Shaftmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaftmaster

I have been putting cue tips on my cues for the last 30 years and would consider myself to be quite skilled in selecting and fitting tips.
    I have found though as I getting older I haven't the patience to spend time getting it just right and often just throw a tip on and go down the club.
    I've been looking at getting a lathe to do my tips as the results are outstanding and it takes next to no time at all. So while searching the web I found a device called the shaftmaster, I thought this is great but was shocked at the price. I couldn't believe that such a simple device could be worth 735 dollors ( not sure what this in pounds but still very expensive).
    I would have put a value of around £150 tops.
    I did some more searches and found a device called the pocket lathe system which is just two small rollers that you place the cue on for shaping the tip
    Only cost £11. Has anyone brought any kind of lathe for re-tipping and how do you rate it and what was the price.
    Ps I'm thinking of making a lathe.

Ha ha. Like you I am getting old and impatient so would be interested in your £11 version. Any details?

Comment

Hi Bigmeek, try this
      http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Try this link for the cheap device, it's good but still time comsuming.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opEt4...eature=related
      Last edited by cazmac1; 7 October 2010, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
        Hi Bigmeek, try this
        http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Try this link for the cheap device, it's good but still time comsuming.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opEt4...eature=related
        This one costs 69$

Whats the link for shaft master? and the link for 11gbp one?

Comment

Originally Posted by oscarthegrouch View Post
          Shaftmaster?

Sounds like a title for a 70's film (If you know what I mean)
          lol
          I think i get it :P

Comment

I am not sure if you can use the shaft master for a snooker cue...
            And it is rubbish, I had one before when they were cheaper (but was designed and made basically the same way, I think by a guy called Jude or something). You can do tips--if you are really familiar with using this equipment--but anything else is a gamble.
            There is no precision and not enough power for most other work.
            The kind with the rollers basically is designed for someone working on very cheap cues. You are supposed to attached your cue to a drill, turn it on, let it spin on those rollers then work on your tip. Again, I am not sure if they are long enough for a snooker cue, and they have no precision nor power. Worst than the shaftmaster--it is a joke, does not even have a tool post.
            You are better off doing it by hand. It will take you more time to use the roller one if you want to do a good job.
            You can buy a Chinese made mini metal lathe for about $400-$500, which is a much better choice in my opinon.
            Last edited by poolqjunkie; 8 October 2010, 03:10 AM.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Thanks for the advice poolqjunkie, I sort of guessed the shaftmaster was rubbish. I was only looking to do work on the tip and not the shaft.
              Have you got any more info on the chinese lathe, a link possibly.

The cheap one with the drill attached I could make myself. I have a tool called a rota zip which has a very good motor and spins at very high speed.
              But I think If I could buy a lathe from china for as little as 200 dollors I'd go for that option.

Comment

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-...the-93212.html
                I dont have one myself.
                I know a guy who purchase two of these, jointed them together back to back, and he has been using them for years working on US pool cues in various tournaments and shows. I have seen it many times.
                Seems to have good power and precise enough. Better than some cue smith lathe I ahve seen, and is easier to carry around.
                I think if you get one (it may be under a different name in the Uk, just search mini lathe) and get yourself some kind of rest to hold your cue, it would work for snooker cues as well. A snooker shaft is very long, so you need an extension and a rest to hold the shaft/butt in place.
                In my opinion, doing it by hand is easier and faster if you only do a tip once in a while.
                But you should be able to also do ferrules and even work on 3/4 butt(like a SD joint) or facing the joint with this little guy with a bit of modifications I believe. It is a very small machine, they come in different lengths, the longer they are more expensive they become. This is made in China, but is not a piece of junk. Like I said, I have seen it many times and it looks very decent, durable, with good power and precision. You may need to modify it a bit for cues, but should not be too complicated.
                Last edited by poolqjunkie; 8 October 2010, 04:49 PM.
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Thanks Poolqjunkie,
                  Great info I'll have a look

Comment

Working...
                  X