John Higgins' cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Higgins' cue

Anyone know what is the cue of John Higgins?
    www.thesnookerplanet.com:snooker:

Originally Posted by alvessnooker View Post
    Anyone know what is the cue of John Higgins?
    Northwest i think, could be wrong though.
    "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

no thats right i was at north west cues about 2 weeks ago a mate is having some work done to is cue and when we where there 1 of higgins mates turned up with is cue for some work. also the 1st time i ever went to north west cues john higgins was actually there himself picking up is cue he even showed me how to get back to the motorway.

Comment

Yes, the cue John Higgins uses is a Northwest cue made by Kevin Muncaster. John gave Kevin his cue specifications and Kevin made about half a dozen cues all to John's spec. and John chose the one which won him World titles in 2007 & 2009. Kevin put the the other cues which were autographed by John up for sale. A friend of mine had some work done to his cue by Kevin and I went along when he went to pick it up. Kevin showed me one of the John Higgins cues that was for sale. It was quite short (55/56 inch long) and the last 10 inch of the butt actually tapered down. A normal cue starts with a 10mm ferrule and end with a - say -30mm butt. John's cue would taper down to about 26mm - it would be thicker further up the cue than at the butt end ( I hope i'm making sense!).

Comment

Yes, I remember seeing the other 4 or so cues ... the ones that John hadn't chosen as his, coming up on ebay when I was looking for a cue. It must have been about 2 years ago and I remember the name of the cuemaker - Muncaster. I also remember that they were very light .. by todays standards .. about 16 oz. It said on the auction that John had personally chosen the wood that these were to be made from when he commissioned them, then tried them out, and hand picked one (and maybe a spare I'd imagine) when they were completed.

Comment

kevin also made craig steadmans cue ,, 591/4 long 20 1/2oz 10mm tip but plays with a 11mm mushroom(elkmaster)tip,,and it is poker stiff(and i mean stiff) and has the thickest butt of any modern cue i have ever picked up must be nearly 32mm

Comment

Originally Posted by mick farrell View Post
              Yes, the cue John Higgins uses is a Northwest cue made by Kevin Muncaster. John gave Kevin his cue specifications and Kevin made about half a dozen cues all to John's spec. and John chose the one which won him World titles in 2007 & 2009. Kevin put the the other cues which were autographed by John up for sale. A friend of mine had some work done to his cue by Kevin and I went along when he went to pick it up. Kevin showed me one of the John Higgins cues that was for sale. It was quite short (55/56 inch long) and the last 10 inch of the butt actually tapered down. A normal cue starts with a 10mm ferrule and end with a - say -30mm butt. John's cue would taper down to about 26mm - it would be thicker further up the cue than at the butt end ( I hope i'm making sense!).
              That's really interesting, because I noticed something different about his cueing action when I went to the china open a few years back.

Most coaches teach you to open the last few fingers as you bring the cue back, and close them as you bring it through. Most of the professionals do this. But when I watched John play I noticed that he didn't do this so much, instead moving his wrist more as the cue went back, and not opening his fingers very much.

I guess this gives him a stronger grip, and the taper you described allows him to do this.
              Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Hi can some one confirm the info in this thread as Tony Wilshaw seems to be implying that he made Johns cue on his web site?
                http://www.twcues.co.uk/about.php

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
                  Hi can some one confirm the info in this thread as Tony Wilshaw seems to be implying that he made Johns cue on his web site?
                  http://www.twcues.co.uk/about.php
                  Pretty old looking pics, Higgins almost has a full head of hair compared to the whispy hair he has left now, also look at Parrots hair, that pic looks to be around the early 90's.

Comment

I wouldn't take too much into what he has said on that page. He probably carried out work on Higgins cue as he was always changing the length and having alterations made to his cue back then. Most cue makers list players they have done work for, doesn't mean to say they actually use the cue of said cue maker though.

Comment

So it was north west cues? What are they/ Kevin like to deal with?

Comment

I find Kev very easy to deal with.Good ,solid,down to earth,bit distant until he warms up,but will never steer you wrong or sell you something you dont need.Great playing cues , even if his splice work is sometimes not perfect, but its how a cue plays thats important.Reasonable prices too.He is a one man band though and his health is not brilliant at times ,so sometimes patience is a virtue.Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks old school

Comment

Watching higgins play with this cue against dott, the grain is pretty odd looking on it and doesn't seem to be much of it at all, seems to be about 3 or so reverse...well theyre meant to be points but theyre really all over the show. I remember the ultimate he had made by John Parris, back then he seemed to prefer forward points and it had quite a few of them on it. Think thats the cue he used to win his first world title as the website had an article about him chopping and chaning cues before he got JP to make him a cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                              Watching higgins play with this cue against dott, the grain is pretty odd looking on it and doesn't seem to be much of it at all, seems to be about 3 or so reverse...well theyre meant to be points but theyre really all over the show. I remember the ultimate he had made by John Parris, back then he seemed to prefer forward points and it had quite a few of them on it. Think thats the cue he used to win his first world title as the website had an article about him chopping and chaning cues before he got JP to make him a cue.
                              Hi Narl what web site are you referring to

Comment

Working...
                              X