Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elston Cue

Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I have a snooker cue but don't know anything about it. I tried to research it on the net but no dice. The plaque reads...ELSTON'S Goldsmith Street Nottingham...It's a one piece cue. Does anyone know anything about this cue? as I want to sell it and don't know what price to put on it.

Thx alot

Best Regards

Muppetboi

Could be connected to Elston & Hopkin but that's just a guess. As for value, as long as you take good pics and list it properly it should find it's value on ebay. Put 'rare' and 'collectors' as a subtitle in the listing if you think it is

Comment

Thx alot, I did wonder if it was related to that company...I have looked at their site but can't find the cue.

Thx for the quick reply

Comment

Originally Posted by Muppetboi View Post
        Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I have a snooker cue but don't know anything about it. I tried to research it on the net but no dice. The plaque reads...ELSTON'S Goldsmith Street Nottingham...It's a one piece cue. Does anyone know anything about this cue? as I want to sell it and don't know what price to put on it.
        Can't give you a value but might be able to help with a date. Elston took over the business of Jon Gent around 1925 and amalgamated with J S Hopkin to become Elston and Hopkin in 1938. So anything marked "Elston's" is likely to have been made between these dates. The company still has a website at www.elstonandhopkin.co.uk You might ask them directly.

Comment

One thing I noticed is they have a shockingly bad ebay feedback thesedays lol

Comment

Thx alot chaps, I think I will ask them directly. It really is a good cue but I can't get on with it, somehow the balance is off. Besides I already have a cue and as u know, u should only practice and play matches with the same cue or it messes your game up somewhat.

Comment

no need to ask ,

Yes it is an old Elston cue later of Elston and Hopkin , pre 1938 , and he was on his own for just 7 years after leaving Gents premises in Broad street to Goldsmith street and prob only 7 years at Broad street after Gents death , so the cue can be dated from 1931 to 1938 , you can get very early Elston cue's with Broad street stamped into the butt , but have not seen any of the broad street cues with name disc's .
              all cues where either Burroughs and watts or Peradon supplied with the Elston disc added after at Goldsmith street.

I still have around 70 GENUINE pre 1938 John hopkin of hyson Green butt badge inserts in a box unused and as new .

Yes they do have a bit of bad feedback on ebay , mainly due to posting late , mainly down to one person though ....not me .

I can vouch for the Billiard fitting side though .

other firms that started out of Elston and Hopkin where , Belvoir billiards ( mick Robb deceased) who part trained me , and Anthony & Pykett , Mick Pykett is now a Prison officer and Brian Anthony is giving the buisness up so his ebay sales say ? , another fitter who left was Roger Percyhinski who set up Direct Recovers and is still trading although close to retirment age now .
              there was another nottingham firm who cue's are collectable and they where Howarth Nuthall of Lenton no connection to Elston or Hopkin but maybe trained by Gent .

John hopkin jnr is still alive and in his eighties .

Elston & hopkin was sold 6 years ago to Ted Roberts and incorperated into Universal logic group of companies , based near Gainsborough Linc's , I went with the sale and have now completed 30 years service for them , having trained for 6 years previous with Mick robb @ Belvoir billiards . I am still based in the nottingham area and work from home for the fitting side .
              I can only apoligise for any bad postal service on ebay and will pass the comments on to who is responsable . although to be fair I have had a look and it is only a few that have been let down .

the cue is prob worth £30 to £60 more if hand spliced .
              never heard of Elston cues fetching over £100 , but I did see an Elston and hopkin cue ( stewards cue ) in a club in derby that was realy a B&watts j p Mannock with an E&H badge , that must be worth a bit more as a rare collectable .

Geoff large
              Senior fitter
              Elston & hopkin .
              Last edited by Geoff Large; 21 May 2010, 05:10 PM.
              [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Thx for all your help gents, I sold the cue for £50 to a collector in Sheffield. He has more than 100 cues. I'm happy the cue found a good home.

Cheers

Muppetboi

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
                  no need to ask ,

Yes it is an old Elston cue later of Elston and Hopkin , pre 1938 , and he was on his own for just 7 years after leaving Gents premises in Broad street to Goldsmith street and prob only 7 years at Broad street after Gents death , so the cue can be dated from 1931 to 1938 , you can get very early Elston cue's with Broad street stamped into the butt , but have not seen any of the broad street cues with name disc's .
                  all cues where either Burroughs and watts or Peradon supplied with the Elston disc added after at Goldsmith street.

I still have around 70 GENUINE pre 1938 John hopkin of hyson Green butt badge inserts in a box unused and as new .

Yes they do have a bit of bad feedback on ebay , mainly due to posting late , mainly down to one person though ....not me .

I can vouch for the Billiard fitting side though .

other firms that started out of Elston and Hopkin where , Belvoir billiards ( mick Robb deceased) who part trained me , and Anthony & Pykett , Mick Pykett is now a Prison officer and Brian Anthony is giving the buisness up so his ebay sales say ? , another fitter who left was Roger Percyhinski who set up Direct Recovers and is still trading although close to retirment age now .
                  there was another nottingham firm who cue's are collectable and they where Howarth Nuthall of Lenton no connection to Elston or Hopkin but maybe trained by Gent .

John hopkin jnr is still alive and in his eighties .

Elston & hopkin was sold 6 years ago to Ted Roberts and incorperated into Universal logic group of companies , based near Gainsborough Linc's , I went with the sale and have now completed 30 years service for them , having trained for 6 years previous with Mick robb @ Belvoir billiards . I am still based in the nottingham area and work from home for the fitting side .
                  I can only apoligise for any bad postal service on ebay and will pass the comments on to who is responsable . although to be fair I have had a look and it is only a few that have been let down .

the cue is prob worth £30 to £60 more if hand spliced .
                  never heard of Elston cues fetching over £100 , but I did see an Elston and hopkin cue ( stewards cue ) in a club in derby that was realy a B&watts j p Mannock with an E&H badge , that must be worth a bit more as a rare collectable .

Geoff large
                  Senior fitter
                  Elston & hopkin .
                  Thank you so much for this info. Nice piece of history there, really enjoy reading it.
                  By the way, please forgive my ignorance. I have never heard fo the term "fitter." What does a fitter do? Is it like a cue maker?
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                    Thank you so much for this info. Nice piece of history there, really enjoy reading it.
                    By the way, please forgive my ignorance. I have never heard fo the term "fitter." What does a fitter do? Is it like a cue maker?
                    Billiards Fitter = a person who installs a Billiard table and can also Rerubber , re block , Level , recover , tip cues and service a Billiard table .

Comment

I also have an Elston's cue, which I am lead to believe was made before 1938. It has a white plaque that says Elston's, Empire Match Cue, Nottingham.

Does anybody know any more about this particular cue?

Cheers

Comment

Elston used to work for John Gent , he later took over gents premises on Broad street nottingham and convent street too .
                        He renamed the company Elstons around 1931/2 .
                        He moved premises around that time to the old Empire theatre on Goldsmith street nottingham, hence why he named the cue the Empire Match cue , Hopkin joined him in 1938 to form the algimated Elston & hopkin , they also named their rerubbered cushions the EMPIRE MATCH CUSHION . and you oftern see this Rerubber on the end cushions of tables mainly around the midlands area .

So it is the building which was used as a Billiard hall and offices , that the cue takes it's name from , it is now demolished around 1982 to make way for a new theatre .

I think the convent street workshop was also sold off in the Gent to elstons take over so they had workshops on Canal street Nottingham , later on a Billiard hall and workshops on Newark street .which was sold around 10 years ago .

Between Elston and hopkin they had 13 Billiard Halls around Nottingham and Mansfield area's , a Repair buisness and sales outlet for cues table tennis darts and bowls etc .
                        the modern elston and hopkin firm is now owned by Universal logic , and only has one Snooker club , but it is nothing to do with the Firm name Elston and hopkin and is run by universal logic .

Sadly Elston and hopkin billiards Ltd , was closed down around 7 years ago , Universal logic just bought the Contract work and the rights to use Elston And hopkin brand name but not the Billiards ltd company tagged on the end .
                        I transfered over to work for the brand name Elston and hopkin and still work there as a Billiards fitter .
                        but work from home rather than any fixed base .

Geoff
                        Last edited by Geoff Large; 24 February 2011, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that Geoff.
                          It's a one piece cue, do you know if it would be of any value, or a collector's item?

Comment

Originally Posted by Rudd View Post
                            Thanks for that Geoff.
                            It's a one piece cue, do you know if it would be of any value, or a collector's item?
                            same as first Elston's cue on this thread £30 to £60 , maybe a bit more if Hand spliced , it would have been a Peredon or B & watts cue blank , with the Elstons Match cue disc added when it came into Elstons Workshop .

Geoff

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
                              Elston used to work for John Gent , he later took over gents premises on Broad street nottingham and convent street too .
                              He renamed the company Elstons around 1931/2 .
                              Hl moved premises around that time to the old Empire theatre on Goldsmith street nottingham, hence why he named the cue the Empire Match cue , Hopkin joined him in 1938 to form the algimated Eston & hopkin , they also named their rerubbered cushions the EMPIRE MATCH CUSHION .

So it is the building which was used as a Billiard hall and offices , that the cue takes it's name from , it is now demolished around 1982 to make way for a new theatre .

I think the convent street workshop was also sold off in the Gent to elstons take over so they had workshops on Canal street Nottingham , later on a Billiard hall and workshops on Newark street .which was sold around 10 years ago .

Geoff
                              Come off it geoff, you could of been a little more helpful on this subject!!!
                              Seriously though, what a great help you have been.

Danny
                              Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Working...
                              X