect.

On a more realistic front, I think the Cook herringbone spliced cue looks fantastic, althought I haven't seen any come up for sale so I expect it wouldn't be cheap.. so it would be hard to justify spending the kind of money required to buy some of the most sought after cues in the current economic climate.

In immediate terms, the ultimate cue would be the next one! I'm quite enjoying the challenge of getting out and about finding cues rather than sitting waiting on an auction.. much cheaper too!
          Old cue collector --

Comment

Call Oldgit.
            He's a cue expert.

=o)

Noel

Comment

I'm quite enjoying the challenge of getting out and about finding cues rather than sitting waiting on an auction.. much cheaper too!
              you sound a bit like me all my snooker cues come from car boots do you go to boot sales

Comment

Working mens clubs and recommendations from one old fella who knows someone.. and he knows someone... etc at the moment... I have more cues available than I can afford! Do you see many one piece old cues at car boots? I'd have thought they be quite rare if for no other reason than they're not the easiest things to move about!
                Old cue collector --

Comment

i have picked up a lot of one piece cues the best one i got was a maple Burwat Champion cue got about 80 cues about 40 are good tho are you in london

Comment

ADR147 is alway good when it comes to getting cues watch his threads..

Comment

Good spot on the Burwatt, one of my favs so far was the Mannock I've described as maple on the site.. to be honest I don't think its maple at all, the texture (not colour) is identical to the dark pinky orange pear Mannock (also in the gallery), but the colour is very pale. I'm thinking the cue imay also be pear but hasn't been out of the tube for most of its life so didn't age in colour. Perhaps I'm wrong? I showed it to Jeff from on here when he dropped off another cue, and he didnt seem too sure himself!

No I'm up in west yorkshire, still quite a few working mens clubs up here at least.
                      Old cue collector --

Comment

my best buy from a car boot sale was a joe davis 1 piece 147 cue for £4, in a case as well.could not belive it was that cheap lol

Comment

Originally Posted by karl parris View Post
                          my best buy from a car boot sale was a joe davis 1 piece 147 cue for £4, in a case as well.could not belive it was that cheap lol
                          Dont think anyone will beat my best car boot find, A very rare EJ Riley Tombstone badged Horace Lindrum cue that had Horace Lindrums hand written autograph on the shaft. I didnt spot the autograph until I got home and then spent hours trying to read the 2nd signture only to realise it said Best Wishes and wasnt a second signature at all!!
                          It is now with Graham Tilley who has a very extensive collection of Riley cues.
                          http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

I'm surprised nobodys commented that they are a "Young Cue Expert"
                            sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                              I suppose a former champions actual playing cue would be a dream, but highly unlikely the opportunity would ever present itself, and even if it did, quite difficult to gaurentee the provononce too I'd expect.

On a more realistic front, I think the Cook herringbone spliced cue looks fantastic, althought I haven't seen any come up for sale so I expect it wouldn't be cheap.. so it would be hard to justify spending the kind of money required to buy some of the most sought after cues in the current economic climate.

In immediate terms, the ultimate cue would be the next one! I'm quite enjoying the challenge of getting out and about finding cues rather than sitting waiting on an auction.. much cheaper too!
                              i have patsy 's playing cue and possibly alex higgins burwat for sale if you are feeling wealthy......
                              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                              X