Cues: 3/4 or 1/2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cues: 3/4 or 1/2?

Another cue question (I've looked through the forum and haven't found a conclusive answer).

I'm in the market for a new cue to replace my aging (and warped) Powerglide Maestro 1/2 jointed 2 piece.

I've never played with 3/4 jointed cue.

What are the advantages and disadvantages for having a 3/4 jointed cue over a 1/2 cue?

Thanks for your help.
    3/4 butt jointed 2 piece
    40.00%
    1/2 jointed 2 piece
    20.00%
    1 piece
    40.00%

I use a basic half jointed cue, the only real advantage of a joint in that position is that it's easier to carry around. One of the obvious disadvangates is that the join is just about under the chin when cueing, some people find that off-putting (and can be painful if you haven't shaved properly ).

3/4 jointed cues are also reputed to have a better feel to them as the allow the cue to flex more naturally when the ball is struck (you've got to see one of those slow motion replays to appreciate how much the cue really does bend). I'm getting out of my depth there as I don't think I'm good enough a player to properly notice the difference, but it's what I've heard from people who are. This could be a bit of a myth; players of old would scoff at anyone using any kind of 2 piece, now all the top players do and seem to manage well enough.

The 3/4 also offers the possibility of swapping the quarter length butt out completely for half length one where more reach is required, as Matthew Stevens does. This is probably better than adding a third piece in the form of a mini-butt extension as it allows more control over the weight distribution and avoids an extra join.

Comment

Firstly there is nothing wrong with a 1/2 or middle jointed cue, its just that 3/4 jointed cues became popular when Jimmy White used one.

I don't really think there are any advantages as such, apart from the obvious that a centre jointed cue is easier to carry around, and obviously a 3/4 jointed is easier than a 1 piece. If you are looking at how they play well there is a difference between the 2. A centre jointed cue will be made as a 1 piece and have a joint fitted in the centre.

The joint does make the cue feel slightly different and does alter the weight balance slightly but you can only feel that difference if you changed the cue from a single piece to a centre joint. However 3/4 jointed cues are made from a shaft which is selected and sized accordingly, i.e. depending on the length of the butt required. A solid ebony or other hard wood is then selected for the butt which adds more weight to the cue than a single piece cue which usually has to be weighted. This is why 3/4 cues are more popular because of the extra weight which helps in todays power game. They are back heavy though, most of the weight will be in the butt end and this isn't to everyones liking, including mine.

Comment

all down to personal preference.....some people like 1, some 3/4, some 1/2

Comment

I prefer 3/4. Better general balance IMO.
          Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

I have played with both. Have liked both. It just depends on personal choice.
            Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

I use a 1 piece Will Hunt maple with black ebony (is it, im not sure) at the bottom. I've had it for about 4 years.
              :snooker:

Comment

I've got a 1/2 much easier to carry!
                1 piece I believe have the best feel (my Dad says if a cue is good the bloke who made it wouldn't take a saw to it)
                3/4 don't work for me, can be back heavy, still a pain to carry, useful for pool in a tight spot though!
                Will Hunt very nice!
                I've been talking about getting a new cue for ages but I keep talking myself out of it. Plus I still don't know what to get, weight, tip size, length, maple/ash, 1/2 or 1 piece.
                Would know which cue maker to use either I know Leicesterjohn swears by Glover. Also heard good things about Tony ions, Trevor White and the like.
                Master cues are popular too nowadays!

Comment

I've got a 1/2 jointed 2 piece, simply because there was nothing else available!

Comment

You can't say one cue is better than another just because it is 1 piece or 2 piece. One cue can be better than another, but that has normally nothing to do with if it's 1, 2 or 3 pieces. I really can't belive those who say a one piece cue has a better feel than a two piece. If it's a good cue, you don't feel the joint.

Comment

No I think generally you get a bit more feel from a 1 piece although I agree that you can have a great cue that's jointed!

Comment

3 piece at the moment, but I'm getting a new one soon that will be 2.
                        You play a long slow deadweight red to a corner pocket. As it approaches the pocket, a kamikaze woodlouse crawls out from under the cushion and makes its way across the table, conflicting with the path of the red precisely at the point the red gets there. The red, needless to say, veers off course, and the future of the woodlouse is uncertain. - The Statman

Comment

I'm on the market for a nice 1 piece cue - I personally can feel the difference between a jointed and non-jointed cue, and much prefer it without the joint.

Even when I play with a one pice club cue there is a certain feel which I just cant find in my current jointed cue.

Without sounding too philosophical - I feel more at one with a 1 piece cue, as if it is more a part of me.

Comment

Have you been getting coaching from Yoda again?

Comment

is it that obvious?

Comment

Working...
                              X