Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does the cue deflect upon contact with the cue ball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does the cue deflect upon contact with the cue ball?

Since the last year I have watched a lot of snooker (ok, every televised event).

Anyway, I have noticed that when a lot of players, including all the big names, take a shot, the cue deflects left or right upon impact with the cue ball.

For example, O Sullivan did this in his match against Ding in the Snooker Premier League and so did Dott against Hendry in his Prem League match. Dott did this on a long distance shot and the shot was miles off from going in.

Related to this (this may be the cause), why do snooker players firm up on the grip in the backswing (seeing this from behind when the camera is there shows this), and then tighten up the grip upon contact with the cue ball? My stroke works the opposite way and it helps generate a lot of spin and also seems to help me pocket balls at pocket pace. In pool, the general lesson is to release the grip at contact with the CB for the reasons I said.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

Re the cue deflecting left or right after striking the cue ball, I thoroughly advise against this.

All the top players strike through the ball in a straight line. This provides more accuracy, consistency and helps avoid putting any unwanted side on the cue ball.

I agree that Dott cues like this quite a lot and he actually seems to 'snatch' quite often. (he does this more when the shot requires a lot of power) Although one cannot question Dott's ability, his cueing leaves a lot to be desired.

Re Ronnies shot last night, I think you'll find he turned his cue upon realising he was missing the shot. Ronnie's cueing is the best in the game. Smooth, straight follow through, excellent timing and effortless.
    Mon the Rocket

Comment

Originally Posted by Cessy143
      Re the cue deflecting left or right after striking the cue ball, I thoroughly advise against this.

All the top players strike through the ball in a straight line. This provides more accuracy, consistency and helps avoid putting any unwanted side on the cue ball.

I agree that Dott cues like this quite a lot and he actually seems to 'snatch' quite often. (he does this more when the shot requires a lot of power) Although one cannot question Dott's ability, his cueing leaves a lot to be desired.

Re Ronnies shot last night, I think you'll find he turned his cue upon realising he was missing the shot. Ronnie's cueing is the best in the game. Smooth, straight follow through, excellent timing and effortless.
      Thanks.

I too advise against this but I felt it was more of a subconscious thing, or something the player didn't know was doing. I also suspected it may have been something down to physics.

When I play pool (8 ball), or watch anyone at my club or uni play 8 ball pool, regardless of their ability and the fact that they are playing with house cues, I never see this happen. Nor do I see the pro pool players in 8 or 9 ball do this.

Snatching is certainly a very fundamental mechanical error indeed, which at this level, should not be done at all. I never snatch on the cue as it kills spin, blocks the transfer of energy from my grip and stroke to the cue - cue ball, and it also throws the cue offline - like what we have seen here.

Comment

Yeah I noticed Dott doing it last night and was thinking to myself if I do that because he looks like he is not cueing straight

Comment

I have always worked to "the looser the grip the better" as it naturally encourages follow through which is what we all require for spin and potting. I play with 2 fingers underneath and my thumb to support, although I do have a tendency to tighten on power strokes
          Watch Exclusive Snooker Live & On Demand
          Freeview Snooker TV channel

Comment

it isnt a requirement to loosen the grip and then "clutch" as youre mid shot, but it seems to work for the majority.

i never do this. some great players dont do it. most pros do, at least a high majority of the time they take a shot.

Comment

I always sway my cue out for a long shot that needs a lot of spin.

Are we saying that straight cueing gives more accuracy and more swing gives more spin?
              Science is a refinement of everyday thinking -- Albert Einstein

Comment

If you're a good player then you should have no problem releasing the cue either left or right on the follow through. What I would say though is that this can't be done consistently without practice - it has to be part of the pre-shot routine so you must know in your mind exactly how you intend to push the cue through the ball before getting down onto your shot....you MUST NOT cue across the white ball because you'll not get the desired path you want the white ball to take. This is why beginner/intermediate players struggle to cue this way because there's a tendency to 'force' this shot rather than trusting a solid cue action.

Then you must ask yourself why you need to do this - although it's difficult to describe in written words, it simply helps to impart the required spin to get the action required out of the white ball. It's a fundamental of any ball sport so why should snooker be different - golf is the classic example....if you want to draw the ball from right to left then you swing the club slightly inside the line prior to contact with the ball and vice versa for the fade shot.

Taking it a step further and applying this principle to the cue action. All that happens is that (assuming you're right handed) if you're playing a shot with right hand side with this action (compare to the draw shot described above), you come inside the line with your follow through....and for left hand side you'll come outside the line.

And if you're confused with what 'the line' refers to - this is the plane or action required to achieve a perfectly straight line through the ball so that the ball itself would travel in a straight line.
                MaXimumbreak - Where Everyone's a Winner
                It's now free to join!!!
                MaXimumbreak Snooker Store

Comment

Originally Posted by maximumbreak
                  If you're a good player then you should have no problem releasing the cue either left or right on the follow through. What I would say though is that this can't be done consistently without practice - it has to be part of the pre-shot routine so you must know in your mind exactly how you intend to push the cue through the ball before getting down onto your shot....you MUST NOT cue across the white ball because you'll not get the desired path you want the white ball to take. This is why beginner/intermediate players struggle to cue this way because there's a tendency to 'force' this shot rather than trusting a solid cue action.

Then you must ask yourself why you need to do this - although it's difficult to describe in writeen words, it simply helps to impart the required spin to get the action required out of the white ball. It's a fundamental of any ball sport so why should snooker be different - golf is the classic example....if you want to draw the ball from right to left then you swing the club slightly inside the line prior to contact with the ball and vice versa for the fade shot.

Taking it a step further and applying this principle to the cue action. All that happens is that (assuming you're right handed) if you're right playing a shot with right hand side with this action (compare to the draw shot described above), you come inside the line with your follow through....and for left hand side you'll come outside the line.

And if you're confused with what 'the line' refers to - this is the plane or action required to achieve a perfectly straight line through the ball so that the ball itself would travel in a straight line.
                  Good post MB!

Comment

Originally Posted by -Blade- View Post
                    Since the last year I have watched a lot of snooker (ok, every televised event).

Anyway, I have noticed that when a lot of players, including all the big names, take a shot, the cue deflects left or right upon impact with the cue ball.

For example, O Sullivan did this in his match against Ding in the Snooker Premier League and so did Dott against Hendry in his Prem League match. Dott did this on a long distance shot and the shot was miles off from going in.

Related to this (this may be the cause), why do snooker players firm up on the grip in the backswing (seeing this from behind when the camera is there shows this), and then tighten up the grip upon contact with the cue ball? My stroke works the opposite way and it helps generate a lot of spin and also seems to help me pocket balls at pocket pace. In pool, the general lesson is to release the grip at contact with the CB for the reasons I said.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks
                    Hi,

I've read of your about question(s) in a book - Play to Win: Snooker by Jim Meadowcroft & John Hennessey.

Most snooker cue tips range from 9mm - 10mm, rarely go beyond 10mm. You must hit the exact centre to produce a plain shot (assuming other variables are correct: your bridge, head, arm, and elbow are in a straight line). A slight deviation from this point will produce unintentional spin, which will cause the cue ball to deflect. Top players rarely hit the centre. They will hit the 12 points of a clock face within the one inch inner circle of the cue ball in order to control the cue ball to run to the best position on the table for the next strategic shot. The swerve shot is an unpredictable shot. This is even more complicated by the nap of the table. To experience their situation, you may go to a snooker parlour and play on a 12' tournament grade table, then you will know.

The top players used to tighten their grip during followthrough to produce sure, firm hit. Most 9mm tip cues will act like a rattlesnake's tail at impact with the cue ball.

You may go to the tutorials and demo's by Steve Davis at www.snooker-cues-cuecases.co.uk
                    Last edited by snookaman; 6 March 2008, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by snookaman View Post
                      The swerve shot is an unpredictable shot. This is even more complicated by the nap of the table. To experience their situation, you may go to a snooker parlour and play on a 12' tournament grade table, then you will know.

The top players used to tighten their grip during followthrough to produce sure, firm hit.
                      Hey Snook,

...........totally agree here, and really 'admire' the world trick shots champions when they perform their 'amazing' shots in competition, making it all look so easy.

I've practiced masse on and off for a few years now, and recently started practicing trick shots, still having good and bad days with it. In terms of stance anyway, I always tend to feel more in control of my cueing action if my body is a bit more rigid, and straight, so when I'm downward striking on the cueball, the whole action feels smoother and more together.

In terms of the grip, I think if anything it tends to be too tight sometimes, and for comfort more than anything tend to bring my gripping hand down along the cue as well, which feels less restrictive, and again helps with control. And when I've had my grip too loose in the past, the opposite happens really, and just can't seem to gain any momentum at all.

My bridge hand is the most uncomfortable though, still need to work this out really. And often laugh about this as my fingers hurt so much, but what can you do? With my bridge hand raised on 3 fingers, technically, it seems to work ok though, and the cue seems to slot in quite nicely, and feels quite 'balanced'. And still not sure either, if it's actually the 'pressure' on your fingers that makes them hurt, or if it's the angle that the fingers are positioned in? I'll keep persevering though....

All the best.

Lol....xx
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X